Campfire Member
Campfire Member
+1

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
688 yards is a stunt- not hunting. Has anyone ever hit a deer or elk that showed no sign of being hit? Would he hike near a half mile to check. ever try to hit an animal after it begins running 'raggedly' with a busted leg? What if you break the jaw and it starves to death?
IMO that shot is irrsponsible. Game animals are to valued and not 'sniped' to prove you can.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Not that my opinion counts for anything here, but I am not a fan of the newest trend in buying a shooting "system" of rifle, scope, loads, etc. Not that I don't think they are fantastic tools, I just feel they inspire a level of confidence that someone with little to no trigger time behind said rifle should have. I know a few people who can afford these "systems" and have purchased them, checked zero at 100 yds and proceeded to look for an animal to shoot at 500+ yds having never shot at a live animal past 125 yds previously. I feel that the shot in this video is absolutely ethical even if the energy of 243 is questionable at that range. It is ethical because the shot was coached by someone with vast knowledge of the equipment and conditions, who has years of experience making those kinds of shots. There is absolutely no equipment on earth that can make up for a lack of trigger time.

To clarify, I primarily bowhunt and it requires careful attention to scent control, sound, wind, etc. Most of my archery kills happen inside 25 yds. I have passed on animals that I could have easily taken with a rifle at 200 yds. That's just part of the game. That being said, I have no problem with someone who takes the time to learn his equipment and the capabilities of his cartridge of choice taking game at 500+, but ONLY if he has put in the trigger time needed to cleanly take game at those yardages. You cannot buy equipment that by itself will make you capable of this. I hunt over some fields where 600-700 yard shots are possible. My personal limit with my equipment is 300-400 at this time and I hope to extend those ranges this offseason.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I think Barns [sic] is a hell of a shooter and has done a lot for LRH, but after finding out you didn't even put her on gongs for a few hours with the gun is kinda foolish. You put her behind the gun for one reason, to prove to the masses that a GB precision rig can kill stuff in the hands of a rookie.

Bingo - We have a winner!

It's one thing to take the guys out for the first time and show them how to hit rocks at long range. Too bad John didn't do that first with the young lady. Methinks he jumped the gun for the sake of self-promotion.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
This place is kinda like a couch for some of ya, isn't it?.. crazy crazy

laugh

seriously..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some just hate the fact they can't do what others can and must bitch and whine like infants.

Just another day at the fire.

Why the hell they think they can make the rules on what others with skill choose to hunt with is beyond me?

A little libtardism seeping out again...

"I know what is best for you.."

whistle

JM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
blah blah blah. I know my rifles inside and out too, and still don't consider my 243 an ethical 700yd elk gun.

I don't either, in just anyone's hands. You know your limits.

Congratulations.

JM

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
blah blah blah. I know my rifles inside and out too, and still don't consider my 243 an ethical 700yd elk gun.

I would not use your .243 Win either. I guess we agree on that point. cool

Originally Posted by John_G
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I think Barns [sic] is a hell of a shooter and has done a lot for LRH, but after finding out you didn't even put her on gongs for a few hours with the gun is kinda foolish. You put her behind the gun for one reason, to prove to the masses that a GB precision rig can kill stuff in the hands of a rookie.

Bingo - We have a winner!

It's one thing to take the guys out for the first time and show them how to hit rocks at long range. Too bad John didn't do that first with the young lady. Methinks he jumped the gun for the sake of self-promotion.

What is actually the funniest is the thought that I made the decision to shoot or not shoot.

Of the three of us on the hill I can promise you I was the most hesitant about the shot. She was absolutely sure she could make the shot if the wind hold was right and the elevation worked as she had been told.

The one thing I was absolutely sure of was the gun would hit under the crosshair and the .243 Win/105 VLD would cleanly kill that elk if the bullet landed in the vital zone.

Who am I to tell a grown up to shoot or not shoot at her first elk. She understood the consequences of a bad shot and was way more prepared to deal with a problem than most of the other hunters I have seen shoot their first elk.

I think we keep getting back to fragile egos and �Girls� should not shoot elk. cry

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Can't blame you, it didn't cost $6000 and yet it shoots like this...105 Scenars. Your guns are just like soccer moms buying Jeep Rubicons. Little do they know you couldn't actually take it to the Rubicon trail, but they look good parked at the mall.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Want to sell it? wink

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why didn't you just lob some lead at them from 700yds instead?

All were killed in September, when centerfire rifles aren't legal.

If I'd been hunting in a rifle season, with a valid tag, and saw 'em at 700, I would not have taken the shot. But only because I'm not confident I could make a 700-yard shot in the field, yet. If/when I get to the point that I'm confident, I wouldn't hesitate.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dogcatcher- Thats a great 100 yard group. How well does it shoot at 500?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I know I had a 400yd target at home. See if I can find it. Unfortunately, I do not believe a 243 is a 500yd elk gun, let alone a 700yd elk gun. But what do I know, unlike most that have posted on this topic, I have killed elk.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Want to sell it? wink

It already has a $600 scope on it, but still wears a factory stock. I will install a $200 B&C stock on it, if you are willing to pay me $6000 for it. whistle

PS, it does have a Timney trigger. grin

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Can't blame you, it didn't cost $6000 and yet it shoots like this...105 Scenars. Your guns are just like soccer moms buying Jeep Rubicons. Little do they know you couldn't actually take it to the Rubicon trail, but they look good parked at the mall.

[Linked Image]

So I post a video of a 688yd DRT and you post a picture of a 100yd group and want to use a soccer mom/ Jeep Rubicon analogy?? You do realize which side of that you and your 100yd group are on? laugh laugh

Seriously??

You missed the dot 3 times, but I suppose the fact that you missed it in the same place makes you happy. blush

You use of �soccer mom� as a derogatory also proves my �Fragile Ego� and �Girls can�t shoot elk� theory. cool

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I think she dry fired it 3 or 4 time before we went out and another half dozen dry fires on the elk.

Beautiful shot. Everyone should know their own limitations.

Some here would prefer that Clint Eastwood have said "everyone should know my limitations and I would not have been able to do that so I don't think you should have done it either."

Question is- during the stalk was the rifle chamber hot or cold?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They said they had 2 AD's during the stalk., so I will assume they were hot.

The 2nd killed the elk. wink

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I know I had a 400yd target at home. See if I can find it. Unfortunately, I do not believe a 243 is a 500yd elk gun, let alone a 700yd elk gun. But what do I know, unlike most that have posted on this topic, I have killed elk.

Maybe you can come up with rule book on max distance for a given caliber someone should be allowed to shoot an Elk. Could be handy for discussions such as these.

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by TBaker5390

Maybe you can come up with rule book on max distance for a given caliber someone should be allowed to shoot an Elk. Could be handy for discussions such as these.

How many elk have you killed?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

You missed the dot 3 times, but I suppose the fact that you missed it in the same place makes you happy. blush

That is called load development, hitting the dot is not priority, testing for group size, speed and pressure are what matters. I had to do it myself, my gun wasn't $6000 so it didn't come with load data! bwahahahahahaaa

Page 12 of 21 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (1lesfox, 257 mag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 32 invisible), 1,979 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,451
Posts18,528,894
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.