Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
I have one of those magical Model 700s.. bought it in 1980.. I has discharged 4 times on its own over the years....

Keep your finger off the trigger.....

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by Scott F
Digging out the old 700 25-06. That is the straight on the trigger. Mine has been around.Serial #A659XXXX.

Is it something I need to be concerned about or just a bunch of talk?

All a bunch of horse $hit/Liberal Media Lies.

Even if it was true you would never admit it and tarnish your beloved 700!!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Marlin1895
http://www.scilowcountry.org/kenny_jarretts_rifle_cleaning_tips.htm from Kenny Jarrett on trigger maintenance plus other rifle cleaning and maintenance tips. He recommends lighter fluid squirted through the trigger so it runs out the bottom. I think that Jarrett built some of his rifles on M700 actions, but do not know if the factory trigger is usually kept.

Nah Kenny builds his rifles on his own actions. He gave up on anything but an older Rem Action a long time ago.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have read and copied the diagrams posted. I have cleaned the old girl and cleaned out the trigger with alcohol and lacquer thinner. waxing the underside before I put it back in the stock.

I have tried to get it to malfunction and cannot et to fire any way but the way it is supposed to fire.

The plan it to adopt Steelhead's method and keep the chamber empty until I am ready to shoot.

Thanks for the help.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's no need for that. There is no issue.

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Really??? Like you would know ???

If the guy feels better running an empty chamber who's to say otherwise???

Better to be confident with your weapon !!!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

The 2 dozen people killed and 100+ injured by the non-issue will be relieved to hear that.

remington issue

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of those magical Model 700s.. bought it in 1980.. I has discharged 4 times on its own over the years..

Why don't you get it fixed ? (not to mention why you have continued to use it after the first "discharge" )

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Are you serious?

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There may be no need for it but after reading here about hunting with an empty chamber I decided to do the rest of my hunting that way. I read what was posted and weighed it with how posted and made my decision. End of discussion for me.

See Steelhead, and old dog can learn...

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Biggs300
I've owned 2 different Rem 700's in 25-06 cal. for the past 35+ years and never had a misfire from working the bolt or otherwise. Last year, one of the guys in our hunting party had a misfire on his Rem 700 30-06 while unloading. A guy I work with also told me had a misfire while unloading a couple of years ago. I didn't see either misfire myself. I'm a bit concerned, but my little 25-06 is accurate and one of my favorites. Though I might consider a trigger replacement, I won't be getting rid of the rifle anytime soon.

I've own many Rem 700's and never had a misfire either,although just recently my 17 year old 700BDL 7mm/08 wont cock.
I assume the cocking issue is a result of dirt in the trigger mechanism too ?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Bet it is dirt in the bolt assembly.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There may be no need for it but after reading here about hunting with an empty chamber

The girls are afraid of firearms. There is no safety issue unless they pulled the trigger with the safety off, which is exactly what they did.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one of those magical Model 700s.. bought it in 1980.. I has discharged 4 times on its own over the years...

I treat it like it has NO safety... some say I should have dumped it, but I wasn't going to morally stick someone else with it..

probably should have sent it back to Remington, but the first couple of times I thought it was something I did wrong...

It went off once and could have taken my foot off... missed it by inches... thought I had done something wrong..it was slung over my back with muzzle at the ground... my dad taught me to carry a rifle that way, so that it would not discharge into the air... he was in the Air Force... so I assumed that was his reasoning for that one..

The other two times it made me jump, but was not aimed at anything or anyone unsafe... due to the first time...

Last time I had loaned it to a friend who wanted an 06 for Elk hunting.. I warned him about the problem... I was with him at the time...its an ADL, so he was unloading it and cycling the rounds out of it...I had turned away, and he changed direction working the bolt.. and it went off...

about 25 yds from a guy who was getting into his new Chevy dually pickup, brand new, set up for pulling a 5th wheel... custom paint job and the whole bit...

the 180 bullet went thru both fenders on his new truck, that the plates hadn't even arrived yet..

needless to say the guy was livid... my buddy was pissed at me, like it was my fault...

the barrel got pulled and the rest of the rifle's life it has been used as a single shot rifle at the range and for shooting varmints... but mainly target practice..

You sure showed Timney, Shilen , etc. by not buying one of their triggers by god....

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
There may be no need for it but after reading here about hunting with an empty chamber

The girls are afraid of firearms. There is no safety issue unless they pulled the trigger with the safety off, which is exactly what they did.

Yep...swampy's right...Remington was just pulling everybodys crank when they admitted they were aware of the problem...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

Are you serious?

Read my signature line....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The XMark original triggers that I have are both working wonderfully so far.

It is so easy to swap out a trigger of something other than the original design, that this really need not be an issue for anyone considering the purchase of a used Remington.

It is also pretty easy to superglue the connector to the trigger body and eliminate the problem as well.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

The designer of said trigger a Mr Walker said the device was faulty..but you go girl.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Jorge, you are correct. I have allowed myself to fall into another cauldron of fecal matter by one that believes he can polish a turd.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Jorge, you are correct. I have allowed myself to fall into another cauldron of fecal matter by one that believes he can polish a turd - - - or at the very least pick one up by the clean end .

Fixed it for ya. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

47 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 257_X_50, 6MMWASP, 907brass, 8 invisible), 1,436 guests, and 801 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,080
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.