Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In reference to the original question; Load your 44mag with the toughest cast core loads you can get. A pistol on the hip isn't all that much more to carry and if you get jumped by a bear chances are it will stay put in the holster better than a rifle will in your hands. I wouldn't go hunting a grizz with any pistol but it's better to have and not need than need and not have. Best option is the rifle of course, but the question was if a pistol was DOABLE as grizz defense. Hopefully you will never find out. And as my buddy who hunts in bear country out in Wyoming says, "Keep one round for yourself." Good hunting.

Last edited by brinky72; 10/02/11.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now TRH is saying he's been hunting before.

So far, that's the biggest load of bullshit on this thread.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well I have learned a lot. Guess I am just a stupid fool and never need to carry anything but a stick in grizzly country so my fingernail file should be overkill here in black bear and cougar country.

I am about to do some salmon fishing. If a bear comes along a 1/4 oz Buzz Bomb should do the trick. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Now TRH is saying he's been hunting before.

So far, that's the biggest load of bullshit on this thread.
Compared to most of the folks here at the Fire, I'm not a hunter, though I have hunted a bit here and there over the years. Got my first small game license before a hunter safety course/certification was a requirement. Was grandfathered in thereafter for big game licenses, and therefore didn't need that certificate, but since I worked at a hunting/fishing/camping/gun shop that offered the course and certification I eventually took it and got one anyway. That was about eighteen years ago.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Scott, looking at the original post.
He recommended that, in addition to my .30-06 bolt gun, I also bring a bear stopping handgun to wear while hunting.

Guess I am just a stupid fool and never need to carry anything but a stick in grizzly country so my fingernail file should be overkill here in black bear and cougar country.

Nobody here is saying to not carry anything.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I know of two individuals that by carrying a handgun while hunting with a rifle were able to save themselves with the handgun.

Both individuals were attacked before they could bring their rifles to up in order to get off a shot. The first one was finally able to get his 357 Ruger in hand and shot the Bear in the mouth and at that point the bear lost interest, turned and walked away. He suffered severe injuries, but the handgun saved his life.

The second individual was Moose hunting when the bear attacked, again before he could get of off a shot with his rifle. Luckily he was carrying a 44 mag Desert Eagle and was able to kill the bear. I remember his quote when interviewed in the hospital that he would have loved to have shot his hunting partner that ran away when the attack occurred

I carry a handgun and I always have it with me in Grizzly country, always

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I read the OP and understand exactly what he is saying.

I do not live in grizzly country but I have been there several times. Once took 22 high schoolers fishing in Alaska. I carried a handgun as did two other adults and they were from Alaska. Not a rifle in the bunch and there were bear signs all around us.

But the general expert consensus seems to be against carrying a handgun.

So is a #2 Lil' Corky with some green yarn big enough to fend off a bear? Is 15 pound test enough?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While working at Old Faithful lodge a couple of springs ago, Ricky Ranger had to get griz off a killed buff, as it was becoming a problem with it's proximity to our work.

They waded in there with 12 gauges. Their back up pistols were their standard issues, not .44 magnums.. take that for what it's worth.

As for getting the bear to boogie, cracker rounds and beanbags worked very well.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Bears are like people, they don't all act or re-act alike. Most bears that I have been around high-tailed it when they smelled or saw a person, but the one that came in on me cleaning the Moose didn't care that we were there and we were talking very loud trying to discourage bears. Works most of the time, but not that time

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Scott F

But the general expert consensus seems to be against carrying a handgun.

So is a #2 Lil' Corky with some green yarn big enough to fend off a bear? Is 15 pound test enough?

nobody said that about fishing, unless you fish with a big bore rifle slung on your back.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I forgot the smiley Steve. I am just poking a little fun. I will o fishing and I will carry just like I carry every day.I never expect a problem but I try to always be ready. If I had a 45 LC or such I would carry it while fishing ect and leave the 1911 at home.I do not so the 1911 will have to do.

Here is the missing smiley. grin

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

Bears are like people, they don't all act or re-act alike. Most bears that I have been around high-tailed it when they smelled or saw a person, but the one that came in on me cleaning the Moose didn't care that we were there and we were talking very loud trying to discourage bears. Works most of the time, but not that time
I guess it depend on how hungry they are.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I forgot the smiley Steve. I am just poking a little fun. I will o fishing and I will carry just like I carry every day.I never expect a problem but I try to always be ready. If I had a 45 LC or such I would carry it while fishing ect and leave the 1911 at home.I do not so the 1911 will have to do.

I like your approach to these things, i.e., if you don't have the spare cash, that means you cannot get something. The banks have trained most folks to respond to that situation by just going ever deeper into debt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

sorry, I should have figured that out.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If you want more power you might check out Clark Custom's .460 Rowland conversion. Costs about $300, drops in with no fitting, brass available from Starline, can use .45 ACP dies to load. I'm getting 1500 fps+ with a 185 grain bullet out of this cartridge.

Si vis pacem para bellum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hawk

Hard to believe all the advice. Seems to me that you got your advice from the guys that you will be hunting with. Here's mine. Take your 329 and Fed CC on your hip and forget about it. Just like the guys recommended. And hope that you don't have to pull it except to unload.

I have Buffalo Bores in .41mag for my Black Hawk, but the cylinder of my little Taurus is too short for them. The 250gr Fed CastCores work great in the Taurus. They are a shorter cartridge in the .41mag, for sure. Good luck on your hunt.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Joatmon
If you want more power you might check out Clark Custom's .460 Rowland conversion. Costs about $300, drops in with no fitting, brass available from Starline, can use .45 ACP dies to load. I'm getting 1500 fps+ with a 185 grain bullet out of this cartridge.

I would love to try one but I am living on SS alone. Without some major life changing miracle What I have now will be it for the rest of the time I have. I will live with it and keep smiling.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I carried it for when a rifle was not in hand or if I got knocked down and was still able to do something, I am a believer in "NEVER GIVE UP".

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
It certainly is not a Grizzly. It is not even a bear. I am, however, glad I was wearing my .44 Vaquero while working on the tractor this afternoon. I also had a rifle and a shotgun in the cab but could never have gotten off a shot if I had not had a revolver.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Notropis
It certainly is not a Grizzly. It is not even a bear. I am, however, glad I was wearing my .44 Vaquero while working on the tractor this afternoon. I also had a rifle and a shotgun in the cab but could never have gotten off a shot if I had not had a revolver.

[Linked Image]

Which is exactly the reason for carrying a pistol, for when you CAN'T get off a shot with a rifle, eg. close quarters, confined spaces, rifle out of reach, and quite a few other reasons.

So you guys who only carry a rifle please tell me what you will do when you spring a bear at close range and your rifle is knocked from your hands? Or you wake up to see a bear half inside your tent? Call time out till you get it back or reach for something else, even if it's just the knife on your belt, or just lay down and wait to die?

p.s. this is not meant to be a personal attack on anyone so please don't take offense.

The original international turd
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (007FJ, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1234, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,070
Posts18,521,609
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.