Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Hunting the cruddy weather of the Pacific Northwest, I tried everything to keep snow, rain and lord-knows what off my scope lenses. As a last resort, I went through a bunch of flip-ups. I had lost one somewhere in brush, and broke one in a scabbard.

One did not fit right and I actually had to electrical-tape it to the objective end. Finally though, I was hand-over-handing through an alder thicket in Idaho in the midst of heavy snowfall on the heels of a bull. At one point, the objective end had popped open. I closed it and continued my struggle.

When I finally emerged at an opening my bull stood broadside, watching me, at about 90 yards. Shaking with excitement, I managed to flip open both ends, pull up on him, only to see...nothing. I had closed that flip-up on a little wad of snow and could see absolutely nothing but fog and goo.

Looking desperately on each side I could see him, but never through the scope. Before I could clear the lens, he walked tauntingly into the timber again and I never caught up.

Those flip-ups still lay up there on that mountain where I threw them.

Just curious what other tales campfire members have to tell of these things?

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Is that your attempt at marketing?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The other day your pushing scopesield covers but when you go hunting you use flip up's. crazy

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I find they work better when I don't pack snow inside them before each use. YMMV

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by IdahoElkHunter

Without doubt, the number one most fatal noise that betrays my position is the popping open of those caps. I have sneezed, coughed, hacked, spit, talk above my ear plugs, chair squeaked, kicked the blind and only gained partial interest from my quarry. But, when those caps pop ALL eyes are on me immediately.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Is that your attempt at marketing?
I'd say it's pretty obvious.

Takes all kinds.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yep, I've experienced the PNW cruddy weather for a long time. I started off with flip up covers that were solid. If one popped open I'd have to take the time to clear and wipe the lense, and inside the cover, then leave it open and carry the rifle with my hand over it until it dried enough not to fog. Went to see through flip ups some years back and haven't had a problem. The clear plastic of the see through is thicker, so more rigid, so they don't seem to pop open very often and I can take a shot without having to open the covers.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Everything works sometimes, nothing works everytime. Yes, I have had shots screwed up by rain and snow...and likely will have it happen again. Don't know a fool proof way to prevent that, but I like flip ups best as of now.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I've hunted every part of Idaho with pop-ups and never had a lick of trouble killing game.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty lame..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nice camo. It's good to know the critter will never see that whitchamacallit on top of that rifle..

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Always worked for me...

http://youtu.be/gephLnImzM8

Public landowner...
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Jamie
The other day your pushing scopesield covers but when you go hunting you use flip up's. crazy
Not in the last three years I haven't! smile

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a salesman. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Rancho Loco and Reloader28, you each have a ScopeShield coming, my compliments. Just e-mail your mailing address, scope make and model, and color preference (honest Rancho, there are more!)

ScopeShield Alaska is a sponsor of 24hourcampfire.com, and has these contest/giveaways occasionally on the site!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I gave up flip-ups permanently after inadvertently crowding a scope on a heavy kicker while focused intensely on shooting a very large bear. I think I bled nearly as much as he did... Those stretchy whatchamacallits are all that adorn my scopes these days.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by IdahoElkHunter
Hunting the cruddy weather of the Pacific Northwest, I tried everything to keep snow, rain and lord-knows what off my scope lenses. As a last resort, I went through a bunch of flip-ups. I had lost one somewhere in brush, and broke one in a scabbard.

One did not fit right and I actually had to electrical-tape it to the objective end. Finally though, I was hand-over-handing through an alder thicket in Idaho in the midst of heavy snowfall on the heels of a bull. At one point, the objective end had popped open. I closed it and continued my struggle.

When I finally emerged at an opening my bull stood broadside, watching me, at about 90 yards. Shaking with excitement, I managed to flip open both ends, pull up on him, only to see...nothing. I had closed that flip-up on a little wad of snow and could see absolutely nothing but fog and goo.

Looking desperately on each side I could see him, but never through the scope. Before I could clear the lens, he walked tauntingly into the timber again and I never caught up.

Those flip-ups still lay up there on that mountain where I threw them.

um must not be able to find a chart to get the proper size ? got the cordination of ??? how ever did you get your diver licenes? and dont shoot a $69 dollar scope with 2 in eye relife when bear hunting !! (from your last post)

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Kentucky Windage,
You most likely would have had a nice laugh at me while elk hunting this year. After firing 2 shots at a wierd angle downhill off the top of my packframe. I took the scope cap release across the bridge of the nose twice. There I stood with blood running down my face in 10 degree weather. I didn't even know it happened for about 5 minutes when the blood got to my mouth. My nose has a click in it now. Kinda funny. Got the bull though.

Salmonhead
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by salmonhead
Kentucky Windage,
You most likely would have had a nice laugh at me while elk hunting this year. After firing 2 shots at a wierd angle downhill off the top of my packframe. I took the scope cap release across the bridge of the nose twice. There I stood with blood running down my face in 10 degree weather. I didn't even know it happened for about 5 minutes when the blood got to my mouth. My nose has a click in it now. Kinda funny. Got the bull though.
That bull had to take a lot of pain away, Kentucky. EMail your info and I will send a nice, soft, uninjuring ScopeShield to you as well.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
OK, once is understandable. But twice?

Less charitable folks than myself might be tempted to start in about slow learners... no brain no pain... the possibiities are endless!

wink

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,715
Posts18,514,120
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.