Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Is there really any difference? I have a chance at a 338 Win Mag, but it has a push feed action. I love the CRF actions though. I've heard the pros/ cons of each. Can you guys give me your input?

Thanks, Joel

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have had both CRF and PF rifles over the years. To be frank I don't know what the fuss is over as I have never seen one as significantly more reliable when feeding than the other. Never had a problem with either. Actually I have only seen one rifle that was put out of commission while hunting and that was from extraction issues and it was a mauser 98 that jumped the rim on a friends rifle. I finally got the case out for the guy but it was a headache. Another thing I have found that a CRF complicates is when you are trying to adjust your dies to barely bump back the case just enough that it chambers easily. Some CRF don't cycle cases very well, so running the resized case into the chamber to see how it fits is a pain. All in all I guess I have a slight preference for a push feed. I guess I'll just take my chances when I finally draw a charge from a wounded deer or angry groundhog.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had push feed 70s in .338, .264 and .300 Win Mag, and still have one in 7x57. Never had any problems with feeding or chambering in any of 'em (at any angle, to include completely upside down). I've had and now have several CRF rifles; Ruger, Kimber, MRC and a pre-64 70 in several different chamberings. I have had some feeding problems with some of them, but it was due to magazine feed lips, not the extractor. I'm with bangeye...don't know what the fuss is all about.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks guys, I kinda figured it was a personal preference thing.

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup just my preference but I would not pay the premium you do for a model 70 if it wasn't CRF. For a push feed I'll take a weatherby or savage.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have both, no issues with either. The pre 64 in 300H&H does however feed like no other rifle I have owned.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Can some one brush the high points of both. I'm not following. Is it just the ejector?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The biggest difference is the ejector and extractor.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my observations over the years, FWIW, selling prices on GB favor the CRF actions over the PF.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I have both, no issues with either. The pre 64 in 300H&H does however feed like no other rifle I have owned.

'Most likely it feeds so smoothly because of the .300 H&H Magnum's TAPERED cartridge case which aids considerably in giving it that smooth feed.

Jus' my 2�... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, there is a reason it was designed that way, Others ae not bad, but the 300 H&H has a noticeably difference from other cartrigdes.

Last edited by smithrjd; 12/17/11.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
rbodenburg:In a properly tuned CRF, the rim of the cartridge snaps up under the extractor immediately as the cartridge pops up from the rails of the magazine.At this point, the cartridge is "controlled",because the extractor has grabbed it before the case enters the chamber.

In contrast,with a PF, the case is still "loose" until the cartridge has been pushed far enough into the chamber so that the extractor can snap over the rim of the case to "grab" it.

Ejection in a PF is controlled by the extractor,and usually a plunger ejector in the face of the bolt that is actuated by a tiny spring.The plunger exerts sideward pressure on the case, so that the case is kicked out of the loading port when the bolt is withdrawn far enough.

In a CRF, the extractor holds the case, until the rearward movement of the bolt causes a standing blade ejector to move into a recess or slot in the bolt,and hits the cartridge,kicking it out the loading port.Force of ejection in the CRF is controlled by how hard the shooter operates the bolt, whereas in a PF you get one degree of speed or force of ejection.

In theory anyway,and with a properly tuned CRF (not all are created equal,like anything),double feeding is prevented with the CRF because by the time the bolt has moved far enough to the rear to pick up the next cartridge,the ejector has already done its' job,and the empty case should already have been kicked out of the loading port(ejected).

There are other nuances but in general all parts of a properly tuned CRF must work in synch,and be properly "timed",and the magazine box or rails should be cartridge specific,the extractor of proper dimension and exerting correct tension to hold the case during these functions,yet be capable of letting go of the case as it is ejected.

Which you choose and like is a personal thing, but they operate very much differently. It is easier, and cheaper, to build a PF system than a "good" CRF.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Nicely said.

I've got push feed rifles and CRF rifles. Both work well. Truly have no preference.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I have M70's in CRF, PF and the oddball CRPF. I've shot a number of deer with push feeds, one with CRPF.

For a few years, Winchester made what they called "controlled round push feed". It has an extractor like a push feed, and an ejector like a controlled-round feed. I don't think it works as well as the other two.

Note that early Savage 110's were that way.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by addicted
I've heard the pros/ cons of each. Can you guys give me your input?

Thanks, Joel

Yes, I can.

I have an absolutely MINT .308 m70 sporter and a near mint .243 win m70 fwt. Both push feeds. There isn't a damn thing wrong with either of them. I'm becoming very attatched to the .243. It's a great carrying rifle. Both function flawlessly. The .243 shoots Federal Barns 85gr TSX into 7/8" groups at 100.

You can get them for a fair bit cheaper than the "classic" or Pre-64's and still not have to worry about function. If you're going to be collecting them, I'd then go with the controled round extractor, they do seem to hold value better.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by addicted
Is there really any difference? I have a chance at a 338 Win Mag, but it has a push feed action. I love the CRF actions though. I've heard the pros/ cons of each. Can you guys give me your input?

Thanks, Joel
Nothing wrong with the PF actions.. In fact, they usually feed slightly better overall AND, as a bonus, they're usually cheaper to buy..

Gopherit..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

I've got both also. A .270 Classic Fwt and an early 80's .25-06 XTR Sporter. Neither are going anywhere. Except for the diff designs of feeding and extraction both are excellent firearms. In fact the XTR is most accurate out of the box firearm (mine or anyone elses)that I've shot to date.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks bob. Great detailed explanation.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"For a few years, Winchester made what they called "controlled round push feed". It has an extractor like a push feed, and an ejector like a controlled-round feed. I don't think it works as well as the other two."

I've got one of those, a Win 70 "Coyote" and dang, that thing feeds .300 WSM's slick.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, Guy, your rifle pushed me over the edge into buying my 7WSM Coyote. Should have a Vortex Viper PST for it when I come home for Christmas. Need to order some 30mm rings for it.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,551
Posts18,472,981
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.