Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 21 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 20 21
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bluegillman
still more azz kissing. anyone else pulled this stunt they would be bludgened to death with electronic hate for 60-70 pages.... the op is obviously a pompous azz after reading his replies. another person who thinks they only have the skill, money to pull this off................not

to the girl congrats you got lucky this time, squeezing the trigger after the scope was dialed in for you and after two failed " set-ups" to which you may have missed or wounded elk........we will never know. really makes you the elk guru, perhaps you can start your own t.v. show.

this was a stunt pure and simple and a very risky one. you will never find a piece of literature anywhere that promotes a .243 as a 700 yard elk cartridge. this elk was either brained or spined. ala luck shot. i have lots of elk under my belt and have been on many kills. and BFD about the vld slug. people talk like it is something it is not. it is copper and lead just as a speer spitzer, it has no detonating quality, carries no poison ect. has a high bc. thats it.....

our big game herds deserve better than being used for target practice, and to prove an egotistical point. end of story.

i am not saying no one should do it, many guys are superb long range shots. if people feel impowered for it cool. but when you brag, and try and glorify it don't be surprised when some people don't jump out of their chairs and clap their hands and holler for you and want you to sign there rifles.some enjoy hunting

a redneck who was swilling keystone light all day in a bed of truck and spotted the elk at the same distance and held out his trusty .30-.30 and aimed 10 elk high and shot could have done the same thing. as i said before anyone can squeeze a trigger.and anyone can get lucky. don't think you are carlos hathcock of the hunting world.

congrats to the girl for shooting her first elk. maybe she will get to hunt someday.

Amen to that. Thanks for your excellent response.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was curious as to why the length of this post. Ok,,,, got it.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bluegillman
......after two failed " set-ups" to which you may have missed or wounded elk........we will never know......

Yes, we will know, by reading the post where it says this was the first chance for a shot.....

"Pompous-ness" mut be contagious. Or would that be more like "arrogance-ness?" That is, to bust somebone's chops for maybe wounding an elk or missing a shot when you don't even take the time to read what the man wrote?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by TBaker5390
want some cheese?

Please post up a pic of any elk you have killed.

Funny, in reading Enrique's thread, almost everyone agreed the 243 was marginal for elk, but ok if kept within 300yds or so.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5103600/1

And then you read this thread and everyone is offering Burns a backrub, and discounting those of us with actual elk hunting experience.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
want some cheese?

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No one is discounting anyone's experience.

Just discounting the manure that some insist on spewing regarding what others can and cannot hunt with.

If a man is skilled enough to kill elk at 600 yds with a .243, more power to him.

Why does this bother you so much?

My only problem with those whining about this is their belief that they have a divine right to determine what others use to hunt game with.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
want some cheese?

hahahaa, have you ever killed anything at all? Please continue to cite examples of your vast experience.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I will freely admit to being a noob at elk. I have killed quite a few critters though just this year I took a
Buck Antelope @ 361yds
Doe Whitetail @ 412yds
Buck Whitetail @ 214yds (wanted to get him @ 440yds but didn't have a shot I felt comfortable with, so had to get closer, then he decided to get closer.)

I am sure you you are more experienced than me.

That is why I asked you to write a rule book on what others can and cannot do, because I used to would never shoot a deer over 250ish cause someone told me that was the limit. Turns out they were wrong...but I am sure you will be right on what is the limit according to you.

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dog,you voiced your opinion on this matter repeatedly,

You do come across as being the omnipotent one.

Take a break,Go for a walk or something........

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

That is why I asked you to write a rule book on what others can and cannot do, because I used to would never shoot a deer over 250ish cause someone told me that was the limit. Turns out they were wrong...but I am sure you will be right on what is the limit according to you.

Maybe the Campfire should set up a committee (self appointed of course) that could rule on whether a elk should be shot at a specific range. Or better yet a hotline that a person in the field could call and get a ruling.

So when I shot an antelope at 620 with a BMG does that count as hunting? Can I get a ruling judges?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think I would question any of the guys on here who's abilities are a known value. I would only question a shot like this if it was made by somebody who may or may not have the appropriate confidence and ability to make the shot successfully with a reasonable degree of consistency. JB has proven his shooting abilities to be more than adequate for a shot like this. Any he was the one who made it happen. The girl made a nice shot, but she was simply the trigger squeezer. As long as she can hold the rifle steady enough and squeeze the trigger properly, her abilities are sufficient. It was JB that had to figure distance, drop, windage, etc, which we all know that he can do as well as the best of them. Having said that, sometimes crap happens, whether long range, or close. If a hunter has never wounded an animal, then he hasn't shot too many animals. It's a risk we take as soon as we decide to fire a bullet at a distant animal, and the risk varies with our shooting experience and confidence, regardless of distance.

As long as a bullet has enough velocity to expand, and enough momentum to reach the vitals, I'm happy. This applies to all my game shooting, regardless of species. Apparently the .243 with 105gr VLD met both of these criteria in this case, even though it was beyond the 300-yard, prescribed limitation that lots of guys put on the .243. Works for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Dog,you voiced your opinion on this matter repeatedly,

You do come across as being the omnipotent one.

Take a break,Go for a walk or something........

and get some cheese while yer out.......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow, what an unbelievable thread that started with a hunting video.
It appears that many members here are extremely ethical, they must never drive over the speed limit either.
It amazes me every day how people have business to other's business, but hate it when their own business is interfered with. John, guide another person please to get them hooked up on hunting.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've read this thread, and I usually stay out of pizzin' matches. I can't help myself on this one.

I can't believe anyone would have anything negative to say. The girl made a very quick clean kill on a big game animal. Can't show much more respect than that. John did a great job gettin' it to happen.

I know success is often the fertilizer that grows passion. The girl may end up being an avid huter, getting many more young people into the sport. Maybe a long range competition champion. All because of this positive experience. As a father of three I can appreciate what just happened.

I don't begrudge anyone their own opinions, some things are black and white. This may be one to you, not me.

At the end of the day - I know I have been wrong enough times to know I am not always right! So I try to look at all sides as objectively as I can.

SC

"You only know one thing for sure about a broken down old man........He's the survivor...."

Incoming rounds have the right of way.....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I believe far more "hunters" butcher short shots than long shots. How many long range shooters have you ever seen shoot another hunter?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I don't think I would question any of the guys on here who's abilities are a known value. I would only question a shot like this if it was made by somebody who may or may not have the appropriate confidence and ability to make the shot successfully with a reasonable degree of consistency.

The fact is that the shot WAS made by someone with UNKNOWN abilities and UNKNOWN consistency, so start questioning!

Have you not been following this thread? jb did no other work with her than to have her dry fire the rifle. No shooting even at 100 yards on paper to see what her ability may be as compared to what he could do with his rifle. He had no idea if she could even hold the rifle steady which could be seen by shooting a simple group on a piece of paper at 100 yards.

Her ability was unknown to everyone in that video including the camera man, jb and the girl!

What I'd like to know is how many here would put their "friend" in the same situation that jb did here?

I have a lot of friends who have similar experience in the field and in life as this girl. No way would I ever put them, me, and a big game animal in this situation with their total inexperience with long range shooting.

I think it's quite a risk, but if you don't give a [bleep] about your friend or the animal, have at it I guess!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What I'd like to know is how many here would put their "friend" in the same situation that jb did here?

I would not hesitate to. Hell John I'll volunteer to be the next" Friend" behind the rifle. Maybe only at 687 though!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I don't think I would question any of the guys on here who's abilities are a known value. I would only question a shot like this if it was made by somebody who may or may not have the appropriate confidence and ability to make the shot successfully with a reasonable degree of consistency.

The fact is that the shot WAS made by someone with UNKNOWN abilities and UNKNOWN consistency, so start questioning!

Have you not been following this thread? jb did no other work with her than to have her dry fire the rifle. No shooting even at 100 yards on paper to see what her ability may be as compared to what he could do with his rifle. He had no idea if she could even hold the rifle steady which could be seen by shooting a simple group on a piece of paper at 100 yards.

Her ability was unknown to everyone in that video including the camera man, jb and the girl!

I have a lot of friends who have similar experience in the field and in life as this girl. No way would I ever put them, me, and a big game animal in this situation with their total inexperience with long range shooting.

I think it's quite a risk, but if you don't give a [bleep] about your friend or the animal, have at it I guess!

Let me repeat the rest of my post for you, since you apparently stopped reading.

"JB has proven his shooting abilities to be more than adequate for a shot like this. Any he was the one who made it happen. The girl made a nice shot, but she was simply the trigger squeezer. As long as she can hold the rifle steady enough and squeeze the trigger properly, her abilities are sufficient. It was JB that had to figure distance, drop, windage, etc, which we all know that he can do as well as the best of them."

Each individual shooter knows when they look at the animal through the scope whether they are able to hold the rifle steady enough to hit vitals, or not. The girl chose to shoot because she must have felt that the crosshairs were hovering over the vitals, rather than waving all over the place. She knew that she was holding steady enough. The rest of the factors involved in the shot were taken care of by John.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some people really need to get laid.

Me

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by teal
Some people really need to get laid.

Most of them would have to get real close...they don't have the equipment to poke her from a ways back.

Page 15 of 21 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,801
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.