Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Redneck Online Content OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
How does one get comfy with these? I have a M. Rosen ARG fit for my Kimber 3" and am trying to get used to it.. Is this only a good fit for skinny types? laugh I know I gotta get another 2" waistband jeans to use with this thing... Or do ya hafta use it enough that yer waist develops an 'imprint' on it's own.. smile

Curious here..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Never had a problem with mine and I carry a 5" 1911, but I don't wear skin tight clothes either

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I love them. But I would not even attempt wearing them unless your pants are two sizes over. I'm a 34 but only buy 36 for just that reason.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I also wear mine just behind centerline.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
How does one get comfy with these? I have a M. Rosen ARG fit for my Kimber 3" and am trying to get used to it.. Is this only a good fit for skinny types? laugh I know I gotta get another 2" waistband jeans to use with this thing... Or do ya hafta use it enough that yer waist develops an 'imprint' on it's own.. smile

Curious here..

Best pants for concealed carry that I've found are Cabela's chinos with the elastic in the sides of the waist---those and the "slider" waisted trousers are ideal---with jeans, you pretty much just have to size up.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If I'm not mistaken the ARG has a pretty good foward cant to it, so it probably needs to go a little farther behind centerline. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck and it is super comfortable.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jstall
... I use a Crossbreed Supertuck and it is super comfortable.

+1

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
If I'm not mistaken the ARG has a pretty good foward cant to it, so it probably needs to go a little farther behind centerline. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck and it is super comfortable.
Further behind the hip? Hmmm..

And yeah, it has a good forward cant..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You have to work with the particular holster and gun combination until you find the right spot, and then you will have the "ah ha" moment.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Two words for you, "Milt Sparks". grin

All day every day. The grip sits in the fleshy (OK make that fatty) spot above the hip bone. I wear Wrangler regular or slim fit and most days I can forget its there. Remember, I don't do a desk job. Today it is cutting more rounds of firewood then splitting them, hauling the splits in a wheelbarrow and stacking on the wood pile.

Sitting, driving, reading the Fire, driving, or working as hard is a busted up old fart can work, it stays where I put it and rides comfortable all day long.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
To get comfortable, I'd ditch the holster, turn the gun around and carry it butt to front, canted to the rear. The so called Calvary Style.
Conceals better, allows one to adjust it's possition, or turn it around, stays put, and is accessible to either hand. The only drawback is that it gets wet some. Simply wipe it down a time or two per day and carry on. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda hard to do better than a Rosen ARG, so you have the right gunleather. I�m no skinny guy �bout 6-2 � 225lbs. Just takes some getting used to. Be sure to get yourself an actual gun belt, that does help. The extra thickness and stiffness of the gun belt helps you to secure the holster without cinching up your britches so tight your belly button becomes a third nipple. From there, it�s just a matter of getting used to that mode of carry. The best way to get used to it is to carry around the house as you go about your day. After a while, it just becomes the new normal.

The IWB isn�t as comfortable as OWB, but it�s typically more secure, and concealment is worlds better.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
To get comfortable, I'd ditch the holster, turn the gun around and carry it butt to front, canted to the rear. The so called Calvary Style.
Conceals better, allows one to adjust it's possition, or turn it around, stays put, and is accessible to either hand. The only drawback is that it gets wet some. Simply wipe it down a time or two per day and carry on. E

No disrespect meant to Eremicus, but carrying a gun with no holster will eventually cause you misery. The gun should not move when you move, in other words it should be in the same place all the time. If you spend much time moving around without a holster, you may just find yourself moving around without a gun.

Last edited by jstall; 12/06/11.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
No, the gun, if properly carried doesn't move. A good belt sees to that. What I meant was it can be moved or shifted in position if the wearer wishes. You can change the cant of the gun, turn it around, or slide it back or forward. But, after adjusting it's position, the belt is tighten to lock it into place.
I've carried several guns like that off and on over the years. I've even run with it so carried. I can't run with a revolver so carried, but any flat sided auto works fine. E

XL5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Run it backerds and forwards on your belt to find the "sweet spot." I carry an ultra-compact single stack autoloader in the summer and a full size double stack in the winter, both IWB. If your holster's "ride height" is adjustable, run it up and down, too. I carry the full size further forward on the hip, and higher. The subcompact is almost in my SOB and lower to the beltline.

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
You have to work with the particular holster and gun combination until you find the right spot, and then you will have the "ah ha" moment.

And for me, as others have already opined, that was when I tried a Crossbreed for a G19. I'm sure a compact 1911 would be even more comfortable. I help a friend at gunshows periodically and sometimes carry his Wilson Sentinel in an Andrews Leather IWB that is quite similar to the Sparks holster. VERY comfortable.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 12/06/11. Reason: spellin'
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

The IWB isn�t as comfortable as OWB, but it�s typically more secure, and concealment is worlds better.

I would have agreed with that prior to the Crossbreed.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Further behind the hip? Hmmm..

And yeah, it has a good forward cant..

I hate any and all holsters with marked cant. You have to "chickenwing" (markedly extend your strong side elbow laterally) to draw from them. This is slower to draw and makes it more difficult to obtain a proper firing grip. Also, you are more likely to bump your elbow into something and really screw yourself under stress.

On the Crossbreed, the cant is adjustable. I prefer 5-10degrees and no more. I carry a Glock as far forward on my hip as I have too to be able to comfortably sit in a car, with the magazine base pressed against the seat bolster. A G17 causes the gun to be too far forward, the G19 is "just right".

R
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
All good info and I intend to closely read it all.. I should have mentioned that I ordered the belt to match the holster.. It's my second dedicated gun belt from Rosens and they're outstanding.. (and danged stiff) laugh That alone will take some time to break in and form to me right.. I think I could tow my truck and camper with these things.. Hehehehee..

Funny thing is, I bought jeans with 2" extra waistbands just for CCW and now (unfortunately) I fit those rather well and will have to go for ANOTHER 2" Grrrrr... laugh

If this ARG is far enough back, i.e., behind the hip, it doesn't seem to conceal as well as when it's forward.. Mebbe I should have had this configured for my Kahr P-380.. I've got another Rosen saddle for OTB use and that's just plain comfy ..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Brand new rig belts can definitely cause some discomfort with an IWB.

Travis

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1234, 67 invisible), 16,984 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,189
Posts18,543,388
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.