Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 21 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 20 21
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm not interested in sharing my opinion on this...the animal died instantly and that is good by me...but people shouldn't get upset about all the negative comments. I can't imagine the OP didn't know he would be pouring gas on the fire by posting this.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some of the argument in this thread is created through misunderstanding, because people don't seem to read carefully enough.

Let me try to be perfectly clear:
� I have no qualms whatsoever about JB's skills or about the capability of his rifles - or the .243, for that matter.
� I've read many of John's posts - to me he sounds like a good guy, someone I'd hang around with.
� I'm not suffering from a case of sour grapes or jealousy.
� I congratulate the lady for her accomplishment and John for his products and expertise. Hell, I'd love it if I had the opportunity to be mentored by JB.
� My concern is over JB's slip in judgement in having the lady shoot at a live animal w/o first giving her any long range practice at inanimate targets. Even though I have shot and hunted for 45 years, I have never shot an animal past 300 yards, and If JB were coaching me, I would certainly want to practice first on targets at long range before tackling an elk. Also, I've taken a few newbies hunting with me over the years, but I have never done so without first taking them to the range to give them some practice and guidance. To me, this is just common sense, and I'll bet that JB usually follows that progression.
� I suspect that John's motivation in having the lady do this and subsequently posting it on the Campfire was governed more by a desire for self-promotion rather than sharing his pride in his neighbor's accomplishment ... but only JB would be able to know that with certainty.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

What I'd like to know is how many here would put their "friend" in the same situation that jb did here?

Gosh, I am afraid that the girl may be scarred for life by the responsibility that was carelessly thrown at her, but to make sure and report more than just a speculation, I am also willing to subject myself to the same kind of trauma if John needs another test subject. I, too, have no proven record of shooting that far.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
But neither does buckeyespecial. That don't mean JB would allow HIM the chance.....

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Her ability was unknown to everyone in that video including the camera man, jb and the girl!

What I'd like to know is how many here would put their "friend" in the same situation that jb did here?

Given the fact you are in idiot and someone with NO friends, none of that would apply to you. wink

John already stated he knew the girl and her abilities as a shooter and hunter.

Only a no talent puzzy like you would be "afraid" to take the shot in that exact situation.

You are just jealous because you've never made a game shot that long in your pathetic little life. Let alone record it on video.

Loser.

Last edited by jim62; 12/09/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Rosco....that any better? grin

Jeez Bob, I didnt say it wasnt a good post!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jim62

Given the fact you are in idiot and someone with NO friends, none of that would apply to you. wink

Only a no talent Pussy like you would be "afraid" to take the shot in that exact situation.

That girl has more guts and shooting talent than you or your imaginary "friends" will ever have.

You are just jealous because you've never made a game shot that long in your pathetic little life. Let alone record it on video.

Loser.

Thanks jim62! Pleased to meet you too! smile

BTW, you're first guy I've seen who's so proud of his IQ that he uses it as part of his handle! laugh

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I don't think I would question any of the guys on here who's abilities are a known value. I would only question a shot like this if it was made by somebody who may or may not have the appropriate confidence and ability to make the shot successfully with a reasonable degree of consistency.

The fact is that the shot WAS made by someone with UNKNOWN abilities and UNKNOWN consistency, so start questioning!

Have you not been following this thread? jb did no other work with her than to have her dry fire the rifle. No shooting even at 100 yards on paper to see what her ability may be as compared to what he could do with his rifle. He had no idea if she could even hold the rifle steady which could be seen by shooting a simple group on a piece of paper at 100 yards.

Her ability was unknown to everyone in that video including the camera man, jb and the girl!

I have a lot of friends who have similar experience in the field and in life as this girl. No way would I ever put them, me, and a big game animal in this situation with their total inexperience with long range shooting.

I think it's quite a risk, but if you don't give a [bleep] about your friend or the animal, have at it I guess!

The know it all and self appointed moral conscious of the world has spoken

I think maybe he's like some "whine" to go with the cheese

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After watching the video and meandering through the entire thread, I guess my only comment favors the guide: I would have taken her hunting too. dvnv

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Yes Archie and JM Bwana- MY refernce shows the .243 slug with .53 BC (Berger VLD) started at 3000 fps, having a retained velocity of about 1860, energy a little over 800 ft. lbs. Time of flight near 0.90 second. 82 inches more drop than a 300 yard zero. 35" drift in 10 mph full value cross wind. An animal walking 4 mph would move about 65" in that time. (Reference manual by Phillip Mannes. I didn't memorize it because I don't shoot at game that far and don't own a .243 Win.)
I have had occasion to chrono factory ammunition and reloads. Actual velocities did not match published nor predicted. BC's tend to cary with conditions and other factors. But then you are so very informed and wise that you know all that. It appears you would suggest that any novice reading the posts could do it with good equipment, and not actually shooting (a lot?) at the extended ranges you espouse as suitable?
Good to know to that only opinions of the folks that agree with you count and are not 'foolish'. My 'opinion' v. yours should be equally valid. But then again...

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by teal
Some people really need to get laid.

laugh

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Only a no talent Pussy like you would be "afraid" to take the shot in that exact situation.

That girl has more guts and shooting talent than you or your imaginary "friends" will ever have.

Loser.

Thanks jim62! Pleased to meet you too! smile

BTW, you're first guy I've seen who's so proud of his IQ that he uses it as part of his handle! laugh

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

More drivel from the dumphuck of the year.

'62 was the year I was born, which means I am old enough to have a low tolerance for small minded little cretins like yourself. wink

Slither back over to accuratereloading.com and start more arguments about using 22 centerfires for deer. wink

They tolerate your "special" brand of retardation over there.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No they don't he has managed to get the boot on AR not once but twice.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

No they don't he has managed to get the boot on AR not once but twice.

It figures.

He's an idiot.

To all gunmaker critics-
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I may have looked at this sort of thread a little differently a year or two ago, then I actually shot this rifle with the Campfire group last year.
This system works. Seeing isn't enough for some but shooting one of these rifles really let me know what can be done.

John, I thought we used up all the Magic in that rifle, guess it still shoots well enough! laugh
TBaker How's life in the hills this year?

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I suppose the next step in ethical long range hunting is to see the animal at a couple of thousand yards and then walk away for a couple of miles to make sure they are in range.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
I suppose the next step in ethical long range hunting is to see the animal at a couple of thousand yards and then walk away for a couple of miles to make sure they are in range.

Quite a leap of "logic" there..

And, pretty much total bullschit like all the rest of your posts on this thread.. wink

It must really piss you off that Burns provided video PROOF of a young being able to do something you'll never have the knowledge ,talent or equipment to pull off.

You are a said little puke..

To all gunmaker critics-
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd

Quite a leap of "logic" there..

And, pretty much total bullschit like all the rest of your posts on this thread.. wink

It must really piss you off that Burns provided video PROOF of a young being able to do something you'll never have the knowledge ,talent or equipment to pull off.

You are a said little puke..

Pricks and dumb ass are never in short supply

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PastorDan
I'm not interested in sharing my opinion on this...the animal died instantly and that is good by me...but people shouldn't get upset about all the negative comments. I can't imagine the OP didn't know he would be pouring gas on the fire by posting this.

I think it is pretty evident that the vast majority of posters in the thread have been basically positive in seeing someone cleanly kill their first big game animal.

I also concede that the circumstances were different than many hunters are used to and that has caused a few posters to question the situation. We all have our opinions and the reason why the 24hr Campfire is popular is the chance to share opinion and discuss hunting.

I am also sure that a few here have had their egos crunched from watching a �girl� handle a tough situation so well, better than they feel they would be able to perform in a similar situation.

To those sour pusses I have will just say too bad kids, she knocked that elks nose in the dirt at 688yds and I am proud to have been there and seen it. laugh laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just one more time

For those who say "Maybe she can try hunting next time"

What is your definition of hunting?

When you hear 'bout "hunting" accidents it is someone who fired into a moving brush from close up. I have yet to hear of a accidental shooting from over 250 yards away. LRH's study animals and know when to take the perfect shot.

Any idiot can shoot a deer from under 150 yards with a few rounds, but it takes skill (shooter or spotter) to take a clean kill from afar.

Page 16 of 21 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1Longbow, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,055
Posts18,482,315
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.