Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello
I Picked up this S&W classic Pre-25 chambered in .45 ACP Caliber Early this new year. It was lying in my dealers show case and I had been looking for a Pre-25 for awhile. I had a model 25-2 which fired the .45 ACP but it suffered real tight accuracy so I traded it off. This one shipped out in December 1959 and is late for a Five screw variation. I soon learned it was scary accurate as the Test Target shows and have now chosen it and the Hand load I used for this years deer hunting season that Opens this coming weekend, I hope to drop a Deer with it... TheGeneral

[Linked Image]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...and your hunting load is?

A very beautiful gun General... I have had several 25-2s but the only .45 ACP revolver I have at present is a 625 Mountain Gun.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You're killing me here........
Does look very accurate, and beautiful besides!

I'll be carrying my Freedom Arms 97 in .44 Spl, and then maybe my S&W 629 Mountain Gun.

[Linked Image]

Good luck deer hunting!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RJM

A very beautiful gun General... I have had several 25-2s but the only .45 ACP revolver I have at present is a 625 Mountain Gun.

Bob

Hello Bob
I appreciate your Kind words. I tried every load I could think of in the Model 25-2 I had but could only get medium accuracy results out of it. I alway's felt that the cylinder throats of that gun were a Little large as it would not group consistent. This One sure lay's them in there so I feel good taking it along...The Load used was 8.0 Grains of Accurate Arms # 7 Powder on top of a Winchester Standard Primer and a 200 Grain Rainier semi wad cutter style bullet. The Only difference for hunting with this load will be the bullets as I Plan on switching to a 180 Grain Hornady XTP Bullet and perhaps some more powder to speed it up a bit...TheGeneral.

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice, and good luck!

Kansas has minimum case length requirements for handguns as far as deer go, so no .45's allowed. 1.28 minimum, so no 10mm either, although it would be more than enough for Whitetails.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by generalstuart
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

Hello Bob
I appreciate your Kind words. I tried every load I could think of in the Model 25-2 I had but could only get medium accuracy results out of it. I alway's felt that the cylinder throats of that gun were a Little large as it would not group consistent. This One sure lay's them in there so I feel good taking it along...The Load used was 8.0 Grains of Accurate Arms # 7 Powder on top of a Winchester Standard Primer and a 200 Grain Rainier semi wad cutter style bullet. The Only difference for hunting with this load will be the bullets as I Plan on switching to a 180 Grain Hornady XTP Bullet and perhaps some more powder to speed it up a bit...TheGeneral.
What kind of velocity are you getting with that load.

PS Beautiful piece.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 68injunhed

Kansas has minimum case length requirements for handguns as far as deer go, so no .45's allowed. 1.28 minimum, so no 10mm either, although it would be more than enough for Whitetails.
Sure. Especially since you can pretty much duplicate the ballistics of the standard pressure (non+P) .45 Long Colt, which has been long known for it's effectiveness on deer sized game within thirty yards or so. Stupid law, as usual.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

Hello Bob
What kind of velocity are you getting with that load.

PS Beautiful piece.

Hello Hawkeye
I got 835 on average with the Target Load I shot. The Hunting load is 2 Grains more and I have not fired it yet but plan to this week... TheGeneral.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My Springfield 1911

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
...I had a model 25-2 which fired the .45 ACP but it suffered real tight accuracy so I traded it off...
[Linked Image]

General, you are the maestro of neat Smith's!! I'm sure that I'm not the only one around here that turns alittle green with envy when you post!

In 1974 as a newly married 2nd Lt., my new wife bought me a S&W 1955 Target that we couldn't afford. It was wonderfully accurate with Auto-Rim ammo, but not particularly accurate with half-moon clips & ACP hardball (I don't think that there were full moon clips around in those days). My wife passed away about 10 years ago and I gave her Model 19 to our daughter and the 1955 Target to our son. He now shoots it with ACP ammo in full-moon clips and it may be my imagination, but it seems to shoot much better than it did with half-moon clips. That seems improbable, but....???? What did you shoot that stellar group with? Auto-Rim, Half-moon ACP, Full-moon ACP?

BTW, I really like the photos of your stuff---keep em comin!

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 68injunhed

Sure. Especially since you can pretty much duplicate the ballistics of the standard pressure (non+P) .45 Long Colt, which has been long known for it's effectiveness on deer sized game within thirty yards or so. Stupid law, as usual.
Whether the law is stupid or not is a separate question, but I'm pretty sure he just meant the 45 ACP. The .44 Mag. is legal and the 45 Colt has a longer case than it does. So does the 44-40.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ya, .357 mag and .44 mag both are legal. Pretty much anything rimless is not.

As far as the law being stupid, I'm pretty sure deer wouldn't like a .45 caliber, 230gr. bullet at 900+fps inside about 30 yards. They would likely have a negative reaction to that.

Last edited by 68injunhed; 11/14/11.
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
She's bute,just curious why the light for cal.bullet?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice looking handgun and the should CERTAINLY do the job.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...a thought....I did a lot of work with the .45 AR back in the 1970s and 80s as it was my wife's gun of choice. Was also loading duty ammo for Dallas area officers who were carrying 25-2s... I had bought one for a duty weapon but as soon as she shot it I was relegated back to my 29-2...

SR4756 is the powder to try if you can find some...I have three loads listed for this powder...and start from a few grains below...

Remington AR case SR4756 11.0 200 Grain Speer JHP 1307 fps

Remington AR case SR4756 10.0 200 Grain Speer JHP 1208 fps

Remington AR case SR4756 11.5 185 Grain Sierra JHC 1162 fps

Accuracy load:

Remington AR case Unique 7.0 225 Grain Speer JHP 840 fps

Also shot the 225 Speer over both 9.0 and 10.0 grains of SR4756 but they were not chronographed.

I can tell that the old no longer made 200 grain Speer HP called the "Flying Ashtray" at 1170 fps kills both deer and attempted cop-killers in their tracks... They turn inside out and still come out the "off side"...

The 225 at 1140 fps turns into a perfect mushroom and penetrates more than the 200 and looses only about 5 grains in weight.

Just some thoughts...Bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow, those velocities are nothing short of stunning in a case that short.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
SR4756 seems to be one of those "magic" powders. It turns Specials into near Magnums... From what I read a long time ago it was the powder that Remington used in many of their Magnums.

I have used it in 9mm, .38 Special, .38 Super, .44 Special, .41 Magnum and .45 Colt with excellent results... And these were not Ruger Only Loads...they were all developed in S&Ws.

Bob

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RJM
...a thought....I did a lot of work with the .45 AR back in the 1970s and 80s as it was my wife's gun of choice. Was also loading duty ammo for Dallas area officers who were carrying 25-2s... I had bought one for a duty weapon but as soon as she shot it I was relegated back to my 29-2...

SR4756 is the powder to try if you can find some...I have three loads listed for this powder...and start from a few grains below...

Remington AR case SR4756 11.0 200 Grain Speer JHP 1307 fps

Remington AR case SR4756 10.0 200 Grain Speer JHP 1208 fps

Remington AR case SR4756 11.5 185 Grain Sierra JHC 1162 fps

Accuracy load:

Remington AR case Unique 7.0 225 Grain Speer JHP 840 fps

Also shot the 225 Speer over both 9.0 and 10.0 grains of SR4756 but they were not chronographed.

I can tell that the old no longer made 200 grain Speer HP called the "Flying Ashtray" at 1170 fps kills both deer and attempted cop-killers in their tracks... They turn inside out and still come out the "off side"...

The 225 at 1140 fps turns into a perfect mushroom and penetrates more than the 200 and looses only about 5 grains in weight.

Just some thoughts...Bob

Hello Bob
I see that Powder you metioned is still available. I will have to try some thanks for the heads up on it. How is it as far as case pressures go ? This is what was said about it. Regards, TheGeneral

SR 4756
This fine grained, easy metering propellant has long been a favorite of upland and waterfowl handloaders. Top velocities with great patterns are legendary. Like 800-X, SR4756 performs extremely well in the big handgun cartridges. Always a top choice

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Cases usually just drop out or smoothly eject... As with anything start a few grains under max, watch for pressure signs in your gun and use a chronograph.

With the 25-2 I have also found that some bullets like the 200 grain Speer JHP were .451 and didn't hold the rifling as well as the 225s that were .452. The rifling on the 25-2 is not as deep as later S&W .45s. Cast bullets that were very hard and cast slightly oversize seem to shoot better than the soft ones...

Bob

ps...crimping can be a PITA. Use an undersize case expander or one that just flares the case mouth as you need as much bullet pull as possible. I had Lee make me a factory crimp die but have not had time to use it as I mostly shoot .41 Magnum..

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello Bob
I checked out the IMR web site for using this powder. it seems their upper limit is a Powder Puff Load compared to what you have loaded in the past... TheGeneral

185 GR. HDY JSWC IMR SR 4756 .451" 1.135" 7.4 853 12,300 CUP 8.2 991 16,700 CUP

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 219DW, 21, 204guy, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,600
Posts18,511,464
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.