Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 20 21
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jstall
There are people that see that stuff on TV and think because some people can do it, that they should be able to do it, and that's just not true.

The problerm is with those people, not the guy who can and does make the shot.

.....but what about the people that can't hit a pie plate at 200 yds. I think there are far more people who Can't make that shot, than those who can.

I'd agree with that, yet there are those who would say a 250 yard shot is "ethical" and a 750 yard shot is "unethical."

Ethical is the distance at which you can place the bullet reliably and make a clean kill. Some can do it at 750, and because others can't, the others label it "unethical" and it's not.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am not expert enough to make that shot. If I were being mentored/coached by someone who had those skills and they were confident in me, the conditions, the equiptment and were there talking me through the shot maybe. I would prabably say "Hey; look at those Elk!" "How can we get closer?" It does'nt change the fact that there are people who can do this and it is how they choose to hunt. It is fun. At the end of the day we are a bunch of guys who like to wear our hunting clothes, mess with our gadgets, argue scopes/rifles/calibers, roam the woods where others won't go (hopefully) wishing that we could do this everyday, eat on a tailgate or by a fire, spend an hour the night before trying to decide which socks, pants, boots, gloves, coat, hat to wear, and stand leaning at the back of a truck with other hunters yacking because it is fun. Deer camp we pretend for a week that the most important thing in life is pursuing deer. It is fun.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Cripes sakes she made the shot!
By extension with Burns as a spotter / coach she is fully CAPABLE to make the shot..
Neither you nor I know how long that she may have practiced shooting long range..
The jerks that would take that shoot without any long range practice don't need the TV to enable them!
Hell I have a dumb [bleep] neighbor who 32 years ago took a shot at a Ram at what he est. to be 500yds..
I know for a fact he has never shot on paper past 100yds..
He did all that without seeing it on TV!

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Like I said, if You are CAPABLE of making that shot, then I don't have a problem with it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
All they say on the video is her first shot at an Elk. Nothing is said about her overall skill.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Understood. I just don't understand why people keep bringing up what idiots who see it on TV may or may not do, what the anti's think of it, etc.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Moses
All they say on the video is her first shot at an Elk. Nothing is said about her overall skill.

The way I look at it, she's batting 1000.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Knowing what my 6mmRem is capable of(shot a 5.398" 5 shot group @600yds last year)and knowing the distance Id have taken the shot, too. You gotta have the confidence to make a shot like that. A spotter doesnt hurt, either.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by gorskij
Originally Posted by Nrut
Nice shooting young lady! Whats the rifle look like? Total custom job or.....? The recipe for the load?? Scope?

Huh??
Where have you been?

I just read the whole thread now, still didnt see anything about the rifle, load, scope, fill me in pls. Oh, Id have used my 6mm and 105AMAXs, hehe

I would have thought that you would know about Greybull Precision since they sponsor the Custom Rifles & Wildcats Forum..
I see now that you only joined this site in May of this year (789 posts already?) so you must have missed the welcoming committee rants about his over priced rifles and stupid custom LR scopes... smirk
I am surpised Burns doesn't give it up, as he must know by now that he is not welcome around here... laugh laugh

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Short video of elk hunt from this weekend. These elk have been hunted all fall and are pretty wary.

This was the third time we setup on the herd and the first chance she had for a shot. I uploaded the video at full HD.

Congratulations to the young lady is indeed inorder

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
People wound more animals at close range every year I'm SURE than John has ever seen wounded and not recovered at long range. Seems like "ethical" is all relative on your shooter. Just my 2 cents.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would like to ask, if recomending an elk rifle to someone, what caliber would you choose? The reason I ask is because it seems like there are 2 extremes and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. It seems like some gunwriters want a 338 magnum of some sort and others say a 243/6mm is more than enough. What do ya'll think?

Last edited by jstall; 12/06/11.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
.270, .280, 30-06 etc. Ilove to fish for spotail bass (redfish) and I would recommend a medium heavy rod with 12- 20 lbs test line, but I use a light spinning outfit with 6 lbs line because it makes it more challenging. That makes it fun for me. But I could see it as more challenging to get closer to elk also. But I don't know the reason why they didnt in the video.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BuckeyeSpecial
While that 105 VLD did it this time, it ain't much of a bullet statistically out of a 243 at near 800 yards to do it 10 times out of 10, or even 5 times out of 10 in a very experienced hand with those yardages and wind conditions.

I am interested in the �statistics� you speak of concerning the .243 Win/105 VLD. Could you post findings as your �statistics� are contrary to mine? I have only seen a dozen or so elk killed with the 243 Win/105 VLD so my sample is not overly large.

The 243 Win/105 VLD is a proven elk killer in the hands of a decent shooter. While this is getting out to edge of my comfort level with the combo another friend of mine killed her bull elk this year at 760yds with one shot through the shoulder.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeSpecial
Read what Greg Rodriguez of Shooting Times magazine has to say of this type of shooting, with far larger calibers than the .243. And, he never met AlabamaEd.

I was not aware you spoke for Greg or that he has a problem with my video. As he is a forum member here did you have a discussion with him over PM? cool

Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
Originally Posted by Moses
Great video. It amazes me how many people will tell you what they just saw can't be done, and the reasons why. Tim Tebow can't win in the NFL either. smile

Ya it can be done although the vid appears to be shopped.

AlabamaEd,

You sure are a peach.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Burns,

Do you tell your shooters to aim for high shoulder? Out of the ones you've seen killed, what was the "worst" angle the animal was at? Do you have any limitations? (like no head on shots, etc)

(I have a box of them and plan on loading them up for deer hunting)

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Personally speaking I think the life of a game animal is more worthy than a groundhog. This statement is exactly what I'm talking about. Hey there's an elk at 700 yds. lets see if I can hit it. If I mess up and wound the elk, so what, I'll see another one later. Come'on folks, that [bleep] ain't right and you know it. If your expert enough to make that shot, fine. If not you have no business shooting.

EDITED- Apology sent.

Last edited by archie_james_c; 12/06/11.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Edited Apology accepted

Last edited by jstall; 12/06/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"DWD" (darn well done) John and company.

Proves what good equipment and good coaching can do.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd have used dots and a Core-lokt.....

Nice

From my experience, yeah that would of done the trick as well. Good call... wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice shooting young lady! Whats the rifle look like? Total custom job or.....? The recipe for the load?? Scope?

Huh??
Where have you been?

I just read the whole thread now, still didnt see anything about the rifle, load, scope, fill me in pls. Oh, Id have used my 6mm and 105AMAXs, hehe

I would have thought that you would know about Greybull Precision since they sponsor the Custom Rifles & Wildcats Forum..
I see now that you only joined this site in May of this year (789 posts already?) so you must have missed the welcoming committee rants about his over priced rifles and stupid custom LR scopes... smirk
I am surpised Burns doesn't give it up, as he must know by now that he is not welcome around here... laugh laugh

Id have more posts than that but I forget my old username. So if I go to Greybull theyll have all the info there? Not that it matters, Im sure she was using Leupold scope, Mcmillan stock, of course that godawful 243Winny, maybe a PacNor barrel mated to a Remington action? All hideous things for sure. grin

Page 5 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (1lesfox, 257 mag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 31 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,451
Posts18,528,894
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.