Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 21 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 20 21
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by Berettasdad
.....I get kind of tired of people reading the ammunition box and figuring that is the velocity/drop they are going to actually see.

You think that's bad, most times I get my ammo out of a Ziploc baggie!!! I'm REALLY at a disadvantage.

I have a sneaking suspicion the ammo you get out of your Ziploc bag ain�t much of a disadvantage and the last time you looked at the drop data on a box of ammo it was simply for the entertainment value. grin

Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
Originally Posted by SLM
Well said.

+1 ....love the goggler line too...gotta remember that one.

Laffin, JB and JM came up with that.

JM is going to be mad that the Wyoming spelling is taking over. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I couldn't help it...lol

I haven't bought ammo in decades, other than 22 rimfire.

I didn't even know they put drop data on the boxes nowadays.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been out having a beer with some hunting buddies.

I'm really sorry I missed Berettadad make a fool of himself with that post.

Can only hope he has more nuggets of wisdom to share.

laugh

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Enrique:

Well said, I am glad she killed her first elk, too. And I am glad she is happy about that elk. I want her to kill the next one she shoots at, and the one after that. And finds them, and eats them.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BuckeyeSpecial
Enrique:

Well said, I am glad she killed her first elk, too. And I am glad she is happy about that elk. I want her to kill the next one she shoots at, and the one after that. And finds them, and eats them.

Couldn't resist another "cheap shot BS post could you

The dumbfucktitude is astounding to say the very least

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Congrats on the elk, loved the vid too..Its a great feeling when they fold up like that.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I always say- better to be lucky than good. By the way JM- what is the retained energy of a .243 slug at 700 yards? Is that VLD an actual hunting type bullet? Just becasue you can does not mena you should. You can kill an elk with a .22LR- does not mean you should. LRH should read LRS- Long Range Shooting. It aint hunting, and I maintain it is irresponsible. I get kind of tired of people reading the ammunition box and figuring that is the velocity/drop they are going to actually see. I also get kind of tired of hunters claiming their 12+ pound rifle is a 'hunting' rifle. Of course if your ATV or pick up or a gunbearer carries it what matter.

In other words:

"I'm too damn lazy, lack the means/faculties to connect the dots of this LR shooting stuff..Therefore no one has any business doing it"

And everyone knows that booger bullets have "hunting" written on them orange boxes :-)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How freaking cold was it? Looked freezing!

That was an awesome shot. Congrats to the beautiful girl. I'm sure she will enjoy eating that one, it looked like the tastiest one in the herd. grin

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I always say- better to be lucky than good. By the way JM- what is the retained energy of a .243 slug at 700 yards? Is that VLD an actual hunting type bullet? Just becasue you can does not mena you should. You can kill an elk with a .22LR- does not mean you should. LRH should read LRS- Long Range Shooting. It aint hunting, and I maintain it is irresponsible. I get kind of tired of people reading the ammunition box and figuring that is the velocity/drop they are going to actually see. I also get kind of tired of hunters claiming their 12+ pound rifle is a 'hunting' rifle. Of course if your ATV or pick up or a gunbearer carries it what matter.

A fundamental human failing,is the inability of (some folks) to recognize what is staring them squarely in the face (Reality),if it runs counter to what they have experienced or know....the Flat Earth or Luddite mentality comes to mind....

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/09/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You sure are wordy Bob grin

Was this hunt in 100 John? I know it could be any number of places in WY, just curious.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rosco....that any better? grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is precisely why I consider myself a "Neo-Luddite". laugh

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I shot several deer at under 100 yds with a 30-06. some ran 50 or so yards with their heart/lungs blown to jello. It is all in the situation. the young lady did an excellant job the position of the animal has a lot to do with the end result. the Elk had been hunted hard so that was probably the first chanch for a shot with the animal in a good position. had she tried to get closer tha angle of the shot would of been possobly differant causing a wound instead of a clean kill. she did great and deserves credit.. all the nasayers go practice until you are as good as her. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Who am I to tell a grown up to shoot or not shoot at her first elk. She understood the consequences of a bad shot and was way more prepared to deal with a problem than most of the other hunters I have seen shoot their first elk.

Well, again, congratulations to the "girl" and to you JB for getting her on her first elk.

But I've gotta say, if it was me there shooting your rifle, with you calling the wind & elevation and you told me you thought the shot was questionable, I would have to trust your judgment and I wouldn't take the shot.

Being prepared to deal with the consequences of a bad shot is a good thing, but would not excuse me from taking a questionable shot.

And that's just one man's opinion, I understand.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just get bothered by people who think they are perfect and can't just be happy for a person having success.

Absolutely Spot On.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
.....I get kind of tired of people reading the ammunition box and figuring that is the velocity/drop they are going to actually see.

You think that's bad, most times I get my ammo out of a Ziploc baggie!!! I'm REALLY at a disadvantage.

I have a sneaking suspicion the ammo you get out of your Ziploc bag ain�t much of a disadvantage and the last time you looked at the drop data on a box of ammo it was simply for the entertainment value. grin

Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
Originally Posted by SLM
Well said.

+1 ....love the goggler line too...gotta remember that one.

Laffin, JB and JM came up with that.

JM is going to be mad that the Wyoming spelling is taking over. laugh

Well it did happen in Wyoming. Dam women, I have never killed anything close to that far and she got a googler/goggler shot before me. laugh

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
still more azz kissing. anyone else pulled this stunt they would be bludgened to death with electronic hate for 60-70 pages.... the op is obviously a pompous azz after reading his replies. another person who thinks they only have the skill, money to pull this off................not

to the girl congrats you got lucky this time, squeezing the trigger after the scope was dialed in for you and after two failed " set-ups" to which you may have missed or wounded elk........we will never know. really makes you the elk guru, perhaps you can start your own t.v. show.

this was a stunt pure and simple and a very risky one. you will never find a piece of literature anywhere that promotes a .243 as a 700 yard elk cartridge. this elk was either brained or spined. ala luck shot. i have lots of elk under my belt and have been on many kills. and BFD about the vld slug. people talk like it is something it is not. it is copper and lead just as a speer spitzer, it has no detonating quality, carries no poison ect. has a high bc. thats it.....

our big game herds deserve better than being used for target practice, and to prove an egotistical point. end of story.

i am not saying no one should do it, many guys are superb long range shots. if people feel impowered for it cool. but when you brag, and try and glorify it don't be surprised when some people don't jump out of their chairs and clap their hands and holler for you and want you to sign there rifles.some enjoy hunting

a redneck who was swilling keystone light all day in a bed of truck and spotted the elk at the same distance and held out his trusty .30-.30 and aimed 10 elk high and shot could have done the same thing. as i said before anyone can squeeze a trigger.and anyone can get lucky. don't think you are carlos hathcock of the hunting world.

congrats to the girl for shooting her first elk. maybe she will get to hunt someday.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
want some cheese?

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
One of you guys that knows everything�

How many big game animals are wounded/lost inside 50 yards by bows each year?

Now how many are wounded/lost by rifles over 600 yards each year?

My guess is if you really want to "help" big game, turn your efforts to stop bow hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bluegillman
the op is obviously a pompous azz after reading his replies.

Obviously. laugh

Originally Posted by bluegillman
congrats to the girl for shooting her first elk.

Nice of you to say. smile

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 14 of 21 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,475
Posts18,529,535
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.