Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
As someone else mentioned, the inherent difficulty of a hunt will be dictated by game populations, accessability, your own skills and your ethics. I hunted private land for the first 10 years and it was not that much better than the public land I hunt now. I have also seen private land that has a hunter looking at a couple dozen bucks a day and I would not want to tag out like that. Several years ago I bust my butt on a pack trip, logged about 40 miles in the week and walked away with an unfilled tag. Driving out the next day I had a chance to dump an excellent buck about 100 yards off the road. I kept driving because it would be tough for me to brag up the story about how I jumped out of my truck and punched my tag.

I have no desire to sit in a tree or over a bait station but I readily admit if your sitting on the only available water source for miles you may as well be sitting over a hay field. In the end it comes down to want a person wants to do to satisfy their own desires and consider a hunt successful. Personally right now that means putting on a pack and going in on foot. I know someday I will not be able to do that physically and then I might pay to hunt property that facilitates other means of transportation to get to the game.

Some may enjoy a hunt that consists of driving a boat up and down the river but that same person may consider using a quad or a horse to be an unrespected means of hunting. A lot of this might right on regional traditions and preferences that may be hard to understand unless your the one that grew up doing it that way.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
varmintsinc,

You could have at least taken photo through your scope for us. smile

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
...Some may enjoy a hunt that consists of driving a boat up and down the river but that same person may consider using a quad or a horse to be an unrespected means of hunting...

That person would be a no-account, tin-plated schit bird.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by jim62

Just because folks hunt on private land does not mean the animals are not free ranging or fenced in or the hunt is easy.

Sorry to say, but that is indeed the case here.

Same here. They are grain fed right before season starts too....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by jim62

Just because folks hunt on private land does not mean the animals are not free ranging or fenced in or the hunt is easy.

Sorry to say, but that is indeed the case here.

Same here. They are grain fed right before season starts too....

Sorry guys; just because you say its true doesn't make it so. You wouldn't believe something I posted of a controversial nature if all I offered in the way of proof is typing it in a forum post.

I'll add the caveat that you may be correct, but unless some form of proof isn't offered I choose to believe otherwise.

IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Ringman
varmintsinc,

You could have at least taken photo through your scope for us. smile

This is all I got, sorry about the lack of large elk or anything else. hahaha
[Linked Image]

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
varmintsinc,

Those crosshairs are fantastic. What scope is that?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Nothing fancy, just a mil-dot in the SWFA 3x9.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
1025 yd steel, MK4 16X scope,
[Linked Image]

340 yd muley, SS 16X scope,
[Linked Image]

700 yd muley, MK4 16X scope,
[Linked Image]

700 yd muley, MK4 16X scope,
[Linked Image]

375 yd steel, SS 16X scope,
[Linked Image]

680 yd rock, SS 16X scope,
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
John, can you pm me some of the specs of that rifle in the picture with the grizz?? Looks like an FN A3G or something. Thanks... Very cool pics there.

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Looks like a McMillan A3.

Shane is right it is an A-3. Last season was the first year I had all my rifles with our new stock.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Great pics Burns. Thanks for posting them for us flatlanders!

Thanks JG.

Thanks for the reticles pictures from varmintinc, MontannaMarine (Shane).
Originally Posted by Boxer
...just as John Bushman's Critters get smaller,the further she gets outta the pasture.

Lil Fish,
Actually it seems to work just the opposite for me. Might be a lesson in there somewhere. cool

This is my best private land elk.

[Linked Image]

This is my best public land bull.

[Linked Image]

This is my best private land White tail.

[Linked Image]

This is my best public ground White Tail.

[Linked Image]

I never have killed a Mule Deer buck on private and this is most likely my best Muley.

[Linked Image]

While Taco was waiting for the tide to come back in I snapped this picture. Our Wyoming beaches look a lot different. grin
[Linked Image]

While your backyard and beach pictures are very nice I don't think you are really getting out and enjoying the real wilderness your state has to offer. laugh

Damn I left the boat around here somewhere. shocked shocked

[img]http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb428/GreybullPrecision/551b6f44.jpg[/img]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is probably my best through the scope shot: S&B CQB Short Dot LE (IIRC) mounted on either a Barret 6.8 SPC SBR or a Colt 6920. 4x @ 100 yards on B27.

My oldest son shot two whitetail bucks with this scope on the 6.8 (I worked for BFMI at the time). And my youngest later killed two does with the same scope on a Colt LW HBAR.

Who makes an adaptor to let you better use a Canon DSLR through a scope?

[Linked Image]

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I love the post on that scope ColdCase!

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Burnsie,
Lil Big Lips a Flappn' will be along later as they just tied up rover..
The dammed pooch has been chasen' the big black bear off the fish head bait pile they got set up in the back yard fur Lil Fish jr.
Lil Fish jr. is going to show you how it's done and you are going to be one sorry sob and wishn' ya never started this thread time they are done with you! laugh laugh laugh

Oh iffn' the bear don't come back to their yard they'll just wander down to the creek and plink one pigging out on the fish carci...

Kinda' like shootn' a booner off a Texas tank, or that guy shooting that bull elk that you showed earlier from a haybale blind..
Same thing in all three scenarios the way I see it...
Not that I begrudge someone for doing that..

Last edited by Nrut; 10/07/11.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Here are a couple through a SWFA SS 5x20 with the enhanced mil-dot. The open diamonds get lost in low light far faster than a solid dot but trimming the magnification to 10-12x still give a good enough view. The glass is fabulous and easily equal to anything Nightforce has under $2000. Sorry my photo skills suck to much to show how good the glass really is. Without an adapter how do you guys use a point and shoot camera? running with a Nikon S9100 if it matters. Using mil math (size in inches x 27.8/size in mils) shows the tree at 222-250yards using an 8 or 9" value, LRF says 231yards.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Cool pics--game or steel, etc.

Here's one of my 3 MOA TK Lee reticles i had Wally Siebert install in a 24x Leupold converted to LER (~16x now)on a 22 BR XP-100--

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...but my favorite rig to shoot these days is my Ruger Charger/Kidd barrel using the ultimate 22 LR optic--the PFI Rapid Reticle. Some of the PD's I've shot with this rig have been taken as far out as 300 yds. now, compliments of the very low-profile target turret comeups added to lowest stadia subtension--

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SS, looks like a ring near the end of barrel on your Charger; is she threaded? That rig with a suppressor would be a very practical "truck gun." grin

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Nrut
Burnsie,
Lil Big Lips a Flappn' will be along later as they just tied up rover..
The dammed pooch has been chasen' the big black bear off the fish head bait pile they got set up in the back yard fur Lil Fish jr.
Lil Fish jr. is going to show you how it's done and you are going to be one sorry sob and wishn' ya never started this thread time they are done with you! laugh laugh laugh

Oh iffn' the bear don't come back to their yard they'll just wander down to the creek and plink one pigging out on the fish carci...

Kinda' like shootn' a booner off a Texas tank, or that guy shooting that bull elk that you showed earlier from a haybale blind..
Same thing in all three scenarios the way I see it...
Not that I begrudge someone for doing that..

Yeah, a Booner that would weigh 85 lbs after they rolled the guts out.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Took a few more scope pictures yesterday afternoon.

Antelope buck at 1270yds.

[Linked Image]

Whitetail buck at 350 yds

[Linked Image]

Bullwinkle at 750yds

[Linked Image]

Another Bullwinkle at 70yds and scope at 4.5X

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I figured Lil Fish was feeling left out because he cannot get any good "through the scope" pictures so here is an AR/dead fish picture just for him.

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
grin cool

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
SS, looks like a ring near the end of barrel on your Charger; is she threaded? That rig with a suppressor would be a very practical "truck gun." grin

Dan--that's just the Kidd logo they put on their barrels. Would be nice for that though. I was out a couple days ago with Chad and Dennis after antelopin' and they were shooting at a prairie dog at 300 yds. They wanted to shoot the Charger and couldn't believe it would get out to 300 yds. So i cranked in 20 MOA addtl. to the 200-yd. 21 MOA stadia line and it was dead on all around the dog. But in the 10 mph effective wind it took about 25 shots to kill it--but we did. 40 gr. Blazer passed through the dog and kicked up dirt on the far side of him, and he started bouncing up and down all over beofre succumbing to the lung shot. It really was dramatic...and FUN!

Here's a 435-yd. coyote laying dead at the 1.5 mil line of Darrell Holland's HUMR reticle on top of my 6.5 WSM XP-100. 1st shot at a game animal out of this rig--

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,621 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.