democrats ARE the plague.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
TB Baker et al:

I am joining AlabamaEd on this one....

A very experienced shooter was the one to attempt this shot, and to determine the yardage, set the scope, dope the wind...all by herself. BUT....

While Mr. Burns, the guide, did an admirable job, the shooter didn't determine yardage, or set the scope on her own calculation, or dope the wind, and what did she learn to be able to consistently do a shot like this again, or even 80% of the time?

No mention from the guide, either, on practicing this 300-400 rounds or so, before trying it in the field.

While that 105 VLD did it this time, it ain't much of a bullet statistically out of a 243 at near 800 yards to do it 10 times out of 10, or even 5 times out of 10 in a very experienced hand with those yardages and wind conditions.

Read what Greg Rodriguez of Shooting Times magazine has to say of this type of shooting, with far larger calibers than the .243. And, he never met AlabamaEd.

+3 AlabamaEd

Last edited by BuckeyeSpecial; 12/05/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey, I keep saying that the .243 is just marginal for a big KS whitetail. Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?

John, I can't believe all the negatives about your post that I enjoyed. Maybe the forum needs rules about hunting elk. Yeah, like the government.

Last edited by croldfort; 12/05/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow! Great shot by the young lady.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great video and a great shoot, congratulations to the young lady.

Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A young lady on the local 4-H shooting team that qualified for state every year that I saw her shoot wore a shirt with pride that read:

"I SHOOT LIKE A GIRL"

I think this young lady could wear that one with pride as well. smile

Nice shot!

Steve

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great video. It amazes me how many people will tell you what they just saw can't be done, and the reasons why. Tim Tebow can't win in the NFL either. smile

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Moses
Great video. It amazes me how many people will tell you what they just saw can't be done, and the reasons why. Tim Tebow can't win in the NFL either. smile

Ya it can be done although the vid appears to be shopped. Not common hunting practices and clearly something for the antis. questionable activities like this are para ethical, just because it is legal and can be done doesn't mean it is right to do it. Clearly not common or a responsible hunting practices nor generally acceptable.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
BS. If the shot was 350, and the elk died, would that have been acceptable to you? How about 250? How about 450?

And I have a news flash--the anti's don't think a 30 yard shot is acceptable either, so why do people always worry about what the anti's have to say, and use that as a rationale for what's acceptable?

Almost forgot, congrats to the young lady, and especially to JB for getting her the first big game animal.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well I won't say this CAN'T be done, as it obviously can, but I would have to ask was there no way to get closer. The thing I personally don't like about this type of "hunting", is that it encourages people to try this type of shot, just to see if they can do it. I have no doubt Mr. Burns is capable of making this shot, but what about the people that can't hit a pie plate at 200 yds. I think there are far more people who Can't make that shot, than those who can. Those are the people I worry about trying that shot and failing, causing a miss at best, or a wounded animal at worst. YMMV

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Is the life of an Elk/Deer more worthy than a groundhog/prairie dog? Most would not consider taking a shot at them unless it was a fun (hundreds of yards) distance. What is it that we are protesting here? Just sayin...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Personally speaking I think the life of a game animal is more worthy than a groundhog. This statement is exactly what I'm talking about. Hey there's an elk at 700 yds. lets see if I can hit it. If I mess up and wound the elk, so what, I'll see another one later. Come'on folks, that [bleep] ain't right and you know it. If your expert enough to make that shot, fine. If not you have no business shooting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jstall
Personally speaking I think the life of a game animal is more worthy than a groundhog. This statement is exactly what I'm talking about. Hey there's an elk at 700 yds. lets see if I can hit it. If I mess up and wound the elk, so what, I'll see another one later. Come'on folks, that [bleep] ain't right and you know it. If your expert enough to make that shot, fine. If not you have no business shooting.
For me the bold portion applies regardless of what range the animal is at...YMMV.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by pointer
For me the bold portion applies regardless of what range the animal is at...YMMV.

I agree with that 100%. I have no problem with experts taking long shots, it's the people that think if he can do that with a 243, just think what I should be able to do with my 7mm Ultra Mag.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Personally speaking I think the life of a game animal is more worthy than a groundhog. This statement is exactly what I'm talking about. Hey there's an elk at 700 yds. lets see if I can hit it.
Is that what you would do?
If not why would you think others would do the same?
Because they saw it on TV?
jstall, you set yourself up as being morally superior, and compared to others, almost self righteous if you get my drift..
Personally I wouldn't take that shot because I don't have the trigger time at long range..
But you only have my word for that..
If I mess up and wound the elk, so what, I'll see another one later. Come'on folks, that [bleep] ain't right and you know it. If your expert enough to make that shot, fine. If not you have no business shooting.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice shooting young lady! Whats the rifle look like? Total custom job or.....? The recipe for the load?? Scope?

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by gorskij
Nice shooting young lady! Whats the rifle look like? Total custom job or.....? The recipe for the load?? Scope?

Huh??
Where have you been?

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
How in the world did you come up with that from what I posted? I am no part of self righteous. I clearly stated if you are CAPABLE of making that shot ,fine. There are people that see that stuff on TV and think because some people can do it, that they should be able to do it, and that's just not true. I personally would not take that shot either, because like you, I don't have the trigger time at those ranges.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Nrut
Originally Posted by gorskij

Huh??
Where have you been?

I just read the whole thread now, still didnt see anything about the rifle, load, scope, fill me in pls. Oh, Id have used my 6mm and 105AMAXs, hehe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And, the rifle on the bottom of this pic.
[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 71 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,776
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.