Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
DaveIRL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for the insight guys. I find the perspectives interesting. I figured the bullet construction had at least as much to do with it as anything. has anyone got photos of what damage will actually look like with properly placed shots, behind the shoulder, as opposed to through the shoulders? I figure anything that hits major bone there is going to generate and awful lot of mess, especially since the other cartridges I'd consider would likely be the .270 win and .30-06, which aren't slouches either.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ihookem- I use to have a similar problem w/ bloodshot UNTIL I changed bullets.
Yes I am using 270 also.
Get a heavier 'constructed' bullet & shoot behind shoulder thru RIBS.

I avoid gut shooting like the plague. Try this & see how it works for you.
Good Luck

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DaveIRL
I saw somewhere a while back that John claimed he'd seen to noticeable difference in killing power in cartridges from .25 to .33 calibre. Is this reflected also in meat damage for the most part? I always figured bullet design would play about as much part in meat damage as the cartridge it's fired from, at least, but there seems to be a pretty widespread opinion that cartridges like the 7mm and .300 magnums will obliterate enormous quantities of meat while something like a .270 or a .308 won't.

I know range plays a big part in determining how fast a bullet is travelling when it hits game, but since we don't tend to carry three different rifles on a day's hunting to use depending how far away an animal appears, I guess I'm looking for an experience to reflect a broad range of circumstances. Say, on shots ranging from 30 or 40 yards in scrub to 400 yards across open hillside, are you really going to notice more meat damage as a rule from say a .300 win mag over a .270?

The background to this is that, here in Ireland, there's not a whole pile of big country as such, and you might find yourself fighting through thick brush one minute and hiking across a few miles of open hillside the next, and so shots can range from short to long pretty quickly. While our predominant deer species (sika) aren't large, they're quite tough to put down and certainly not prone to giving up the ghost without a scrap, so rounds like the .270 that can hit hard at range are quite popular. However, I was talking about a .300 mag as a good all-rounder and a lot of guys think it's going to destroy a lot of meat. Personally, I don't think it'll destroy more than a .270 at a given range, assuming a good quality projectile is used, and while it'll kick harder, it's still easy enough on the shoulder.

The rifle would have a secondary use as a travelling rifle, the intention being that it would get a lot of use at home and be very familiar, rather than being specifically used to hunt in Europe and Africa and not used much at home. As such, while I know it's not necessary for sika stags at home, it's not going to kill them too dead, but will it render a lot of meat wasted? I know a much more moderate round might be much kinder, particularly at short range, but as compared to the likes of a .270 or a .30-06, which would be other favourites here, is it going to make a whole lot of difference?

I'm posing this here because of what JB said about sample sizes and their relevance, and I figure that he might have something to offer in terms of a broad analysis.

Dave,

Welcome to the Fire.

You definitely can use a .300 for everything and hedge the amount of damage with bullet choice and being careful where you put it.

I've seen a hunter kill pronghorn antelope, which are not very tough, with a .300 Win Mag and not lose much meat because he used a harder bullet and kept it in the ribs.

On the flipside, I, unfortunately, have lost more meat that I should have by getting into an antelope's shoulder with a Hornady SST bullet from a 7-08.

Good luck. By the way, I lived in Ireland briefly years ago and had a great time. I'd love to return some day to hunt, fish, and visit a few pubs. Ok, more than a few...

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If you shoot through the neck or the ribs, meat damage is minimal no matter what you use.
If you shoot at assorted quartering angles, then you are going to shoot up more meat. So if you took that shot angle, perhaps meat damage is not that big of an issue. ? Are you going to spend thousands of dollars to hunt another continent and pass up a shot because of $5 worth of meat? Not likely, but entirely up to the shooter.

I'd take the cartridge that does what you need and pick a good bullet...and don't worry about it too much.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 1minute, 1moredeer, 63 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.