Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have heard that a Winchester 74 chambered Short will cycle them as well.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Why shoot CB shorts when CB longs are available?

In my Remington 550-1 the CB shorts function fine, but the longs, due to case length and the low power cartridge usually fail to eject. (not to mention the increased ammo capacity in a tubular magazine that a short gives)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They are tack drivers out of my single six!

"You've got to be slow in a hurry." Wyatt Earp
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Is there any other . 22 short hollow point ammo available these days?"

Aguila also has/had? target shorts. But CCI target shorts outshot them in my guns (LR chambered).

I'll look and see what else I have in the ammo box

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
To my knowledge, CCI is the only company still making the short hollow point. In my Browning it shoots better than CCI target ammo. But then Aquila does too!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is a thread from awhile back on Shorts for you - might find something of interest in there I hope.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...t_s_talk_22_short_in_rifles_#Post4236641

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is a thread from awhile back on Shorts for you - might find something of interest in there I hope.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...t_s_talk_22_short_in_rifles_#Post4236641

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks 65BR. I can remember when Winchester SuperX LRs were .68 cents a box, but can't remember the cost of shorts for some reason. Perhaps .58 cents for solids, .60 cents for Hollow points. Like some others mentioned in your thread, the HP short kills a lot better than it should. I am loving my new Browning!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry for a double post, computer glich...cannot erase now that I just saw it.

Enjoy that Browning sir! My little brother back in his younger days had some of his best tree squirrel outings here in the south using those CCI HPs in his BL-22 w/irons. Quiet simplicity..handy carbine. Can't beat the combo that yielded him a limit of 8 squirrels/day on many occasions!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
When I was a kid I shot CBs in my Marlin M25, but it wouldnt
extract them all of the time.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I remember reading that squirrel brains should not be eaten. I found a lot of stuff like this on line. Word to the wise:

Kentucky Doctors Warn Against a Regional Dish: Squirrels' Brains
By SANDRA BLAKESLEE
Published: August 29, 1997

Doctors in Kentucky have issued a warning that people should not eat squirrel brains, a regional delicacy, because squirrels may carry a variant of mad cow disease that can be transmitted to humans and is fatal.

Although no squirrels have been tested for mad squirrel disease, there is reason to believe that they could be infected, said Dr. Joseph Berger, chairman of the neurology department at the University of Kentucky in Lexington. Elk, deer, mink, rodents and other wild animals are known to develop variants of mad cow disease that collectively are called transmissible spongiform encephalopathies.

In the last four years, 11 cases of a human form of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy, called Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, have been diagnosed in rural western Kentucky, said Dr. Erick Weisman, clinical director of the Neurobehavioral Institute in Hartford, Ky., where the patients were treated.

''All of them were squirrel-brain eaters,'' Dr. Weisman said. Of the 11 patients, at least 6 have died.

Within the small population of western Kentucky, the natural incidence of this disease should be one person getting it every 10 years or so, Dr. Weisman said. The appearance of this rare brain disease in so many people in just four years has taken scientists by surprise.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks for bringing up squirrel brains and the C-J stuff, David. If you hadn't, I was going to do so.

Not a brain-eater, but I DO own a Remington 24 short-only gallery gun, with it's 5 round magazine and all that. I doubt I'll every be able to find the correct follower tube to increase that, and my eyesight limits my use of that little rifle anyway. It shoots quite well, when I can see what I'm shooting at. Pretty good for a 90 year old rifle, anyway (serial # is under 2500).

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago I used shorts for squirrels....mostly because I used a Stevens crackshot and dad said it wasn't strong enough for long rifles because it had become a bit loose....but the shorts killed squirrels nicely.

Later when I got my Marlin 39-A I used long rifle HPs and it tore up squirrels a bit much so I went to long rifle solids.....that was what the doctor ordered.

Very accurate....through the eye most every time and didn't make a mess of them.

I still have a couple boxes of federal HP shorts....maybe use them next time out squirrel hunting.

Last edited by vapodog; 10/12/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer CB's and shorts for training / introduction of young folks with my model 63 smith.
Quiet, easy recoil, and success.....

Not so sure about killing power, as that's not my goal at that time. But user friendly... yes.

When I head out to roll diggers myself, it's LR all the way.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
It don't take a lot of money. My CB slings are a win 290 simi and a Marlin 22 bolt. The 290 took a good cleaning and lube job before it would cycle the CCI CB Target shorts with 830fps.(recommended) And the Marlin has no trouble at all feeding those tiny little CB shorts at 710fps.

At 25yards the sound of the bullet hitting the 2x6 backstop is louder than the report. The bullets penetration is the length of the bullet. so you can see the heel of each bullet in the wood.

Good thing cottontails and squirrels don't wear 2x6 underwear. Both will shoot minute of squirrel, easy.

Last edited by Hawkeye02; 10/14/11.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I also use Wolf .22 LR target ammo in my .22 for squirrel hunting.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
When I was hunting squirrels for myself I used head shots, but when hunting for my grandfather, I had to shoot behind the front shoulder. I tried eating brains once. Thought it tasted like liver.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Yep. They go very well with scrambled eggs.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Why shoot CB shorts when CB longs are available?

Because you can get a lot more CB shorts in a tube magazine. They both have equal power.

One problem with shooting shorts or CBs in a LR chambered rifle is that a ring of fouling will build up in the chamber, making it difficult or impossible to chamber a LR without cleaning it with a bore brush.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (10Glocks, anothergun, BB3, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 634 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,514
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.