Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I heard on the news this morning that an African wildcat had gotten loose around St. Peters, MO. Must have been somebodys privately owned cat. No zoos around here. Is this anything to be concerned about? Thanks...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Nope.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
If it is indeed an African wildcat, it looks just about like a grayish-brown tabbycat. In fact it's commonly believed that African wildcats were the ancestors of domestic cats. It would be dangerous to small birds and mammals, just like a feral cat.

But you never know exactly what animal news-people might call an African wildcat!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nobody in America aside from a PH living here, is going to tell it from a domestic house cat. Every time I see one in RSA around the place I have to look twice myself to determine which it is.

The only issue will be that it will breed just like any other cat and the improved genetics will refresh those lost over centuries of domestication of the feral house cat.

No different then somebody putting out a dozen european hogs in texas to inject fresh wild hog genetics to those living there wild.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the insights...

Gary

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

If you look close you will see some of the legs are striped and the last 1/3 of the tail is too. However a casual glance would not cause any thought other then a feral or domestic cat.

Not all are striped equally, I have seen a few that had amazing stripes, but for the most part they are solid grey with minimal stripes.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I caught an wildcat in 2005 while hunting in South Africa. I was able to smuggle her home in my gun case. Now she lives with us in Louisiana! grin

[Linked Image]

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While still hunting for bushbuck on the Crocodile River in SA one evening, we saw a wildcat out looking for it's dinner and it looked to me like a feral house cat. When it saw us, it showed little interest and went back hunting.

Had that been on our Texas deer lease it would have been shot as feral cats predate on quail and other small birds.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RAC, I smuggled one home as well! One has to be very careful around him as he is quite dangerous.....

[Linked Image]

Especially if one sounds anything like a can opener or a can of tuna.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark
Looking at that kitty cat I would say far to many cans of tuna have found their way into it's tummy.!! Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
How the heck can anyone smuggle a cat in a gun case? the flight is about 17 hours and the TSA searches the gun case upon landing.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
How the heck can anyone smuggle a cat in a gun case? the flight is about 17 hours and the TSA searches the gun case upon landing.

It's called a joke.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Yep. besides...stuffing one of them in a carry-on would be like stuffing a chainsaw into a gym bag...while it was running....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well put. MY wildcat, however, would jump in of his own accord if there was an open can of canned cat food in the bag.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yep. besides...stuffing one of them in a carry-on would be like stuffing a chainsaw into a gym bag...while it was running....

Sounds like it could be a CATastrophe!!!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I caught a young caracal alive, ran it down and stepped on it like a snake then picked it up behind the neck. It was a freaking beast to hang onto and it would have shredded every inch of me had it gotten the chance.

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I caught a young caracal alive, ran it down and stepped on it like a snake then picked it up behind the neck. It was a freaking beast to hang onto and it would have shredded every inch of me had it gotten the chance.

Maybe cause you squashed it like a grape after chasing it thru the bush? Think you pissed it off?

Gary

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think they come out of the box angry, and my effort would not have been in the direction of compassion and understanding with this little devil. I think he misunderstood my intentions, of feeding and caring for him every day, for somebody that wanted to eat him,.... or relieve him of his hide.

I know the hunter with me at the time took pictures of the event, I don't have them handy with me right now. I did put him in a duffle bag that I believe was the hunters bag used for his things. That cat was not at all happy in the sack either. If it was one month older I would not have been able to run it down, nor would I have been able to hold it in my bare un-gloved hands. As it was, he was like trying to safely grab a razor edged frisby somebody tossed to you.

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good story...

Gary

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen that photo. I hope you can post it again here, JJ. Good stuff, that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 53 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,816
Posts18,496,463
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.