Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ropes

Not just Guide lic increases but all Occupational Licenses across the board.

My professional license fee has not gone up. I have to renew it next month - thx for the reminder.

Looks like they are finally going to build those projects in Hyder.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Maybe it's not accross the board .... but I see several other occupational licenses are going up also.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ropes
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by BW
So all the worrying about the poor assistant guide... eh, no big deal. Not even $200 difference.

I never cared much for the non-resident guide rule anyhow, so that doesn't bother me. I mean, why should a non-resident hunter be required to hire a guide, only to find himself next to a non-resident guide?

Never could quite understand that rule either. It's all about the $$$$.

Actually I believe it's about the United States Constitution ....

Not quite.

Where in the Constitution does it spell out hunting guide requirements? whistle

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Actually I think it has to do with discrimination ..

But I've been wrong before ... whistle

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I think they are trying to kill 2 birds here. Confiscate more money for the State initially, AND also trying to "purge" the inactive Guides from the system. But, at the same time... It will also make my freshly "re-newed" License more valuable than before! (less of us) With the "Raise" that's sure to come, I might make $10 an hour next season instead of $8! Woohooo!!! smirk

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Kodiman,the problem is the next season is spring with those really long days.You won't even make the $8 grin

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
ha ha. Yep Trapperj you are right!

I'm also one of those guys you describe. 30+ years hunting in Alaska, and Assist on only a couple hunts a year. There are lots of us that do this. I may not re-new next time around. Just not worth it.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I just hope everyone is writing to the state as much as they are here.

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nah, not so much.

If $170 is a deal killer, they are doing you a favor.

Brian

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by helidriver72
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
With a Grizz hunt going for 20,000+ and a Moose about the same, not to mention the price on Goat and Sheep you'll forgive me if I don't shed a tear for a $450 increase.

My business licenses cost me more than that per year....

Your probly one of those guys that think outfitters are getting rich? Do you have any idea what a gallon of gas costs in the bush?

Ah, Yes, many of us here do know the cost of gas in the bush - and of other things also. We actually live here.

Them critters ain't YOUR critters! They are OURS (as in belonging to ALL the people of Alaska). Consider it a royalty on a resource - less than oil, only slightly more than mineral (don't get me started on Pebble!). I pay a royalty with my permit app fees (I'm now officially a Geezer with a permanent hunting license) for my personal use/eating animals. You are mining a public resource.

I'm one of those guys that think Outfitters shouldn't consider 2 to 4 month's worth of work an annual salary.(and yeah, outfitting and guiding is bust-azz work)

That said, that cost increase will be passed along to the clients, so where's the beef? Guided clients- especially non-residents, probably provide the state with as much or more revenue than all the non-guided/no outfitter hunters. I doubt either good outfitters or guides will have trouble filling out their dance-cards due to a slight % increase in hunt cost.

Last edited by las; 10/08/11.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Calvin
I'm sure many guides are not the owners of their operation. Most guides make a low wage for what they do, and do it because they love doing it. I bet $450 is almost 2 days wages for the seasonal guides who only have a limited number of days in the field a year. Do assistant guides need a guide license as well? I'm sure they don't make a whole lot. I doubt those guides are going to see a wage increase to offset the rising

Calvin's comment applies directly to myself and yes assistant guides do need a license.

las;
I was replying to aces when I made the comment about gas prices, I would never make that reply to someone from Kotzebue and I'm not sure why you responded to it?
For the record I'm not an outfitter but I do know that it takes alot more than 2-4 months out of the year for them to run their business.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by BW
Nah, not so much.

If $170 is a deal killer, they are doing you a favor.

That looks like a pretty nice boat! Do you use it to make your living? I wonder if you'd be writing some letters if the registration for it almost doubled?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
most our occ. lic. fees went up 60%, but some doubled.

actually corresponded with Jun via email over it.

asked for and received the budget numbers.

far different than several years ago when asking for same and the woman from Occ licensing told me "that's not public info"

had to set her mind right, that was fun.

trust me, the folks in Juneau think they're doing you a favor and some even think/pretend what they do, insures the public safety! lmao

the reason our licenses went up is for typical stupid azzed stuff, they exempted independent contractors from having to have a shop license, thus getting rid of a big revenue stream, and they made some accounting errors in the past, that we now have to pay for. Hey you didn't think they were gonna take the $$ from the folks that made the mistakes, did you?

ime&o the dept. of Occ licensing is nothing more than a thinly veiled tax. no more, no less

my pard said he was gonna finally let his guide license lapse this year and that's before he was aware of the increase i believe.

I'm going on close to 8-9 years since I renewed mine.

AK biz lic. = tax

city biz lic. = tax, and lmao it's based on your gross revenue

occ lic = tax

it's plain for me to see, that .gov on the FED, state and local level is pretty much a self serving beast.

those that are funded by such, drink the koolaid and feel they deliver a very important service.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Spot on Las.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by helidriver72
Originally Posted by Calvin
I'm sure many guides are not the owners of their operation. Most guides make a low wage for what they do, and do it because they love doing it. I bet $450 is almost 2 days wages for the seasonal guides who only have a limited number of days in the field a year. Do assistant guides need a guide license as well? I'm sure they don't make a whole lot. I doubt those guides are going to see a wage increase to offset the rising

Calvin's comment applies directly to myself and yes assistant guides do need a license.

las;
I was replying to aces when I made the comment about gas prices, I would never make that reply to someone from Kotzebue and I'm not sure why you responded to it?
For the record I'm not an outfitter but I do know that it takes alot more than 2-4 months out of the year for them to run their business.

You obviously missed the point...and yes I know things cost more in the bush, the fact you're surprised by that is telling.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
No need to worry about the prices-in a VERY short # of years-there won't be anyone come up to hunt-then you will be up to your ass in bears andmaybe they will eat the regulators

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You never heard the term "more money than brains"?

Might thin the herd some, but they'll keep coming.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just in - no license fee increase for guides this year. License renewal forms should be posted online in a few days: http://commerce.state.ak.us/occ/pgui.htm

The next BGCSB meeting will be: http://commerce.state.ak.us/occ/pgui18.htm If you have suggestions to generate funds (or any other regulations to suggest): http://commerce.state.ak.us/occ/pub/gui4573.pdf

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the update!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (10gaugemag, 117LBS, 12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,838 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,979
Posts18,480,868
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.