Page 8 of 21 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 20 21
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by BuckeyeSpecial
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
While that 105 VLD did it this time, it ain't much of a bullet statistically out of a 243 at near 800 yards to do it 10 times out of 10, or even 5 times out of 10 in a very experienced hand with those yardages and wind conditions.

I am interested in the �statistics� you speak of concerning the .243 Win/105 VLD. Could you post findings as your �statistics� are contrary to mine? I have only seen a dozen or so elk killed with the 243 Win/105 VLD so my sample is not overly large.

The 243 Win/105 VLD is a proven elk killer in the hands of a decent shooter. While this is getting out to edge of my comfort level with the combo another friend of mine killed her bull elk this year at 760yds with one shot through the shoulder.

Read what Greg Rodriguez of Shooting Times magazine has to say of this type of shooting, with far larger calibers than the .243. And, he never met AlabamaEd.

I was not aware you spoke for Greg or that he has a problem with my video. As he is a forum member here did you have a discussion with him over PM? cool

Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
Originally Posted by Moses
Great video. It amazes me how many people will tell you what they just saw can't be done, and the reasons why. Tim Tebow can't win in the NFL either. smile

Ya it can be done although the vid appears to be shopped.

AlabamaEd,

You sure are a peach.

Mr. Burns:

You seemed to miss my point(s)...the 105 gr. 243 bullet has approximately 600lbs. of energy left at 700 yards [presuming the 3100 FPS Maximum velocity at the muzzle: source Nosler #4 Manual].

That isn't enough energy to kill CONSISTENTLY at that range.

Yes, one can HIT the target - like a steel gong - at that range, but that's not what I am talking about. I am pointing out that killing consistently is not likely, and is more UNLIKELY, using 600 lbs of energy.

The statistics I am referring to is the probability of any shooter doing so with that respective bullet at that respective range and respective impact velocity for 10 of 10 or even 5 of 10 attempts. It's NOT discussing using the .243 at ANY i.e. shorter range(s) to kill elk; we are discussing it's use at 700 yards...

One or two kills, are case studies, and not a controlled study.

A controlled study, typically with an N=30 or more, will allow for statistical significance , or no significance. So, even 10 consecutive kills is not sufficient for subjecting data to a t-test for significance. A survey of hunters [30 or more] who have done the above, not excluding the misses and wounded eld i.e. including them, will need to be conducted and the data sujected to analysis for significance.

Do you see where we are going...? (No GPS or range finder needed.)

In other words, if you have them, post 10 more consecutive elk kill videos from the same shooter with the same range and the same bullet. Then get 20 more, or a few less. Then, we look at analysis.

And, NO, I don't speak for Mr. Rodriguez, he spoke for himself in his recent article on limits to long range hunting (and NOT with small[er] calibers such as the .243.

I would be remiss if you have access to a better protocol than the Optimum Game Weight Formula (OGW) re lbs of energy need for consistent kills, then please introduce it. The OGW is proven superior to the Taylor Knockdown formula; neither one is perfect or without exception. However, statistics is about the rule and the exception...and what happens the most typically is the rule.

Who let the idiot in?

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
MontanaMarine:

As I noted, Nosler #4 doesn't show that speed for a 105 gr. 243 bullet (I quoted the 100 grain Partition from Nosler) ....but if Berger says it is going that fast its news to me....2140 FPS for the Berger is what a 100 gr. Partition is doing at 400 yards.

The Berger bullet is moving nearly twice as far [allegedly] i.e. to 700 compared to the Partition speed at 400 yards...hmmm interesting physics.

Has anyone shot the Berger through a chronograph at 700 yards @ 5000 feet elev.to prove that? I mean, besides John Burns' crew...

Last edited by BuckeyeSpecial; 12/06/11.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
While that 105 VLD did it this time, it ain't much of a bullet statistically out of a 243 at near 800 yards to do it 10 times out of 10, or even 5 times out of 10 in a very experienced hand with those yardages and wind conditions.

I am interested in the �statistics� you speak of concerning the .243 Win/105 VLD. Could you post findings as your �statistics� are contrary to mine? I have only seen a dozen or so elk killed with the 243 Win/105 VLD so my sample is not overly large.

The 243 Win/105 VLD is a proven elk killer in the hands of a decent shooter. While this is getting out to edge of my comfort level with the combo another friend of mine killed her bull elk this year at 760yds with one shot through the shoulder.

Read what Greg Rodriguez of Shooting Times magazine has to say of this type of shooting, with far larger calibers than the .243. And, he never met AlabamaEd.

I was not aware you spoke for Greg or that he has a problem with my video. As he is a forum member here did you have a discussion with him over PM? cool

Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
Originally Posted by Moses
Great video. It amazes me how many people will tell you what they just saw can't be done, and the reasons why. Tim Tebow can't win in the NFL either. smile

Ya it can be done although the vid appears to be shopped.

AlabamaEd,

You sure are a peach.

Mr. Burns:

You seemed to miss my point(s)...the 105 gr. 243 bullet has approximately 600lbs. of energy left at 700 yards [presuming the 3100 FPS Maximum velocity at the muzzle: source Nosler #4 Manual].

That isn't enough energy to kill CONSISTENTLY at that range.

Yes, one can HIT the target - like a steel gong - at that range, but that's not what I am talking about. I am pointing out that killing consistently is not likely, and is more UNLIKELY, using 600 lbs of energy.

The statistics I am referring to is the probability of any shooter doing so with that respective bullet at that respective range and respective impact velocity for 10 of 10 or even 5 of 10 attempts. It's NOT discussing using the .243 at ANY i.e. shorter range(s) to kill elk; we are discussing it's use at 700 yards...

One or two kills, are case studies, and not a controlled study.

A controlled study, typically with an N=30 or more, will allow for statistical significance , or no significance. So, even 10 consecutive kills is not sufficient for subjecting data to a t-test for significance. A survey of hunters [30 or more] who have done the above, not excluding the misses and wounded eld i.e. including them, will need to be conducted and the data sujected to analysis for significance.

Do you see where we are going...? (No GPS or range finder needed.)

In other words, if you have them, post 10 more consecutive elk kill videos from the same shooter with the same range and the same bullet. Then get 20 more, or a few less. Then, we look at analysis.

And, NO, I don't speak for Mr. Rodriguez, he spoke for himself in his recent article on limits to long range hunting (and NOT with small[er] calibers such as the .243.

I would be remiss if you have access to a better protocol than the Optimum Game Weight Formula (OGW) re lbs of energy need for consistent kills, then please introduce it. The OGW is proven superior to the Taylor Knockdown formula; neither one is perfect or without exception. However, statistics is about the rule and the exception...and what happens the most typically is the rule.

I'm not sure that you have a point. I that elk can't read and the FPE dpesn't impress them much, but a hole through their vitals does.

If you can read then ths might help you a bit

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
'tard...

The VLD has a BC that trumps an NP in ways your book (and not experienced) learning obviously can't fathom. That, is physics.

The JBM calcs are better than guesses, and accurate enough to run drop charts. BT/DT.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Buckeye,

I simply have to use a line I've used elsewhere on the Campfire: Apparently your experience runs all the way from A to B.

You're way over your head on this, believe me.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I was being sarcastic!
jeeze!

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I had to go back to my archives to find this chart on ballistics, it is indisputable and should help solve the ballistic uncertainties...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
Burns,

Do you tell your shooters to aim for high shoulder? Out of the ones you've seen killed, what was the "worst" angle the animal was at? Do you have any limitations? (like no head on shots, etc)

(I have a box of them and plan on loading them up for deer hunting)

At distance I always just go for the shoulder and mid way up the body. I do seem to get lucky as a percentage with DRTs from that shot. If the shot lands at or above mid line it is usually DRT, if the shot is below mid line then they may travel a short distance.

Biggest or maybe most common mistake is hitting to high if going for a high shoulder. If the bullet hits above the spine in the dorsal ridges the animal collapse but will regain it mobility.

The �worst angle� is the grizzly bear in the Greybull video at the top of the custom forum. I hit him behind the ribs raking forward and you can see the water blow off his shoulder from the impact. I think he ran about 40yds and started to sway. The next shot was as he was facing directly away and hit him in the center of the back, DRT. That was the 180gr VLD in a 7mm Mag.

I don�t have any qualms about head on shots other than the target is quite a bit smaller. VLDs work fine for those shots.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c

EDITED- Apology sent.

Originally Posted by jstall
Edited Apology accepted

Thanks guys for cleaning up the thread. smile

Originally Posted by 1minute
A bit of stretch for that caliber/cartridge in my book, but it looks like it worked.

Pretty fair assessment.

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
.....the 105 gr. 243 bullet has approximately 600lbs. of energy left at 700 yards [presuming the 3100 FPS Maximum velocity at the muzzle.....

A 105gr Berger VLD at 3100 fps mv will retain about 2140 fps/1068 ft-lbs at 700 yards, at 5000' el.

Shane,
Thanks. I suspect he doesn�t let the facts get in the way of a good emotional response. grin

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
It is obvious a 243 can kill an elk, but that doesn't mean it isn't a stunt especially at long range. If a 243 is the end all, then why does Mr. Burns himself offer larger chamberings?

Dogcatcher223,

In addition to all the other good answers (Tom, Dober, JWP, teal) you have gotten I would add that I personally like a little more reach than 700yds when talking elk.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
My hat is off to Mr Burns and his Daughter.

Thanks for the kind words but she is just a friend. I got to know her because we share some pasture. She has half a dozen horses and I keep my mules on the same place.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Shrapnel;

Please modify your drawing for the physics-defying, magic, trajectory-flattening, super-high rings....

That'll fix EVERYTHING.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Mule Deer:

Let's all limit our shots to 700 yards, nothing shorter, and use only the .243. Seems to be the most efficient, and ethical too. You can spot for me.

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I'd take that offer and have JB spot. Or the other JB. Or MontanaMarine.

You're in so far over your head at this point you'll see daylight in China before you come back out the way you went in.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

a condescending post isn't a very good way to learn about things that you are presently clueless about

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nrut
I would have thought that you would know about Greybull Precision since they sponsor the Custom Rifles & Wildcats Forum..
I see now that you only joined this site in May of this year (789 posts already?) so you must have missed the welcoming committee rants about his over priced rifles and stupid custom LR scopes... smirk
I am surpised Burns doesn't give it up, as he must know by now that he is not welcome around here... laugh laugh

Originally Posted by 805

Nrut- John is welcome here anytime! His knowledge is greatly appreciated by me and many others. If you don't like what he has to say don't read it or respond.
Calvin- The 105VLD is an amazing 6mm bullet. Why not load some up and test it for yourself. I wouldnt hesitate to use it on a deer at 500.

Congrats to the young lady on a great shot and clean ethical kill.

Originally Posted by Nrut
I was being sarcastic!
jeeze!

Thanks for the congrats and the nice comments. I did get that Nrut was just poking fun. grin

Last edited by JohnBurns; 12/06/11.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
TBaker5390:

Oh, she killed that elk, this time. You can too, and even me, sometimes....

My point is about doing it almost every time...say 9 of 10 attempts...not just hitting it 9 of 10, but killing it 9 of 10 at 700 yards.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
So, you've gone from guessing incorrectly about FPE, to making wild assertions as to whether someone else could/could not make that shot to a percentage that you pulled out of the air?

Classic...

Quit while you're way, way behind.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
John, how much time did the gal put in behind the rifle prior to taking her out hunting?

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
805 Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nrut I apologize. I didn't detect that.

John your welcome. Again thanks for all the help on the stock. Just loaded some 105vld to test in my 243ai. What powder were you using?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Now that the uproar has died a bit.... great vid, coaching,enabling and etc John Burns most impressive.Congrats to the lady on a fine shot. What I would like to know is what magnification do you use on shots like this and your antelope etc. Thinking I would like to set up a rifle for up to 1000 and shoot some steel build some skills at extended distance for just the fun of LR shooting. Magnum Man

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Now that the uproar has died a bit.... great vid, coaching,enabling and etc John Burns most impressive.Congrats to the lady on a fine shot. What I would like to know is what magnification do you use on shots like this and your antelope etc. Thinking I would like to set up a rifle for up to 1000 and shoot some steel build some skills at extended distance for just the fun of LR shooting. Magnum Man

The optic is the 4.5-14 that Leupold builds for Greybull.

Originally Posted by 805
Nrut I apologize. I didn't detect that.

John your welcome. Again thanks for all the help on the stock. Just loaded some 105vld to test in my 243ai. What powder were you using?

Retumbo

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
John, how much time did the gal put in behind the rifle prior to taking her out hunting?

I think she dry fired it 3 or 4 time before we went out and another half dozen dry fires on the elk.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
MontanaMarine:

As I noted, Nosler #4 doesn't show that speed for a 105 gr. 243 bullet (I quoted the 100 grain Partition from Nosler) ....but if Berger says it is going that fast its news to me....2140 FPS for the Berger is what a 100 gr. Partition is doing at 400 yards.

The Berger bullet is moving nearly twice as far [allegedly] i.e. to 700 compared to the Partition speed at 400 yards...hmmm interesting physics.

Has anyone shot the Berger through a chronograph at 700 yards @ 5000 feet elev.to prove that? I mean, besides John Burns' crew...

Get a ballistic app on your brick phone..if you can...might help you in the learnin of ballistics...just guessin

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

Page 8 of 21 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,699
Posts18,513,732
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.