-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard chrome or electroless nickle has FAR more rust protection than stainless. Glock's Tenifer is pretty bad ass stuff also.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Hard chrome or electroless nickle has FAR more rust protection than stainless. Glock's Tenifer is pretty bad ass stuff also.

+1.........

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jwp475

+1.........

+2....my daily carry Commander is HC and after daily carry for 4 years still looks like new.... Electroless-Nickel is the finish Colt put on some of their guns in the 1970s...not near as durable as HC and starts to look "grainy' after a while....it WILL also rust...been there, done that...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Interesting. When I ran a hard chrome plating facility hard chrome was not considered a rust inhibitor. It was for wear only.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So, who makes a double rifle in 505 Gibbs? How do you carry one all day while working on a farm, fishing and such?

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Scott F
Interesting. When I ran a hard chrome plating facility hard chrome was not considered a rust inhibitor. It was for wear only.

Never seen a hard chrome firearm rust......

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hard chrome (chrome6) will rust. I have sent a bunch of samples to the lab for salt spray and all rusted.

Hard chrome is not a smooth surface, It has fine cracks that are necessary in order to be hard. Those fine cracks will eventually allow corrosion.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I have a Les Baer SRP that's been hard chromed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, who makes a double rifle in 505 Gibbs? How do you carry one all day while working on a farm, fishing and such?

Typically double rifles are chambered in lower pressure and rimmed rounds like the .450s (No. 2 and 3 1/4-inch), the .470 NE and the .500 NE (on up). THe .505 Gibbs is a caliber for a bolt action rifle.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
here is a good link on the .460 rowland clark conversion.
I have done this to a norinco 1911a1.
it has a lot of snort.
pretty much a .44magnum in a pistol.
With the springs and muzzle break, it is much nicer shooting than a .44magnum pistol however.
and it does penetrate given some of the stuff i have put xtp bullets through.
http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt460r.htm

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh no! Do they make a 505 double rifle in plastic?

You'll have to ask Bricktop that one, that's his specialty. grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup, if I was young pup getting into the hand gun hunting game I'd have me a .460 Rowland.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
it has a lot of snort.
With the springs and muzzle break, it is much nicer shooting than a .44magnum pistol however.

OK getting back to being serious for a moment. That would be a lot of fun and if I had the opportunity I would buy a good frame and have the work done. Unless the winning lottery ticket shows up it is not an option for me. So I will continue to cast my 235 gr truncated cone and just use what I have. It may not be the ideal grizzly gun and it may not even be adequate for black bear but it will do more than a Lil' Corky with a piece of green yarn on fifteen pound test.

I would also own a good single action like the Ruger Alaskan, and probably a 45-70 double rifle just because I have always wanted them. wink

Getting back to the original post Hawkeye asked a reasonable question. He is going into a land strange to him where there are big bears. I believe he is trying to use common sense. He asked those who might know more about the subject than he knows. Isn't that what this place is about?

I know he is experiences with handguns. I know from reading his posts he has a lot of practice time both drawing and shooting. I will go on record as supporting his carrying a handgun in grizzly country. If for no other reason it will give him a sense of security and allow him to have a great hunt. I for one wish him well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Scott, if you win the lottery don't screw around go first class. Make sure you get the compensator because they look and help with recoil.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_4602.htm

Make sure you check out the video at the bottom of the page.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks Tim. Now all I need are those six magic numbers. grin

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
it has a lot of snort.
Here's a demo of the .460.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Thanks Scott, and to all here who've made this an interesting thread with lots of good information.

Today I had my gunsmith neuter the frame-mounted key lock from my S&W 329PD. He just filed off the "tooth" from the inside, so it looks like the locking mechanism is still there, but turning it does nothing. The advantage to this is that it doesn't leave a hole for debris to get in, and of course I don't have to worry about the lock engaging under recoil, which apparently has been reported to have happened with the heavier hitting, lighter weight, S&W revolvers. The disadvantage only comes into play if I sell it in this condition and someone thinks they've made it "child proof" by turning the key on it, and then leaves it out where kids can get it. Before selling it, therefore, I'd have the key lock restored, but I have no intention of selling such a cool gun, so it's a moot point.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

What makes people think a pistol can't be knocked from their hands?

No one ever said it couldn't, the point is that carrying a pistol as well as a rifle makes sense, there will be times when the rifle is not able to be deployed quickly or is not in your hands eg. you're slopping along fifty yards from the truck, it's cold and wet, you've been out all day and not seen a thing, your rifle's slung over your shoulder. You go to swing it up and it catches on some brush. Or, you're pumping up the raft about to float down river, head down pumping and a bear knocks you on your tail.
I understand you don't want to carry a pistol for whatever reason and that's fine by me, I just wondered what you would do in a situation where your rifle is out of play for whatever reason and a bear is up close and personal, wanting to turn you into a happy meal or beat the snot out of you for being too close to its cubs etc

The original international turd
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TFF... Your scenarios are as likely as TRH actually going on this hunt, or Derbydude actually venturing outside..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am sure you have a lot more experience in grizzly country than I do but I am surprised who you think a handgun is such a bad idea. Not being a smart ass this time but just really want to know. I am willing to rethink my views.

My handgun is on my body or in reach 24/7. My rifles are not. A handgun could get knocked out of my hand but so could a rifle. Somewhere I am missing your point.

Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (10gaugemag, 338Rules, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 17,011 guests, and 870 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,179
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.