Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 101 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 100 101
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Just saw a special on wild hogs in America. That Wilderness Hunting Lodge should be paying US to shoot as many hogs as we can. The govt needs to put a bounty on them. Even with dogs, US hunters are not able to control the hog population. LE is relying on Night Scopes and fenced traps, but it�s still not enough. They�re getting bigger, more aggressive, and even invading suburban areas. I wonder how the Wilderness Hunting Lodge controls the hog numbers. With hunters limited to one hog for a $675.00 ~ $695.00 fee, we�re not even going to make a dent in the problem. The affluent among us can purchase another hog, or other exotic game on the ranch; I'm not among the affluent. I can just barely make it there.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the most effective way to take hogs, is with snares.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not being a trapper, I'll take your word for it. We had cages set up on a friend's land in Texas. It was nothing to find 10 ~ 12 of 'em in the cage the next morning. The big ones would see you, and then run straight at you, slamming into the welded wire of the cage. They'd bounce off and make another run. In fact, they did that until you killed 'em. The only ones that didn't show extreme aggression were the little ones. They just ran around the cage enclosure in a bunch...until they were dispatched.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Not being a trapper, I'll take your word for it. We had cages set up on a friend's land in Texas. It was nothing to find 10 ~ 12 of 'em in the cage the next morning. The big ones would see you, and then run straight at you, slamming into the welded wire of the cage. They'd bounce off and make another run. In fact, they did that until you killed 'em. The only ones that didn't show extreme aggression were the little ones. They just ran around the cage enclosure in a bunch...until they were dispatched.

TN. has taken wild hogs off the game list on public & private property for a method to control them better. They've also outlawed transportation of them. Folks were moving them around to create private hunting areas.

I can't believe that folks are being charged that much when there's land owners in the same county & surrounding counties that'll let you hunt for free. I know the game preserves aren't going to let that be known, due to it being a business for them.

See an article on TWRA'a website how TWRA is dealing with the hogs in this state.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Will they feed and lodge us for free,as well?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Texas never did have them on a game list; they were a giant PIA from the beginning. The ranchers and farmers in the county I worked in asked the Sheriff to instruct us to shoot any hog or coyote, day or night, and either leave it there or take it with us (In a patrol car - riiight). Those big ones root up holes that break tractor axels and livestock legs. There a blight on the land in Texas, yet, you find the same thing down there. Hog hunting leases have surpassed deer hunting leases. Texas is 98% fenced private property, and the ranchers and farmers are cashing in on people's desire to hunt hogs. The only ones worth eating are the small ones. Those big monsters smell so bad you'll clear a house out trying to cook the meat.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
traps work for a while but the hogs learn real quick to avoid them. snares you place on their runs, their mostly nocturnal so they don't see the snare till its to late. i like to set them where they cross under fences or where their trails come out of real thick brush onto the sendero, tank or road.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by isaac
Will they feed and lodge us for free,as well?

You might be able to sleep in the barn and get a PB&J. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Texas never did have them on a game list; they were a giant PIA from the beginning. The ranchers and farmers in the county I worked in asked the Sheriff to instruct us to shoot any hog or coyote, day or night, and either leave it there or take it with us (In a patrol car - riiight). Those big ones root up holes that break tractor axels and livestock legs. There a blight on the land in Texas, yet, you find the same thing down there. Hog hunting leases have surpassed deer hunting leases. Texas is 98% fenced private property, and the ranchers and farmers are cashing in on people's desire to hunt hogs. The only ones worth eating are the small ones. Those big monsters smell so bad you'll clear a house out trying to cook the meat.

They've created havoc here as well. They have a habit of ruining foodsouces that game animals such as deer & turkey and etc. need. Folks were catching them and relocating them to other areas to hunt. The birth rate of these hogs is so high, it doesn't take long for them to get out of control. A few years ago TWRA started issueing AR's to officers to shoot yotes and now hogs on sight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That Wilderness Hunting Lodge should be paying US to shoot as many hogs as we can. With hunters limited to one hog for a $675.00 ~ $695.00 fee, we�re not even going to make a dent in the problem. The affluent among us can purchase another hog, or other exotic game on the ranch; I'm not among the affluent. I can just barely make it there.

Same for me but just wondering how much scratch was needed.
The fellowship is what we are paying for.
And I'm sure that when it's all said and done we will say that the time we had was worth alot more than what we did pay.

Plus we get to shoot a boar like this instead of the pink one's that a certain other on this forum likes to shoot.... whistle

(I heard music really plays like that in your head when the pigs show up! grin)

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I come from hog country. I won't miss this opportunity if I can help it.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by PAMac
...Same for me but just wondering how much scratch was needed. The fellowship is what we are paying for. And I'm sure that when it's all said and done we will say that the time we had was worth alot more than what we did pay...

I could not agree more. Hell, I can shoot a hog 200 yards from my house. I'm paying the fee and driving the distance to meet guys I've been talking to, in some cases, for 10 years but have never met FTF. I'm a whole lot more excited to meet fellow Campfire members than I am to shoot a hog.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...Same for me but just wondering how much scratch was needed. The fellowship is what we are paying for. And I'm sure that when it's all said and done we will say that the time we had was worth alot more than what we did pay...

I could not agree more. Hell, I can shoot a hog 200 yards from my house. I'm paying the fee and driving the distance to meet guys I've been talking to, in some cases, for 10 years but have never met FTF. I'm a whole lot more excited to meet fellow Campfire members than I am to shoot a hog.

If you guys are lucky I hear you can watch Pat firewalk in the evenings!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Even more impressive is when Pugs does his "fire bounce". smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Even more impressive is when Pugs does his "fire bounce". smile

Maybe the local Fire Station will loan a couple of coats for you two.
Be sure to place a couple of wet river rocks in the fire, just for kicks.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brandy makes lots of fun things happen

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I come from hog country. I won't miss this opportunity if I can help it.

Lt.,

How big do you let a boar get before he isn't worth cooking? When we trapped, and shot them, the ones we skinned, butchered and ate were the little ones.

Last year, I had some venison processed and had sausage made. The sorry so-and-so mixed in some old boar, and you couldn't even cook that in doors, much less eat it. It was gawd-awful.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hmmm...choices, choices...

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I heard Les is going to be using a butt out tool duct taped to a broken broom handle....... grin grin

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I heard Les is going to be using a butt out tool duct taped to a broken broom handle....... grin grin

Well, at least that won't overpen...

never mind sick

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 19 of 101 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 100 101

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 35, 300_savage, 14idaho, 12 invisible), 963 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,411
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.