Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
My son is intrigued by some LE trade in Glock 22s that are offered locally for an attractive price. I have several handguns which he has shot, but he wants his own and this will be his first centerfire handgun. He owns a Ruger .22 auto and really likes it.

Somehow, I seem to remember that Glock had a barrel that does not fully support the case head in the 40 S&W. Is that still the case, or has it been fixed? Is it a real issue anyway?

A 9mm barrel can be dropped into the Glock 22 also. That and a 9mm magazine would convert this gun to 9mm for about $155 or so. If I could only have one centerfire handgun, my prefernce would be the 9mm due to ammo cost, versatility and availability. The Glock 17 would be more expensive, as we don't know of any LE trade ins or any other special deals on one of those.

Should I encourage him to go ahead and buy a Glock 22, or to keep looking for a Glock 17?

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would avoid a 40 Glock like the plague. Can you say KABOOM! Get the 17, or better yet, the 19 for concealed carry. Small enough to hide, big enough to fight with.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I too suggest the 9MM in a Glock platform. Yes, the .40S&W will work fine in most .40 Glocks when using factory loadings or handloads of new never fired brass, but the economy of the 9MM without giving up much in performance makes it a much better option. The G34/17L/17/19/26 are pure performers.

See gunsamerica.com for a listing by a TN FFL which has used Tampa PD G17's for $379.00.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
These G22s are $349, and I have a 10% off coupon...

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bearbacker: Beware of Glock 22 40 caliber naysayers.
I have a LOT of first hand experience with Glock 22's!
I have been shooting, carrying professionally, qualifying with and depending on 40 caliber Glocks of various models for more than 20 years now!
All I have ever shot for practice and qualifications are full house (full power) self defense loads!
With nary a glitch or problem of any kind to date!
In fact for many years I stood side by side with up to 20 other professionals shooting 40 caliber Glocks (again with full power factory loadings!) and never saw a problem with any of those hundreds of Glock 22's!
I highly recommend the Glock 22's (especially if they have the night sights and high capacity magazines!).
If these are LE turn in's then recommend to your son that he manuever to be able to look over as many of the Glocks as possible and find one that shows little wear cosmetically - Glocks hold their value rather well if shopped for and bought carefully.
I carried professionally for 10 years a Glock 22 with nights sights and two extra, high capacity magazines - with this outfit I never questioned my ability to quickly and completely defend myself or carry out my duties.
I now carry (plains clothes bodyguarding and robbery suppression details) a Glock Model 23 with night sights and two extra magazines.
If you are using top shelf factory ammo you won't have a problem with a Glock 22 - I am rather certain of that.
Best of luck to your son if he decides to go with the Glock 22.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did own a Glock M22 for a while; even handloaded for it with no troubles. The .40 will spike pressures if bullets set back in feeding, so you must have a tight bullet fit in the case and firm crimp to avoid it.

It was reliable, but not accurate enough to be interesting. That and watching the notorious video of the "professional" police officer shooting himself kinda turned me cool on Grocks...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have owned 4 different .40 glocks over the years and have shot the hell out of them. Most reliable brand of handguns I have ever owned, including my Kimbers.

I carry a glock 38 everyday and trust my life on them.

I also have several friends that are police officers that shoot THOUSANDS of rounds a year, all .40 cals and trust them 100%.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I would avoid a 40 Glock like the plague. Can you say KABOOM! Get the 17, or better yet, the 19 for concealed carry. Small enough to hide, big enough to fight with.

Ridiculous statement.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Bearbacker:

I now carry (plains clothes bodyguarding and robbery suppression details) a Glock Model 23 with night sights and two extra magazines.

That is one moronic handgun selection. You picked THE most traded handgun in the US, a handgun that would probably kick Bruce Piatt's a$$ on a Rogers Range. A handgun that would be impossible to effect a combat reload because of that idiotic chopped grip.

Go blow smoke up somebody else's a$$. I never said the 40 Glock wasn't effective, never said it wasn't a good gun. If the taxpayers ain't providing you unlimited ammo for it, and you have to reload to be able to afford to shoot enough to stay proficient, it sucks as a handgun choice, and it only offers a marginal, if any at all, improvement over good +P 9mm.

Speaking of ass-kicking, I watched a Glock 22 kick a SWAT cops a$$ for three days on a Roger's Range, before he borrowed a G17. That guy was buffed with probably a double-bodyweight bench press. It ain't for everybody. If you buy one for your wife, you're stupid.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Team_Tricky

I also have several friends that are police officers that shoot THOUSANDS of rounds a year, all .40 cals and trust them 100%.

I know you're FOS now. I know LOTS of cops, I know exactly one that USED to shoot a lot, before he had his mid-life kid. He has a Dillon 1050, covered with dust. Most cops rotate shifts and have to work 15-20 hrs extra per week to eat. Shoot? When?

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a number of glocks including a 23. Have aftermarket barrels in barsto in .357sig for it, a kkm .40 barrel and so on.
I blew it up one time with a squib load, replaced the slide and it is still running. The main issue is the barrel which if you intend on shooting anything other than factory probably should be replaced, specifically if using lead bullets. All the glocks have been reliable, and i have a baby glock i carry right now currently with the .40 barrel, also good in .357sig and 9mm same pistol with a barrel switchout.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I put a Lone Wolf 9mm bbl in my Glock 22 recently. It has ran 100% reliable for a few hundred rounds of my bulk handloads (115gr Rem fmj, 6.0gr Unique, 1300 fps).

Any of the Glock 40 SW pistols make a pretty versatile platform for shooting 40, 357, 9mm with a quick bbl swap, and a mag swap for the 9mm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a Model 23 several years ago after shooting one my brother owned - his was very accurate - mine is too - it's my vehicle gun. I might have to try one of those Lone Wolf barrel's if they are that good.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Glock 22 is a great gun.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a 23 and a 27. Have had both for years. I shoot full power handloads through the both of them. No KB as yet. As for the gun wearing me out to shoot it for extended sessions...........BULLFLOP !! Keep your hands outta Momma's dishwater and enjoy the heck out of your new & discounted G22.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My question would be why are they trading them in ? Have they been refurbished from the factory ? Glock has a solid rep of lasting forever and being a very reliable, basic cop's gun. That means they aren't really a shooting enthusiast kind of gun. They aren't as accurate as many other makes and are iffy to handload for, etc.
Before buying one, I'd make sure they were OK in all respects.
BTW, new Glocks are really pretty reasonable. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 10/19/11.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hi bearbacker,

I am delighted that your son wants a center fire handgun. It's always comforting to know that we're able to pass our sport & passion to the next generation.

If you know what you son intends to do with his handgun, it will make selection a lot easier. If he wants a trail gun, a good revolver might be the way to go. If he wants to plug holes in cans, a 9MM might be a better choice as would a .38 SPL. If it's self-defense, it's hard to beat a .40 S&W.

With that written, were I to own just one handgun, it would be a 1911A1. But what fun is it to own just one handgun? And I'd let your son know that his handgun collection has to start somewhere, so if he's good with a G-22 I wish him all the best.

Buena Suerte,

R

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
bearbacker,

I would not hesitate. I have a G22 and they are great pistols. I would NOT reload for it with the factory barrel.

FWIW, there is damned nice G23 in the classifieds. Three mags and N/S.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Team_Tricky

I know you're FOS now. I know LOTS of cops, I know exactly one that USED to shoot a lot, before he had his mid-life kid. He has a Dillon 1050, covered with dust. Most cops rotate shifts and have to work 15-20 hrs extra per week to eat. Shoot? When?

Take a Knee,

Please don't take offense but you are one stupid [bleep].

Travis

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Eremicus
My question would be why are they trading them in ? Have they been refurbished from the factory ? Glock has a solid rep of lasting forever and being a very reliable, basic cop's gun. That means they aren't really a shooting enthusiast kind of gun. They aren't as accurate as many other makes and are iffy to handload for, etc.
Before buying one, I'd make sure they were OK in all respects.
BTW, new Glocks are really pretty reasonable. E

I think a lot of departments are like any other government entity, got to spend the money. Plus they get various deals from manufacturers, and changes in administrations. As to cops not having time to shoot, one could look to the 20 year retirement and average annual income for a phoenix p.d. officer, which is pretty darn good. As to being iffy to reload for, i don't think hardly any of mine have EVER seen factory ammo, and i have been shooting more than one of them. A target pistol for making small holes in paper targets? no. But that was never their intent.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (6mmbrfan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 16 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,962
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.