Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Doc, we are talking about the Miami shoot out. In Cooper's words Platt's "poodle shooter" was able to function pretty well in close quarters. I am just extending that line of thought with this discussion. I see pretty much all of the LEO's using the M4 these days, so if all the modern technique has evolved from this incident, then the M4 in LEO's hands has certainly come from that as well. A light easily controllable, forward optic rifle is what Cooper advocated. I know he did not like the .223.

If every LEO must be an equal to Jeff Cooper, well then we have some pretty well trained officers out there.

NRA Life Member
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by supercrewd
While not true to the definition, a M4 with an aimpoint is a scout rifle.

No, not even close. By definition, it must be adequate for game up to 400 kilos.

I guess he who writes the rules wins. What has that got to do with gunfighting? What relevance does that have to people living in the U.S.?

It matters because Jeff Cooper coined AND DEFINED the term, and that is part of the definition. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but you can't argue what the definition is 'cause you didn't originate it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by supercrewd
Doc, we are talking about the Miami shoot out. In Cooper's words Platt's "poodle shooter" was able to function pretty well in close quarters. I am just extending that line of thought with this discussion. I see pretty much all of the LEO's using the M4 these days, so if all the modern technique has evolved from this incident, then the M4 in LEO's hands has certainly come from that as well. A light easily controllable, forward optic rifle is what Cooper advocated. I know he did not like the .223.a

If every LEO must be an equal to Jeff Cooper, well then we have some pretty well trained officers out there.

Hey, I'm not saying y'all can't discuss it here... I just thought/think it's an interesting question and I'd like to hear what other folks might have to say.

Cooper didn't like the 223 in no small part because the 55 gr FMJ ammo at the time he was writing about scout rifles wasn't a particularly good round compared to what we have today. Of course, he was steeped in the tradition and lore of WWII and the Korean War, and as such was totally convinced of the superiority of the .30-06/.308 battle rifle round over the proven-anemic M1 Carbine; the .223 was a "carbine round" in his writing, IIRC, and as such equivalent to the .30 Carbine FMJ. It didn't help any that the M16A1 was/is a bigger and less CQB-friendly rifle than the M4 used today.

In the past 10 years, our guys in The Sandbox have been using the M4 in situations from CQB to 300 meters. The ammunition our guys have today is orders of magnitude better than 55 gr ball. I think that, whatever Cooper's view of the .223 was, it is being used as a de facto "scout rifle" today, both overseas and in LE situations in the CONUS.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Oh, sure. Which combat style semi auto ? It has a scope, a nice trigger and weighs about 7 lbs. ?
Jeff Cooper took his Scout Rifle to the US Marine Rapid Reaction Course in So. Kalifornia and left with his fellow marines armed with M-16's in second place. Would that be a little different scenario than your force on force exercises ?
Again, you guys are assuming you need to supress the bad guys with lots of ammo. What ever happend to single hits ? I suspect that a .308 will stop quite well with just one hit.
BTW, Cooper's shooting school taught shooting quickly under stress and making single hits. Mind Set was an attitude he tried to instill.
Which is very useful. It means being situation aware or what I refer to as seeing it coming.
Last of all, I don't keep a combat rifle and a stack of extra magazines around waiting for a gunfight. But I do have several hunting rifles which I do shoot regularly. If I need to use a rifle for gun fighting, I suspect a rifle I know and shoot well is the way to go. E

A properly built Ar-15/M-16 is capable of 1/2 MOA accuracy, so 1 shot kills are easily obtain with faster repeat shots for quicker target acquisition and a large magazine capacity. Also faster to reload when the need arises

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

A properly built Ar-15/M-16 is capable of 1/2 MOA accuracy, so 1 shot kills are easily obtain with faster repeat shots for quicker target acquisition and a large magazine capacity. Also faster to reload when the need arises

I doubt Cooper meant eye socket shots, or a .22 lr would qualify too.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

The 6.8 and the 6.5 Grendal in the AR platform was my thinking. I have one in 6.8 and LIKE IT VERY MUCH. Way better than a 223

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It matters because Jeff Cooper coined AND DEFINED the term, and that is part of the definition. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but you can't argue what the definition is 'cause you didn't originate it.

A little dogmatic, don�t you think? I don�t know if Jeff Cooper had a trademark on the name �Scout Rifle,� but I can make up my own definition of �scout rifle� anytime I want to. From a dictionary standpoint, �scout rifle� means a �rifle� a �scout� can use. That would seem to vary with the �rifle� the particular �scout� would need to use. A scout in Miami doesn�t need the same thing a scout in the middle of nowhere in Africa would need.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

A little dogmatic, don�t you think? I don�t know if Jeff Cooper had a trademark on the name �Scout Rifle,� but I can make up my own definition of �scout rifle� anytime I want to. From a dictionary standpoint, �scout rifle� means a �rifle� a �scout� can use. That would seem to vary with the �rifle� the particular �scout� would need to use. A scout in Miami doesn�t need the same thing a scout in the middle of nowhere in Africa would need.

I'm not aware of the term "Scout Rifle" being in common usage, anywhere, by anyone, until the COL both coined and defined the term, it is what it is, and what you think means nothing. Dogmatic? Ya think? You obviously didn't read much of what Cooper wrote, I suggest you do so in order to appear somewhat less silly in the future.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Ah, no, he "meant" 308 Winchester/7.62mm x 51mm NATO. He said exactly that about 20 million times. He opined that the 7/08 was a good substitute only in countries where it was illegal to own a 308.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer to revel in my ignorance than get bogged down in semantics.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I prefer to revel in my ignorance than get bogged down in semantics.

I will join you...

NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A wise old fella I once knew said "when you hear hoofbeats, don't look for Zebras."

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Ah, no, he "meant" 308 Winchester/7.62mm x 51mm NATO. He said exactly that about 20 million times. He opined that the 7/08 was a good substitute only in countries where it was illegal to own a 308.

Makes no difference the caliber that someone else stated, a 6.8 or 6.5 Grendel in a AR platform is a much better choice for use against hostiles than any bolt action in whatever caliber

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

The 6.8 and the 6.5 Grendal in the AR platform was my thinking. I have one in 6.8 and LIKE IT VERY MUCH. Way better than a 223
Sure. In those calibers, you're getting there.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Nope, he liked the .30-30, too, in the Winchester Model 94, with a forward scope.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
How this morphed from a discussion on the Miami incident to a debate on Scout rifles, I will never know. What is even more amazing, however, is that ANYONE actually thinks a Scout rifle belongs anywhere near an LE situation such as the Miami incident.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by liliysdad
How this morphed from a discussion on the Miami incident to a debate on Scout rifles, I will never know. What is even more amazing, however, is that ANYONE actually thinks a Scout rifle belongs anywhere near an LE situation such as the Miami incident.
Agreed on the latter, but as to the former, discussions morph from one topic to another around a campfire all the time. Isn't this supposed to be like an e-campfire?

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Let me ask a question here. If just one of those agents had been armed with a Scout Rifle and was positioned say 75-100 yds. away, do you think he could have stopped any of the bad guys ?
You guys spend too much time thinking inside of little boxes and arguing the hair splitting details. E

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Our enemy's have been using Scout Rifles for a long time the AK-47

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
[quote=Eremicus] Let me ask a question here. If just one of those agents had been armed with a Scout Rifle and was positioned say 75-100 yds. away, do you think he could have stopped any of the bad guys ?

Sure, as would have an AR. Given that the fire fight occured after a car chase. Posting a sniper 100 yds away wasn't an option. At about 15 feet ( the real world distance of this fight) which would you prefer a bolt action deer rifle or an AR? The problem with the scout is that you have to dream up perfect situations to justify it! How many real world gun fights are going to happen at 100 yds in a suburban setting? Even if it does that's still well within an AR's range. A bolt action 308 deer rifle makes no sence until out past 300 yds and at that distance a true sniper rifle may or may not be a better option. Mr. Cooper was a great American but imo time had past him by. As was already mentioned the idea of a bolt action rifle in a non sniping situation being ideal is romantic but not realistic.

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (21, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 222ND, 60 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,381
Posts18,527,562
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.