Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I'd simply point out that the fact that the scope held zero speaks well for it. E

Which is why I mentioned that. Love those Talley rings -- I suspect such drops aren't so uneventful when a bloke is using front dovetail and rear windage rings.

Originally Posted by rost495
Hunt it. Who cares about looks on a hunting gun? You hunt or show off? At least I"ve never taken time to touch up scratches on any weapon I own...

Your point is taken. No one else sees my guns, so I don't show them off, but it can't hurt to touch up the now-and-then ding that's inevitable for a hunting rifle. I sold all my rifles with nice wood because rifles are tools. You don't use nicely figured and finished wood for a hammer handle unless you're going to enclose it in glass for some reason and not use it.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
All rings do is hold the scope in place. Impacts like that can and do cause the scope's zero to shift while not moving in the rings. E

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
All rings do is hold the scope in place. Impacts like that can and do cause the scope's zero to shift while not moving in the rings. E

Even so, when I can I rely on the Talleys more than the set-ups with separate bases and the inverted conical windage screws. They'd make Rube Goldberg proud.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Who you dinging ? Conetrol or SK ? Either is rock solid, has windage on both bases as are actually good looking, unlike Talleys that look like a C clamp sitting on your rifle.

Being from PA, I doubt your rifles spend days in a saddle scabbard being bumped by trees, brush or having a horse take a slide down a snow covered screed hill.

Heck, steel Weavers are as solid as Talleys, no more ugly and a lot cheaper.
Finn used them on his M-70 375 H&H in Africa for decades !

Solid & good looking:

http://www.conetrol.com/

http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

Strong and ugly: (w/NO windage adjustment)

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by interthem
Who you dinging ? Conetrol or SK ?

Neither. It's these I'm not especially fond of:

[Linked Image]

I doubt they'll be as sturdy when taking the bumps and bruises a hunting gun takes.

When it comes to ugly, Talley's aren't so bad, but I won't argue with a person who says there are better looking mounts, because that person is right.

Steve.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
...... So here's the question: what would you do to hide the blemishes? The scope is a matte black finish.

Thanks.
Steve.

Drop it on the other side so it matches! laugh Seriously, I have some 30 year old Leupolds. Eventually they get some marks. No biggie. One time I asked Leupold if they could refinish a gloss scope to matte. They said - No, they don't refinish scopes. That may have changed, but I'd probably just live with it.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I suspect we are on the same page when it comes to bases and rings. You can't run fast enough to give me most mounts with a windage screw. That's because the vast majority of them don't grip the scope ring with much.
The exception are the very light mounts by Gentry. They have proven to be very tough and stable. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The mount you show is neither two piece nor has any conical screws on it.

Weatherby supplied Conetrols on his rifles (or Buehlers) for decades. If it can stand up to a 460 WM, I rather doubt a 7mm08 would take it apart !

The days of carrying your scope in a leather belt pouch because they were so fragile are long gone. Heck some scopes (Kahles, Nightforce, Schmidt and Bender) are even useful to pound in tent stakes.

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
character

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by interthem
The mount you show is neither two piece nor has any conical screws on it.

Here's what I said:
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Even so, when I can I rely on the Talleys more than the set-ups with separate bases and the inverted conical windage screws. They'd make Rube Goldberg proud.

So, I didn't say anything about a two-piece base. I said the rings are separate from the bases. Doesn't matter if it's a 1-piece base or a 2-piece base. The rear ring set-up is the same -- two screws with an inverted conical configuration under the screw heads. That's what grips the little lip cut in each side of the base.

As far as I'm concerned, these things are obsolete (though I still have them on one or two guns.)

Steve.

IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
For the dings, black Sharpie pen. As to mounts, I'd recommend strongly either Leupold Dual Dovetails or steel Talleys.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
character

Perfect answer...

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
character

Perfect answer...
Does your spotter, Karl, have any finish left? Last time I saw him he appeared quite the "character"! wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's like the Energizer Bunny.....good stuff will keep working even if it gets a beat around a little.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, my NULA .30-06 almost looks like it's been dragged behind a pickup on a gravel road, but just keeps shooting really well...

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, my NULA .30-06 almost looks like it's been dragged behind a pickup on a gravel road, but just keeps shooting really well...

Did you secure the turrets with duct tape................ grin

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
After this year, so does my Rem Ti, 30-06 - I win the prize for most dropped, kicked and stepped on in one season.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like it is time to Krylon the whole rig. Krylon hides alot of sins. It is easy to touch up when you toss it on the ground again. Aluma black if you dont like that idea. Either way Send it back to Luepold to have it checked over after the season. 15bucks shipping could be worth a ton.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
It's like the Energizer Bunny.....good stuff will keep working even if it gets a beat around a little.
I chuckle every time you post a pic of Karl. Sad, but I'm a bit jealous of him. wink He gets out way more than I do...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 12344mag, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,911
Posts18,479,524
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.