Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by reelman
Redneck, isn't it great that we can carry now?
It IS!! smile

One thing I've found in my very limited CCW experiance is that the double clips secure the holster much better and keep it from shifting. The single clips are easier to take on and off but the gun shifts quite a bit.
If the clip's moving/shifting, you should examine the size of the opening and ensure your belt fills it.. These belts from Rosen are 1.5" wide and trust me - nothin' moves on these things..

I've been wearing the new belt over the last few days - working to get it conformed better and it sure seems to be gettin' bigger.

Oh, and I already have been getting pants that are 2" wider than I am; in anticipation of the new law..

Now, if I could just lose about 15# OVER the dang belt...........

laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by deflave
This is another blanket statement I don't get. I use a Kydex all the time and I love it. Travis

+1

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by reelman
Redneck, isn't it great that we can carry now? I got my permit a couple weeks ago and after carrying my P7 in a cheaper leather single clip IWB holster I bought a S&W 3" 1911 and got a Galco holster for it. I'm not sure of the model number of the holster but it's the double clip that looks like a CrossBreed. I LOVE THIS HOLSTER! Very comfortable and if conforms to my body real nice, and I'm a BIG guy.

One thing I've found in my very limited CCW experiance is that the double clips secure the holster much better and keep it from shifting. The single clips are easier to take on and off but the gun shifts quite a bit.

I think it's a "King Tuk" or Tuck or something like that. I've been looking at those..

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
The last couple from Rosen's is from their 'Express' selections - and run anywhere from $65-95..

Straight up the best deal going for a truly world class IWB holster. With the cost and wait time for the Sparks VM II, I�d rather have the ARG Express Line holster for around $30.00 less, and no waiting for 6 months. I have the Sparks VM II and a custom built holster that�s very similar; but I don�t have an ARG Express line holster; wish I did.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

A carry gun isn't supposed to be comfortable, but comforting.

If it isn't comfortable you will leave it at home more often than you will carry it. You have to have both if you carry 24-7.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

If the clip's moving/shifting, you should examine the size of the opening and ensure your belt fills it.. These belts from Rosen are 1.5" wide and trust me - nothin' moves on these things..
The tuckable clips I have used do not go on the bely but stay on the pants under the belt for better concealment. With the VM II and the optional clips my carry is completely invisible if my shirt is bloused just a little bit.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bea175

If it isn't comfortable you will leave it at home more often than you will carry it. You have to have both if you carry 24-7.
I gave up the 24/7 carry.. The wife got nervous with a naked husband clad in belt and holstered firearm in bed.. It kept snagging on the sheets..

laugh laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I subscribe to VA's method.

Pants on, gun on. Pants off, gun in reach.

grin

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Scott F

grin
Ditto.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice feeling isn't it. I am glad you guys get to know just how good it feels.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Makes sure to use a sturdy belt to hold the weight of the firearm. Their are specialty belts out there that are rigid enough to allow a proper draw and to "hold" the firearm while carrying. Usually most like between 330-4 o clock position.

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep - no question..

Here's where I've ordered the last two:

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/product_line.html

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
XL5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bea175

I gave up the 24/7 carry.. The wife got nervous with a naked husband clad in belt and holstered firearm in bed.. It kept snagging on the sheets..

laugh laugh laugh

That's why I had my beddy-bye carry dehorned. whistle

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Scott F

grin

This is my pistol..THIS is my GUN!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I just came back from elk hunting and saw this thread.

I will throw out a few thoughts/points in no particular order and aimed at no particular person, though I often tend to ruffle a few feathers...

These are MY observations and experiences in carrying handguns in climates and conditions that have run from one end of the scale to the other.

As the saying goes " the mission dictates the gear".

When it comes to IWB I carry just behind the hip bone, with a sturdy belt. Holsters are Sparks. Example:

[Linked Image]

Pictured is a G19 with an IWB rig, though normally I run an OWB Sparks 55BN:

[Linked Image]

1911s,

I pretty much always run a EX Companion. I find the 5" gun and IWB work very well together. In fact the longer barrels work better for me than the shorter ones.

The steep cant of the ARG that the OP was talking about would not work at all for me. The cant that Sparks uses does. To each their own. We all have to find our own way:

[Linked Image]

Sticking a handgun in my pants without a holster as a regular form of carry is not something you will catch me doing. I still roll with bad guys often enough that losing control of a gun is a no-go.

Even if I was not in a career field where I actively look for trouble, I would not do so. You only have to get into one scrape and lose control of your gun once.

Anyone can get knocked on their ass. Anyone can slip on ice. Anyone can.....you get the picture.

In regards to copying holster designs. I agree that Sparks has been blatantly ripped off. At least Milt went and asked permission to copy a design, hence the name of the 55 BN (Bruce Nelson).

Someone mentioned the Serpa as being revolutionay. It is not. Mike Lowe, retired Boise Police, designed the holster, with one exception. His had a sort of shoe that you slid your trigger finger in to activate the "serpa" button.

I had a T&E sample years ago that was a police duty holster.

Blackhawk simply removed the cover and marketed it as the serpa. I have no idea if Lowe ever got a penny.

Someone spoke of taking a review with a grain of salt in regards to how great a holster is. I think that is sage advise.

18 hours a day for years versus casual ccw to meet the boys for coffee and show them what you are carrying (show and tell)are two different animals.

Sturdy belts are pretty much required no matter what you choose. I would not skimp on that one. Spend the money and buy a good one. 20 years later it will still be in servicable condition, just like a quality holster.

example, a 20 year old EX for a Colt Officer's ACP:

[Linked Image]

Cheers!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I will throw out a few thoughts/points in no particular order and aimed at no particular person, though I often tend to ruffle a few feathers...
Go for it..

Absolutely..

When it comes to IWB I carry just behind the hip bone, with a sturdy belt.
That's what I'm workin' on..

1911s,

I pretty much always run a EX Companion. I find the 5" gun and IWB work very well together. In fact the longer barrels work better for me than the shorter ones.
I hear that a lot - but hard to believe; ONLY because I don't have anything longer than 3" (for a carry item) so I have no hands-on experience in that - it's just the mental pic that seems to run contrary to comfort..

The steep cant of the ARG that the OP was talking about would not work at all for me. The cant that Sparks uses does. To each their own.
Is it because the ARG is meant for short-barreled handguns and you may have more items with longer barrels? The ones you picture seem to favor guns with longer barrels..
We all have to find our own way:
Yep..

18 hours a day for years versus casual ccw to meet the boys for coffee and show them what you are carrying (show and tell)are two different animals.
Anyone who's smart does not participate in S&T..

Sturdy belts are pretty much required no matter what you choose. I would not skimp on that one. Spend the money and buy a good one. 20 years later it will still be in servicable condition, just like a quality holster.
Unless I add another batch of pounds, these will last a lot longer than I will.. I can pass 'em down to my son - and maybe HIS son some day..

Cheers!
Thank you so much for the very informed and honest reply.. Best wishes sir.. smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I just came back from elk hunting and saw this thread.

These are MY observations and experiences in carrying handguns in climates and conditions that have run from one end of the scale to the other.

When it comes to IWB I carry just behind the hip bone, with a sturdy belt. Holsters are Sparks. Example:

[Linked Image]

Pictured is a G19 with an IWB rig, though normally I run an OWB Sparks 55BN:

[Linked Image]

1911s,

The steep cant of the ARG that the OP was talking about would not work at all for me. The cant that Sparks uses does. To each their own. We all have to find our own way:

[Linked Image]

Sticking a handgun in my pants without a holster as a regular form of carry is not something you will catch me doing. I still roll with bad guys often enough that losing control of a gun is a no-go.

Even if I was not in a career field where I actively look for trouble, I would not do so. You only have to get into one scrape and lose control of your gun once.

Anyone can get knocked on their ass. Anyone can slip on ice. Anyone can.....you get the picture.

In regards to copying holster designs. I agree that Sparks has been blatantly ripped off. At least Milt went and asked permission to copy a design, hence the name of the 55 BN (Bruce Nelson).

Someone mentioned the Serpa as being revolutionay. It is not. Mike Lowe, retired Boise Police, designed the holster, with one exception. His had a sort of shoe that you slid your trigger finger in to activate the "serpa" button.

I had a T&E sample years ago that was a police duty holster.

Blackhawk simply removed the cover and marketed it as the serpa. I have no idea if Lowe ever got a penny.

Someone spoke of taking a review with a grain of salt in regards to how great a holster is. I think that is sage advise.

example, a 20 year old EX for a Colt Officer's ACP:

[Linked Image]

Cheers!

How has Milt Sparks been blantantly ripped off? You can change the cant, raise or lower the gun position, add some leather here and there, but it's still an IWB holster, nothing new. As far as the Serpa, I was referring to the carbon fiber construction more than the Serpa lock. All I'm saying is that all holster makers have copied somebody's design in one form or another. I mean you have IWB and OWB (the way most people carry) Different cant, different way to hook it to your belt, add a leather tab to protect your hide, to me does not equate to a brand new design, just a new spin to an older design. This is no big deal to me as I own quite a few holsters by different makers, naturally some are better than others.

Last edited by jstall; 12/13/11.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I found your comments well worth reading as always Mackay.
Before reading them, I had already decided to buy a Milt Sparks IWB holster, belt and magazine pouch if I go CCW.
It's been a very long time since I carried CCW. Back then, we didn't have the quality, tight fitting holsters that are availiable today. IWB holsters, for instance, were just simple folded over leather things with a belt clip. All they did was keep one's clothing from interfering with the draw and keep body moisture away from the gun. The gun was easier to draw, but also alot easier to loose.
I quite agree that loosing one's gun is something that must avoided at all costs. Even more important than keeping the gun out of sight. If anything can do this right, I suspect a quality holster made right and based on years of experience is the way to go. I don't know about you, but I've spent a small fortune on holsters and belts. Some of which didn't work nearly as well as they needed to work.
I've had very good experiences carrying concealed inside the waistband w/o a holster. But there are some big exceptions. I've never seen or had any revolver workout well that way. The flat, 4-5 inch barreled larger autos are about the only guns that did. Again, a quality belt is a must.
One's method of carry is another point. Far and away the best I've used is what's known as the Calvary Carry. The gun rides over the strong side hip, butt to front, but canted to the rear. With a good, snug belt, she stays put. So well, in fact, that it's noticably slower to draw. The user must also be careful to point the gun away from his body when he draws it with his reversed hand.
Anyway, thanks for the comments. Much appreciated. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 12/13/11.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Eremicus
... Far and away the best I've used is what's known as the Calvary Carry. The gun rides over the strong side hip, butt to front, but canted to the rear. With a good, snug belt,...

...so named because it's only marginally less painful than crucifixion??? laugh

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Blackhawk Serpa is an absolute abortion. The Safariland ALS is so far ahead of it in the ergonomic dept it ain't funny, not to mention the not shooting yourself in the leg dept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 1,786 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,104
Posts18,522,429
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.