Hop To
Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Raisuli
WTM45,

I am still waiting for you to tell me how you KNOW how many people have gone t*ts up after being capped with a 9MM Luger and how many gave up ghosts due to the .45 ACP. Did you rely on something you read in a gun magazine, or did you just make it up?

Trying to reason my way through your wild accusation, it would be impossible to know unless one perused autopsy reports, which I'd bet you haven't. So that leaves the FACT that you're willing to spread bullsugar in order to try to win an argument, which makes you awfully darn suspicious.

Next thing you're gunna write is that a 9MM Luger & not silver bullets is what really works to send Dracula back to his castle.

R

Any simple study of actual historical military documents will clearly show how many countries have issued and used the 9MM in combat operations around the globe.
Ordinance issue reports continue to support the premise that more 9MM ammo has been created, issued and expended through handguns worldwide than .45ACP.
One country alone has burned more 9MM rounds in combat than you can dream.

Regradless of what you THINK or imagine the 9MM was designed for combat, is a combat proven round and is well designed for such.

The amount of factual information is quite vast, and is easily found by someone who would wish to increase their knowledge of military small arms and their application.

I suggest you do your own work. Seems you don't have a decent grasp of what has occured within the US regarding military small arms, nevertheless the entire globe.

I offer you resources, you dismiss them out of hand without consideration. Why would I waste time sharing more of my library with you?

I will refute incorrect information at will. Be prepared.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I will agree on this, the the GP-100 is one of the best weapons in the handgun world and i would feel well armed when carrying one for personal protection against four or two legged animals. I love mine and carry 158 gr Gold Dots load with a max load of Win 296. I own the 6 inch version and it is a little heavy and awkward for conceal carry. May add a four inch in the future.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mak
Rural guns are called upon for many situations that urban guns will never face, for extreme conditions of weather, where they have faced a baking by the sun, been blasted by dust, then full submergence in water, all on the same day, and still were called upon to work.
The simple mechanism of the single action lends itself quite well to this environment, and despite what just about everyone says, is easy to operate under stress, when exhausted, dirty, tired, or just pissed off.
Autoloaders, especially the newer designs, rarely fare well under these conditions.

I agree with you the revolver has its place in defense, and I agree that the power a revolver can bring to bear makes it a great choice for rural situations, I have to disagree a little bit with your statement above.

There are autoloaders which are more subject to problems when weather is involved (rust) or debris is common (sand), the majority of autoloaders provide great service and durability in some wicked conditions. Combat issue and LEO issue getting daily carry and use in some extremes have proven their usefulness.
Additional power can be found in some modern loadings and autoloader designs.
So, the autoloader is not a "poor" choice any more than a revolver is a "poor" choice. It can depend greatly on the need and application.

I would consider someone as well versed in the use of the single action as you a very well defended person against any situation, any handgun (auto or revolver) totin' criminal or vermin. Mindset, training and experience would be the biggest factors in obtaining a positive outcome!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by WTM45
WTM45,

I am still waiting for you to tell me how you KNOW how many people have gone t*ts up after being capped with a 9MM Luger and how many gave up ghosts due to the .45 ACP. Did you rely on something you read in a gun magazine, or did you just make it up?

Trying to reason my way through your wild accusation, it would be impossible to know unless one perused autopsy reports, which I'd bet you haven't. So that leaves the FACT that you're willing to spread bullsugar in order to try to win an argument, which makes you awfully darn suspicious.

Next thing you're gunna write is that a 9MM Luger & not silver bullets is what really works to send Dracula back to his castle.

R

Any simple study of actual historical military documents will clearly show how many countries have issued and used the 9MM in combat operations around the globe.
Ordinance issue reports continue to support the premise that more 9MM ammo has been created, issued and expended through handguns worldwide than .45ACP.

Regradless of what you THINK or imagine the 9MM was designed for combat, is a combat proven round and is well designed for such.

The amount of factual information is quite vast, and is easily found by someone who would wish to increase their knowledge of military small arms and their application.

I suggest you do your own work. Seems you don't have a decent grasp of what has occured within the US regarding military small arms, nevertheless the entire globe.

I offer you resources, you dismiss them out of hand without consideration. Why would I waste time sharing more of my library with you?

WTM45,

Just what research info have you provided other than your proclamations?

Are you assuming that because a handgun was issued that it was actually used in combat? That is was designed for combat? Not even the venerable Peacemaker was designed for combat. It was a frontier weapon that was used in combat.

The 9MM is a horrible self-defense round when compared with other, more suitable rounds. In the 80's it was all the rage in law enforcement, assuredly due to high capacity handguns that chambered it. But now it's not found that often on the hips of our nation's cops. The agencies for which I used to work do not even allow its cops to carry a 9MM. One issues only the .45 ACP while the other limits handguns to either the .40 or .45.

I used to work with a woman whose hands were too small for an H&K USP full-size .45 ACP. The agency that employed us allowed her to carry a compact version, but it was .45 ACP.

It seems as though you've postured yourself into the untenable position of 9MM superiority and will rely upon your assertions without factual basis for supporting them.

If you want to believe the 9MM is all that, have at it. But your proclamations without proof is fantasy...just like your proclamation about how many people have been killed by the 9MM. You have no clue how many people have died as a result of a 9MM nor does anyone. At best it's a guess. Yet you insist it's factual. As a former professor I once had used to refrain, theory w/o facts is fantasy. So where are your facts to support your fantasy???

A battle handgun is a last resort weapon save for those sent into tunnels in Vietnam. The idea is to prepare so a soldier does not have to rely upon a last resort weapon.

Finally, you have repeatedly asserted that the 9MM was designed for battle. Yet you have provided no proof of your claim. Please provide a link that supports your claim. I'm sure the 9MM was designed to kill, but that's not even close to it being a battle weapon unless you're implying its use as a submachine gun round.

In contrast, the US Army found that handguns, namely the .38, that were used in battle were wholly ineffective. Therefore, it commissioned its ordinance department to accept bids from small arms manufacturers for handguns designed for battle that were chambered for a cartridge that would work as a weapon of last resort. The 1911A1 proved to work so well that in the Korean War many soldiers preferred it to the .30 Carbine.

Keep close to your heart the FACT that theory w/o facts is fantasy.

R

Last edited by Raisuli; 10/22/11.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would agree the Colt Walker was a battle implement, because if you ran out of bullets, it made a great bludgeon...

NRA Life Member
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
RE, Mak: " ... address the needs of those in wilderness/rural areas."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I totally agree with your endorsement of the Single-Action Revolver for defense in the great outdoors. It's a natural and it works.

~ Ruger Vaquero, 45 Colt.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by WTM45
WTM45,

R

WTM45,

Just what research info have you provided other than your proclamations?

Are you assuming that because a handgun was issued that it was actually used in combat? That is was designed for combat? Not even the venerable Peacemaker was designed for combat. It was a frontier weapon that was used in combat.

The 9MM is a horrible self-defense round when compared with other, more suitable rounds. In the 80's it was all the rage in law enforcement, assuredly due to high capacity handguns that chambered it. But now it's not found that often on the hips of our nation's cops. The agencies for which I used to work do not even allow its cops to carry a 9MM. One issues only the .45 ACP while the other limits handguns to either the .40 or .45.

I used to work with a woman whose hands were too small for an H&K USP full-size .45 ACP. The agency that employed us allowed her to carry a compact version, but it was .45 ACP.

It seems as though you've postured yourself into the untenable position of 9MM superiority and will rely upon your assertions without factual basis for supporting them.

If you want to believe the 9MM is all that, have at it. But your proclamations without proof is fantasy...just like your proclamation about how many people have been killed by the 9MM. You have no clue how many people have died as a result of a 9MM nor does anyone. At best it's a guess. Yet you insist it's factual. As a former professor I once had used to refrain, theory w/o facts is fantasy. So where are your facts to support your fantasy???

A battle handgun is a last resort weapon save for those sent into tunnels in Vietnam. The idea is to prepare so a soldier does not have to rely upon a last resort weapon.

Finally, you have repeatedly asserted that the 9MM was designed for battle. Yet you have provided no proof of your claim. Please provide a link that supports your claim. I'm sure the 9MM was designed to kill, but that's not even close to it being a battle weapon unless you're implying its use as a submachine gun round.

In contrast, the US Army found that handguns, namely the .38, that were used in battle were wholly ineffective. Therefore, it commissioned its ordinance department to accept bids from small arms manufacturers for handguns designed for battle that were chambered for a cartridge that would work as a weapon of last resort. The 1911A1 proved to work so well that in the Korean War many soldiers preferred it to the .30 Carbine.

Keep close to your heart the FACT that theory w/o facts is fantasy.

R

This absolutely ludicrous. With current ammo design and technology, there is so little difference in the terminal effectiveness between the major defensive calibers they are virtually identical. The theory you profess as fact is rooted in a time when JHP ammunition was in its infancy, and the real argument concerned commonly used FMJ ammo. In that scenario, the .45 absolutely trumps the 9mm, due to nothing but the size of the hole it pokes, unless penetration is a requirment, in which case the .45 fails miserably.

You can regurgitate Cooper and his ilk all you want, it makes it no less dated, and currently false. As for your observations of current Law Enforcement, you are again wrong. The 9mm is enjoying a huge resurgence, due mainly to strides in ammunition development. Couple this with the small, but dedicated, popularity of the .357 Sig, the 9mm is far from dead, and even farther from ineffective.

One can argue that the .45 is actually a poorer choice than the 9mm and .357 Sig, due to the increased amount of officer involved shootings involving armor, and through car doors, windshields, etc. The smaller, faster round fares better than the fatter slower one in most cases.

Before everyone strokes out, I still load, shoot, and occasionally carry a .45. Its a very good round, but no better or worse than the others in the grand scheme. Technology has all but leveled the playing field. Argument in disarrangement is nothing but mental masturbation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's no wonder JOG has given up posting here anymore.............

MM

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
liliysdad,

And just what proof do you have in support of your theory? You've called my post ludicrous, so to you truth is ludicrous.

The obvious fallacy of your theory is that you believe that modern bullets make the 9MM effective. Does this mean that you know more than the Firearms training Unit of the FBI??? Must be...

Buena Suerte,

R

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
RE, Liliysdad: "Argument in disarrangement is nothing more than mental masturbation."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I like that - you should post more. My wrist gets sore just from strokin' the keyboard.

I also like my handguns - collecting/shooting/protecting.

I often can't help but thinking about the 'people' out there that actually go out and commit most of those murders in polite society using a HANDGUN.

I don't think the KILLERS give a 2nd thought (or poop) about Corbon Defensive Ammo, or about caliber/bore size - let alone 'trigger jobs, custom work, special holsters, tactical stuff, ... etc.

If my handguns work right and shoot right (right out-of-the-box) - That's the way I use them. I also use/carry the same ammunition that I practice with, cheap FMJ/Hardball. It works! (I'm sure.)

I appreciate 'all' of the more sophisticated self-defense aficiandos who strive 'To the Nth degree' for every conceivable 'advantage' ... And I find their discourse both interesting and informative.

But ... just not for 'me' so much.

(Low crime in North Dakota. Considered well armed with a "Daisy" B-B Gun.)

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Considered well armed with a "Daisy" B-B Gun.)

Mice or Men just shoot them in the eyes

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The choice to carry FMJ, when there is a plethora of effective, inexpensive JHP ammo on the market is quite foolish. I see quite a few gunshots, and FMJ traditionally does a pretty poor job of anything but poking holes.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
It's no wonder JOG has given up posting here anymore.............

MM

For sure.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Finally, you have repeatedly asserted that the 9MM was designed for battle. Yet you have provided no proof of your claim. Please provide a link that supports your claim.

Get off your ass and do some research. I could give you six to ten books, title and author, which are on my shelf right now but you would find any excuse to avoid putting on the bifocals and reading any one of them.
You continue to reveal an extreme lack of knowledge, therefore I am finished with you.
Apology to all who are interested in gathering good info from this thread.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It doesn't matter if your gunfight is in the Military , Law Enforcement or Civilian Life any Gunfight is a battle to stay alive so i believe every handgun rounds was designed for battle from the 25 auto to the 45 ACP.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The 9MM (as we know it, the 9x19) was designed SPECIFICALLY for increasing velocity thereby increasing the terminal effectiveness and accuracy of the P-08 Luger. Fact.
Kenyon and Walter each have written very good reference books with much factual research and documentation included.

Even the FBI issues G17's to agents deployed overseas. Fact.

England moved to a smaller caliber revolver from the .455 to increase velocity and effectiveness. Then, to the 9MM Hi-Power. Fact.

More 9MM handguns have been built for military contract and duty than Colt's ever built .45ACP's for military contract and duty. Fact.

I've never stated the 9MM is exclusively superior, nor have I disparaged the .45ACP. In current defensive loadings, which means everything to the current CCW permit holder, it's a damn fine line between the effectiveness of service caliber loadings.
They are all that close in performance.
Fact.
And it is well documented.

We have to consider ourselves quite fortunate to have all the choices we have at our disposal. Caliber or platform, the most important thing in being successful is mindset.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
maarty,

I don't think so. I believe the Walker Colt was a frontier sidearm.
Regardless it certainly ain't a battle weapon today.

Believe what you like, history and every educated person on here proves you wrong.
As for it not being a battle weapon today, maybe it's not the first choice but I'd still feel perfectly well armed having a loaded Walker colt clone in my hand at close range, those big soft lead balls will make any attackers day go from bad to worse.
Besides it fits with your needs, a gun capable of laying down fire to allow you to hide, that big cloud of smoke works well for hiding behind.

The original international turd
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
45 Peacemaker is a great self defense pistol, if you don't believe me just ask Sam McCloud.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Finally, you have repeatedly asserted that the 9MM was designed for battle. Yet you have provided no proof of your claim.

9x19mm Parabellum. Designed by Georg Luger as a military round.

That it was intended to be used in battle is certainly a reasonable assumption.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
From Wikipedia:

.....Georg Luger developed the 9�19mm Parabellum cartridge from Luger's earlier 7.65�21mm Parabellum. In 1902, Luger presented the new round to the British Small Arms Committee as well as three prototype versions to the U.S. Army for testing at Springfield Arsenal in mid-1903. The German Navy adopted the cartridge in 1904 and in 1906 the German Army adopted it as well....

Page 10 of 19 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 72 invisible), 3,047 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,109
Posts18,483,299
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.