like the urge to procreate?....

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
jlboykin,

Yeah, VLD's can make a mess if they hit big bone, especially on smaller animals. The last animal I shot with the 140 6.5 was also a pronghorn at just over 160 yards, and I made sure to hit ribs behind the shoulder! Didn't lose more than a bite of meat.

Nice gembuck! They sure taste great too.

Thanks! I have a freezer full off steaks, sausage, summer sausage and jerky. The missile range was a fantastic hunt. I've been twice and it is always a lot of fun!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Forgot to ask, which 6.5 were you using?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
6.5-06 with a 26" barrel, about 2950 muzzle velocity.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
John,
How close to an animal have you loosed a VLD?
They obviously perform great at extended range, how about <100 yards?

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I can't answer for John Burns, but I've killed a number of animals at less than 100 yards with VLD's, and have seen several other people do it. The bullets ranged from 115-grain .25's to 185-grain .30's, with several others in between, and the shortest range was 18 yards.

Originally Posted by jlboykin
I'm not John or JB, but I've some experience with the vld at short range. Shot two antelope and an oryx in the past two months with 6.5 140 vld this year (3175 fps at the muzzle). Both antelope were under 100 yards and the oryx at 140 yards.

One of the antelope and the oryx performed perfectly. The other antelope was shot high in the shoulder, shooting slightly uphill. Ending up making a mess of him. I suspect that I hit the spine, which caused the mess. Made a quick follow up shot to put him kill him. He wasn't going anywhere, but I wasn't going to wait on him to bleed out.

Madmooner,

My results have also been very positive. While I am pretty lazy and inept, once in a while I am also really lucky and stumble into something at closer range. grin

I always figured your bullet had better work up close as a first priority. After you are sure you have good �normal� range performance then you can start to use long range performance as criteria in selecting your hunting bullet.

I would have no qualms shooting an elk right in the shoulder at 50yds with the .243 Win/105 VLD and have seen it work successfully in that exact situation.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
John, I appreciate the sense of humor you've shown throughout this discussion.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]

Holy Berger [bleep]! I guess a full body mount is outta the question. laugh

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
To those that have a problem with just dry firing and coaching, you have never taught/ coached shooting. I took my second "daughter" to the range this summer. She had fired one round out of a rifle in her life(24yo) and with 10 minutes of coaching and dry firing, she went 7 straight @ 595 yards, keeping her shots inside 1 1/2 MOA with the rifle below. The doe shot was 675 yards. Shots out to ~700 are really not that hard with the right set up.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Jim the Plumber; 12/11/11.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by slg888

Here is a more PC picture. I think I've found a new cape for him.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That is a very big pronghorn! I am guessing at least 16 inches.

IC B3

T
TMR Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Very nice John and congrats to the young lady!

The responses to this post are kinda funny. In teaching long range classes and training guys to shoot long range, I will say that its WAY easier to teach women. They don't think they know everything and actually listen. My fiance has never shot a gun before and is slightly intimidated by them. So I set her up behind my comp rifle, dialed the scope, called a wind hold for her, and she put 5 shots in under 3" at 878yds. John has put in enough time and knows exactly where his rifles shoot, as do the rest of us that shoot long range daily. I wouldn't hesitate to use my 243 Rogue with 115's on elk out to 700 if I had to, mainly because I know exactly what it does. At 5000 ASL, it still has 1335ft/lbs of energy at 700 yds. Not ideal, but would definitely get the job done.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Jim the Plumber
To those that have a problem with just dry firing and coaching, you have never taught/ coached shooting. I took my second "daughter" to the range this summer. She had fired one round out of a rifle in her life(24yo) and with 10 minutes of coaching and dry firing, she went 7 straight @ 595 yards, keeping her shots inside 1 1/2 MOA with the rifle below. The doe shot was 675 yards. Shots out to ~700 are really not that hard with the right set up.

Was there much wind on the range that range day with your daughter or when you shot the doe? Wyoming winds makes hitting things pretty hard for me. I agree that on dead calm days it is pretty much a matter of LRF, dial, and apply basic rifle marksmanship principals to a good setup like yours to hit. However, with MT blowing and CO sucking it is always windy in WY grin. Are you self-taught on reading wind or military trained?

K
KDF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by slg888
[Linked Image]

I've had similar experience with the 7mm 168gr VLD's:

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would say that is similar!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you know is a shot more ethical if its from a good rest, accurate rifle and good equipment, tested equipment, fired at 600+ yards or an off hand shot at 275 yards?? The more long range shooting I do I would rather take a good rest and the longer shot anyday.

thats really cool seeing what a 105 vld will do. that class of bullet really takes the 243 into a class of its own.

john, what kind of speeds are you pushing those to. my load from a 24" 243 ai is 3130 fps from h4831 sc. could go a bit faster but the pockets in the lapua brass loosen faster than I like beyond those speeds.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John when using the vld up close are you still aiming high shoulder? Just curious where you recommended.
P.s. will the greybull stock ever be available for any other actions? Love mine on my 7mm.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
wow!

"Wow" to the amazing long shot with a 243, and "wow" to the 40 pages of ...um... "discussion" that followed.

wow.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
you know is a shot more ethical if its from a good rest, accurate rifle and good equipment, tested equipment, fired at 600+ yards or an off hand shot at 275 yards?? The more long range shooting I do I would rather take a good rest and the longer shot anyday.

I would shorten up the 275 yard off hand crack by quite a bit, but in general,one is "science",and the other is "art". smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I would shorten up the 275 yard off hand crack by quite a bit, but in general,one is "science",and the other is "art". smile

I agree in general principle given the average shooter's offhand capabilities. I actually LOVE shooting offhand and am fairly good at it, but I also feel reading the wind for long shots has a degree of "art" to it as well.

A good wind meter will give you the windspeed and direction at the firing point ,but we all know it is never constant all the way out to the target. Lot's of things to judge and calculate.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Phasmid
Originally Posted by Jim the Plumber

Was there much wind on the range that range day with your daughter or when you shot the doe? Wyoming winds makes hitting things pretty hard for me. I agree that on dead calm days it is pretty much a matter of LRF, dial, and apply basic rifle marksmanship principals to a good setup like yours to hit. However, with MT blowing and CO sucking it is always windy in WY grin. Are you self-taught on reading wind or military trained?

One the doe shot, I was using 1/2mil right wind. For Shyla's shots, she dialed 1.5 mils left wind. Self taught. I shoot ~3000 rounds of center fire rifle a year. There is no substitute for trigger time. i shoot over 300 days a year, and prefer to shoot when the wind is blowing hard/unpredictably. It pays off.

Page 20 of 21 1 2 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 2ndwind, 6MMWASP, 14 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,806
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.