-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John, 6K for your rifles, Ill take one, thats cheap, LOL. How does that young ladies rifle group out to 600yds(MOA)?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B&C stock, or the more gooder H-S Precision?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Thanks John, nice video.

Congratulations to the young lady on her Elk.

Thanks for doing your part in the outdoor shooting/hunting industry.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bit of stretch for that caliber/cartridge in my book, but it looks like it worked.

1Minute
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The shot was made and was successful; this is indisputable. Many people like to hunt this way and, I suppose, it's OK. I do not. I would not even attempt such a shot though I am fairly certain I could make it. I shoot quite a bit at long range and I have a half dozen "F" class rifles in the vault but I'm one of those guys who doesn't remember the "X" I fired nearly as vividly as I remember the "8" that should have been an "X". I shoot a lot at 6 inch plates. If I can't ALWAYS hit that plate, I'm not likely to take such a shot at an animal. I have occasionally missed the plate at 400 meters so I'll always want to be closer than that. That's just my choice. In the end it just shows we all have our own ideas as to what is "right". GD

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love it - Congrats to her & you John!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
+1 greydog

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by gorskij
B&C stock, or the more gooder H-S Precision?

You try a Greybull stock and you'll spit on anything H&S makes. He got the ergonomics dead nuts on that stock. Also, I don't believe he has any former FBI assassins in his employ.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by BuckeyeSpecial
While that 105 VLD did it this time, it ain't much of a bullet statistically out of a 243 at near 800 yards to do it 10 times out of 10, or even 5 times out of 10 in a very experienced hand with those yardages and wind conditions.

I am interested in the �statistics� you speak of concerning the .243 Win/105 VLD. Could you post findings as your �statistics� are contrary to mine? I have only seen a dozen or so elk killed with the 243 Win/105 VLD so my sample is not overly large.

The 243 Win/105 VLD is a proven elk killer in the hands of a decent shooter. While this is getting out to edge of my comfort level with the combo another friend of mine killed her bull elk this year at 760yds with one shot through the shoulder.

Read what Greg Rodriguez of Shooting Times magazine has to say of this type of shooting, with far larger calibers than the .243. And, he never met AlabamaEd.

I was not aware you spoke for Greg or that he has a problem with my video. As he is a forum member here did you have a discussion with him over PM? cool

Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
Originally Posted by Moses
Great video. It amazes me how many people will tell you what they just saw can't be done, and the reasons why. Tim Tebow can't win in the NFL either. smile

Ya it can be done although the vid appears to be shopped.

AlabamaEd,

You sure are a peach.

Mr. Burns:

You seemed to miss my point(s)...the 105 gr. 243 bullet has approximately 600lbs. of energy left at 700 yards [presuming the 3100 FPS Maximum velocity at the muzzle: source Nosler #4 Manual].

That isn't enough energy to kill CONSISTENTLY at that range.

Yes, one can HIT the target - like a steel gong - at that range, but that's not what I am talking about. I am pointing out that killing consistently is not likely, and is more UNLIKELY, using 600 lbs of energy.

The statistics I am referring to is the probability of any shooter doing so with that respective bullet at that respective range and respective impact velocity for 10 of 10 or even 5 of 10 attempts. It's NOT discussing using the .243 at ANY i.e. shorter range(s) to kill elk; we are discussing it's use at 700 yards...

One or two kills, are case studies, and not a controlled study.

A controlled study, typically with an N=30 or more, will allow for statistical significance , or no significance. So, even 10 consecutive kills is not sufficient for subjecting data to a t-test for significance. A survey of hunters [30 or more] who have done the above, not excluding the misses and wounded eld i.e. including them, will need to be conducted and the data sujected to analysis for significance.

Do you see where we are going...? (No GPS or range finder needed.)

In other words, if you have them, post 10 more consecutive elk kill videos from the same shooter with the same range and the same bullet. Then get 20 more, or a few less. Then, we look at analysis.

And, NO, I don't speak for Mr. Rodriguez, he spoke for himself in his recent article on limits to long range hunting (and NOT with small[er] calibers such as the .243.

I would be remiss if you have access to a better protocol than the Optimum Game Weight Formula (OGW) re lbs of energy need for consistent kills, then please introduce it. The OGW is proven superior to the Taylor Knockdown formula; neither one is perfect or without exception. However, statistics is about the rule and the exception...and what happens the most typically is the rule.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A controlled study, typically with an N=30 or more, will allow for statistical significance , or no significance. So, even 10 consecutive kills is not sufficient for subjecting data to a t-test for significance. A survey of hunters [30 or more] who have done the above, not excluding the misses and wounded eld i.e. including them, will need to be conducted and the data sujected to analysis for significance.

In other words, if you have them, post 10 more consecutive elk kill videos from the same shooter with the same range and the same bullet. Then get 20 more, or a few less. Then, we look at analysis.

The way I see it, you're the one making the assertions here, namely that the cartridge/bullet/shooter is inadequate to consistently kill elk at a given distance.

So the way I see it, it's up to you to provide data to support your assertion, not the other way around.

So where's your data?

Also, the way I see it, whether Burns has 10 kills to his credit or one kill to his credit, those are data points and you have zero data points. If Burns has less than a sample of 30 (10), and you want to call his data statistically insignificant, what do you call your data set with zero data points?

Besides, what are your credentials as a long-range hunting or precision shooting expert? Aren't you the one who opined on another thread that choosing the right sized bushing for a bushing die depended on the diameter of the "chamber's respective neck size??" I've only been re-loading for a few years, but even I could see the error in that.

Likely the most benefit withe Redding Neck Bushing Dies as they accomplish just the right amount of neck sizing once you have determined your chamber's respective neck size; this allows for longer case life, consistent neck tension, a more exact fit, thus better accuracy [in theory].

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

.....the 105 gr. 243 bullet has approximately 600lbs. of energy left at 700 yards [presuming the 3100 FPS Maximum velocity at the muzzle.....

A 105gr Berger VLD at 3100 fps mv will retain about 2140 fps/1068 ft-lbs at 700 yards, at 5000' el.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

What the hell does foot pounds of enrgy have to do with anything? I mean why even mention FE

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I could give a schitt less.

BS has been ranting on FPE and I thought it a bit funny he didn't even have that correct.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

What the hell does foot pounds of enrgy have to do with anything? I mean why even mention FE

Well Bowhunters are obviously unethical too..

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At 688 yards, the 105 started at 3100 would be at 1900 fps.

For a control group, maybe someone should shoot some elk or elk-sized animals at 50 yards with some of that ammo loaded at 1900 fps.

Of course not all should be shot in the same place. Some in the shoulder blade, some in the heart/lungs, some a little far back to simulate the possibility of not being able to judge the wind perfectly.

At 688, a 200 grainer out of a .300 WM started at 2900 would be traveling at the same velocity as the .243 caliber 105 grain bullet; 1900.

Maybe load some up at 1900 and shoot the same test at 50 yards.

Compare results?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
While that 105 VLD did it this time, it ain't much of a bullet statistically out of a 243 at near 800 yards to do it 10 times out of 10, or even 5 times out of 10 in a very experienced hand with those yardages and wind conditions.

I am interested in the “statistics” you speak of concerning the .243 Win/105 VLD. Could you post findings as your “statistics” are contrary to mine? I have only seen a dozen or so elk killed with the 243 Win/105 VLD so my sample is not overly large.

The 243 Win/105 VLD is a proven elk killer in the hands of a decent shooter. While this is getting out to edge of my comfort level with the combo another friend of mine killed her bull elk this year at 760yds with one shot through the shoulder.

Read what Greg Rodriguez of Shooting Times magazine has to say of this type of shooting, with far larger calibers than the .243. And, he never met AlabamaEd.

I was not aware you spoke for Greg or that he has a problem with my video. As he is a forum member here did you have a discussion with him over PM? cool

Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
Originally Posted by Moses
Great video. It amazes me how many people will tell you what they just saw can't be done, and the reasons why. Tim Tebow can't win in the NFL either. smile

Ya it can be done although the vid appears to be shopped.

AlabamaEd,

You sure are a peach.

Mr. Burns:

You seemed to miss my point(s)...the 105 gr. 243 bullet has approximately 600lbs. of energy left at 700 yards [presuming the 3100 FPS Maximum velocity at the muzzle: source Nosler #4 Manual].

That isn't enough energy to kill CONSISTENTLY at that range.

Yes, one can HIT the target - like a steel gong - at that range, but that's not what I am talking about. I am pointing out that killing consistently is not likely, and is more UNLIKELY, using 600 lbs of energy.

The statistics I am referring to is the probability of any shooter doing so with that respective bullet at that respective range and respective impact velocity for 10 of 10 or even 5 of 10 attempts. It's NOT discussing using the .243 at ANY i.e. shorter range(s) to kill elk; we are discussing it's use at 700 yards...

One or two kills, are case studies, and not a controlled study.

And, NO, I don't speak for Mr. Rodriguez, he spoke for himself in his recent article on limits to long range hunting (and NOT with small[er] calibers such as the .243.

I would be remiss if you have access to a better protocol than the Optimum Game Weight Formula (OGW) re lbs of energy need for consistent kills, then please introduce it. The OGW is proven superior to the Taylor Knockdown formula; neither one is perfect or without exception. However, statistics is about the rule and the exception...and what happens the most typically is the rule.

I for one, never pull the trigger without first consulting the proper case study.

GMAFB!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It is obvious a 243 can kill an elk, but that doesn't mean it isn't a stunt especially at long range. If a 243 is the end all, then why does Mr. Burns himself offer larger chamberings?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
It is obvious a 243 can kill an elk, but that doesn't mean it isn't a stunt especially at long range. If a 243 is the end all, then why does Mr. Burns himself offer larger chamberings?

Cause their are doubters willing to spend moolah????

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are bigger critters than elk?

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Perhaps I missed it but, where did Burns or anyone else say that the 243 is the end all?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1911a1, 61 invisible), 2,723 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,729
Posts18,514,326
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.