Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I now have a Remington just about every version of trigger they've offered. Original ADL 243(bolt lock safety on) , Sedero 25-06(pre x mark), 7-08 varmint (original x mark), 257 Bob classic(x mark adj in trigger shoe), 223 XCR tactical 40x trigger.
The original has dropped the firing pin on me before "but" never before I adjusted it. Cleaned ,readjusted and kept dry it hasn't since. It will be given to my son one day and will be replaced before doing so. The Sendero and varmint after proper adjustment work good. The Classic x mark adjustment screw in the trigger shoe sux azz. 40X is the best of the bunch.

WarDamnEagle
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've thought about have my two sons Rem 700 BDLs in 270 (matching LH (handed down from his grandfather) and RH (handed down from me) bought in the late 60s (RH) and late 70s (LH)) triggers replaced with Shilens. I probably will do so, but since Norm Thompson adjusted the triggers and the RH one has seen 40 years of hunting and at least 15 years of 100 days / year hunting and taken some hard falls without a glitch, I find it hard to take out such a fabulous trigger.

Last edited by colorado; 10/01/11.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
the only time that I had an issue of the trigger going off when the safety was pushed off was when I had the trigger adjusted to light.

Shilen triggers are hard to beat, jewels are very nice but it depends on how much dirt you plan to get in a trigger.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Had one go off after being adjusted down to a mere 4lbs. None of the other screws were touched, and still had the factory glue over them.

Gun was hunted in the rain the day before, not sure if that had any bearing. Flipped safety, BOOM! My other remmys only wear aftermarkets now.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Only one I've ever had go off was with an aftermarket trigger. Point being, nothing can overcome a wrongly adjusted trigger and just cuzz it weren't made by Remington means not a thing.

Empty chambers rule.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm gonna tell this little story and you can make of it what you will; I'm not saying that with all of the rifles that Remington makes, a dud doesn't get through every once in a while but.....I bought a nib Varmint Special (Rem 700). I took it apart, cleaned it well, and adjusted the trigger to a crisp 32oz. I bounced it on the floor, I put the safety on and pulled the trigger, and then took the safety off, etc. Everything was fine. That evening, a friend came over and I proudly showed him the rifle. He took it, cycled the action to make sure it was unloaded, put the safety on, brought it to his shoulder and flipped the safety off. The "CLICK" sounded as loud as a thunder clap. We looked at each other big eyed. He did it again. Again "CLICK". I took the rifle and couldn't get it to "fire" when I took the safety off. WTF!! Long story short, my friend's manner of handling a rifle was to place his index finger lightly on the trigger as he held the rifle. When he would flip the safety off with his thumb, his index finger would automatically twitch. Enough to trip the hammer. Once we figured this out, he still could not keep his finger from moving just enough to trip the hammer. I, on the other hand, didn't put my finger on the trigger until I was ready to fire.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Had one go off after being adjusted down to a mere 4lbs. None of the other screws were touched, and still had the factory glue over them...

Improper adjustment of the sear will malfunction at any pull weight.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Only one I've ever had go off was with an aftermarket trigger. Point being, nothing can overcome a wrongly adjusted trigger and just cuzz it weren't made by Remington means not a thing.

Empty chambers rule.

You convinced me of that a long time ago. Not so sure how well it will work with my muzzle loader but I will carry an empty chamber on my modern stuff from now on.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Safer yet to keep your ammo in your pocket.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDFinn

That's how I do it with the #1s, unless, of course, I'm hunting something that may be hunting me. I won't hunt with a bolt gun that doesn't readily and reliably pick up the first round when the bolt is worked; takes no time at all, and it sure won't go off before that.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Why bother to load it at all? Just leave the components on your reloading bench.

Leaving them in the magazine works just fine for me.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmm....I have paid little attention to this issue, but now I just remembered the 8mm magnum in the closet. Never had a problem with it, but....

Reckon a Timney is in store for it...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 6MMWASP, 9 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,082
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.