Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I still have the Herters C-press I got new in '68 when I was 15. It's laying in a corner gathering dust now, but I still have it. Somewhere there is the powder measure and scales that came with it. I have upgraded a lot in the last 40 years, and always got rid of the stuff I replaced. I just couldn't bring myself to jettison that big old brown hunk of cast iron though.

I think I have a bullet mold or two from back then. But come to think of it, I haven't seen them for a while. Maybe I don't. I have around 30 molds on hand now, and must have gone through another 30 that I got rid of when I didn't need them anymore. I just don't believe in holding onto every little thing in case I might need it or for nostalgia reasons.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a rockchucker I bought back in the 70's and have bought some newer things as well.I hope my grandkids still have the opportunity to use these things when I am gone.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I have a rockchucker I bought back in the 70's and have bought some newer things as well.I hope my grandkids still have the opportunity to use these things when I am gone.

Amen to that!

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have several single stage and progressive presses now but still use my RCBS jr from 1970 for standard rifle rounds and low volume pistol. Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
First press I bought Bonanza Co-Axial. Bonanza 270, 280, dies. Redding scale. Bought all in early 70's All still in service but added Redding Ultra Mag press 4 years ago.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I still have and use a Herter's press, and my old faithful Lee. Works fine and has lasted quite a long time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rockchucker press, Lyman 55 measure, Ohaus scale, loading blocks, and handheld case prep tools bought in 1970 still used each time I load. Currently load 15 calibers so they get lots of use.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Updated a few times since the mid-'60s. Only have one original accessory left that I still use regularly: an R.F. Wells clear plastic powder funnel from 1964.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haven't bought anything new in years except for dies. I sold my Rockchucker to a friend but replaced it with a Redding. I had no real need to as the RC was a great press. What I need is a bigger garage and more time!

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
FTR,
I lost the charger for my power screwdriver. I like that setup and in fact I am going to send out a search warrant for the charger again because I have a Forster trimmer just like yours and love it. Wish I didn't have to crank it though.
Thanks for the pic.
Would you be so kind as to send me the numbers on your charger. If I cannot find mine maybe I can order one.

Dave

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Dave, my power screwdriver is a Black & Decker Versa Pak, circa 1995. The batteries are still being made and sold by B&D and they have two types. The Gold is NiMH technology and the Silver is NiCad technology. I find them at Home Depot and Lowes. I have two chargers, the original 2 slot design and another one with 4 slots. If you visit the Black and Decker website, you will get all the information you need and can order directly from there, but I would bet that your local hardware store carries these things.

Here is the link:
http://blackanddecker.com/attachments/VP142.aspx
[Linked Image]

Midwayusa.com carries the power screwdriver adapter for the Forster trimmer as part# 644779 for $14.
[Linked Image]

Denys

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Bought my first...no second press, used for $50. Still use it today. Even after reviewing a miriad of reloading equipment, I never upgraded.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought an RCBS JR press in 1974, It's still going strong.

Wish it would wear out so I can get a Rock Chucker.

Virgil B.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ohaus 10-10 bought in 1974, still the one and only scale I've ever used.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm still using the RCBS Rockchucker that I started out with in 1966, and Uniflow powder measure, Ohaus 10-10 scales and powder trickler, and Lee powder dippers that I bought in '70 or '71.

From '66 to '71, I used a Lyman powder measure and scale that belonged to a friend of mine. His son still has them now.

I've upgraded my Uniflow with the micrometer adjustment, which I really like. And I pulled the bicycle grip off the handle of the Rockchucker and threaded the end and put on a 2" diameter round knob and it's lot more comfortable now.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I started reloading in 1973... With a RCBS Jr, Redding scales, and Pacific DL-105 Shotgun press. That was all I could afford and I thought I could upgrade later.

In 1976, I bought a Rock Chucker kit w/510 scales. (sold all the other...) A couple of years later I realized I missed the Jr press. (I like it better for pistol rounds...) and bought another. A few years ago I added a Redding Boss, a Bonanza Co-Axial, a Dillon RL-550B.

All my original RCBS dies have long been gone. Now I like Redding or bonanza dies. But I still have many RCBS dies in rare or wildcat chamberings... smile (And also numerous sets of RCBS Competition dies.)

I believe I still have my original Uniflow powder measure, but I don't use it. I like my Redding 3BR or BR-30 much better. And still use my original 510 scales...But mostly an O'Haus 1110; Dial-A-Grain scales. I have a PACT electronic scales, but I've never taken it out of the box... smile

I literally wore out one Forster trimmer and now have two or three more. (I learned the folly of using a high-speed electric drill on it...) frown

Over the years, I've loaded thousands of rounds, and taught several friends how to load on my equipment. And it has served me well. Perhaps one of my grandsons will take up the hobby... grin

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
I literally wore out one Forster trimmer and now have two or three more. (I learned the folly of using a high-speed electric drill on it...) frown

You do realize that you can buy a replacement cutting shaft for the trimmer. I change mine every 5 years or so. Last one I bought cost $17.

Loading equipment is made to last a long time and the vendors have replacement for the parts that can wear out or break, such as cutting shats, decapping pins, etc. Then unless you let a Marine use your gear or you adjust it carefully with a big hammer, it should last you a lifetime or three.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought all of my basic equipment in 1978 when I got married and moved out of my folks house. I was 18, I was working in a sporting goods store at the time, so I purchased a Rockchuker a RCBS 10-10 scale, a uniflow powder meauser, and a Forster trimmer, and of course dies and shell holders. I still have all of it as well as a Dillon 550C that I use for pistol ammo.

Shipster

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey Guys - I'm surprised so many are NOT using a digital scale. I still have my balance scale and RARELY use it. If you haven't used a digital scale you're missing out IMO.

I bought my Rock Chucker press mainly because I got an 8 mm Rem Mag and the LARGER opening was a real asset. The extra leverage is noticeable with all rifle cases tho.

Food For Thot.
Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 12/16/11.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I don't often use my Lee Dippers and my mallet-powered Lee Loaders, but my RCBS Junior and an assortment of RCBS and Redding dies, plus an RCBS Uniflow and and an RCBS scale are still my standard equipment.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,590
Posts18,492,128
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.