Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
3stars Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey guys,
I've been reading "Savage Collectors" for a while now and I have started to learn alittle bit at a time. 2012 is almost here and I would love to get my first 99. Can you guys recommend any reading material I can read to learn more about the certain models? I really want to narrow my choices before starting my search. Any recommendation will help....
Thanks for your help!
3 Stars

"Deer Camp... how can you not like this place?!?"
Is it November 15th yet???
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a premil F...any available caliber will do. You can thank me later!

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Look through the above "sticky" post titled "misc. good info". One of the posts is for a book by Murray "The Savage 99". Good book, I got mine using the info provided.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Welcome to the forum 3 stars. A wealth of info available here, along with many strong and often disparate opinions on any topic! If caliber makes a difference to your planned use/enjoyment, pick that first. Then if possible go to some gunshows and put various models to you shoulder to get an idea of weight/barrel length/sight picture/feel that you might prefer. Most here recommend sticking with "pre-mil" (serial # below 1 million) as the better rifles although some might also disagree.

It won't matter too much what you get at first...the dang things are addicting and you will without question be adding other versions to your collection quickly. grin

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome--

+1 on the Murray book. Buy one on eBay before you start shopping seriously for a rifle. It's the best investment you'll make.

Take a look at the photos on this site for good comparisons of the various models: http://savagela.org/

I would agree with Jed's suggestion for a 1950s pre-mil model F, but everybody's tastes vary.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
premil = Pre 1 million serial number/Pre-1960 = Walnut stock. Nice checkering

postmil = Post 1 million serial number/1960+ = Birch stock. Cheaper impressed checkering

F = Featherweight
EG = Standard weight
R = Heavyweight

E = Economy; many were made 1960+

There are other models but these 4 are generally the ones you'll come across most.

300 Savage was most popular chambering but factory ammo is now harder to find on store shelves and pricier ($30/box).

If you're looking for a shooter (non-collectable), expect to pay $400 +/- for one in relatively decent shape.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pre-mil F in 300 would be hard to beat. Load it light for varmints, heavy for game. 22" barrel is all that's needed, and they're very light. I'm one of the weirdo's that happens to like USING the later tang safety models vs. the more collectible pre-mil lever safety models most of the guys recommend, from a convenience viewpoint. Your bolt gun buddies will look down their nose at you, or silently envy you, but you will kill stuff all the same.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jed 1899
Get a premil F...any available caliber will do. You can thank me later!

+1

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
3stars,

Good advice above. Plus 1 on the premil F. Pre mil anything really.

Decide what you want each purchase for; collecting or hunting. Or both.

Keep reading the forum, you'll learn a bunch.

Savage made other quality rifles besides the 1899/99. Think rimfire.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like Carbines, my personal favorite is the 99H:
[Linked Image]

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
IC B3

3stars Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks everyone for your comments and information! I will continue to read this forum and continue to learn little by little!!! My first 99 will be for hunting, but I'm sure when the fever takes hold, some may be collectors! Keep the posts coming.... interesting to read what every suggests!!
Thanks again!!
3stars

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you reload, I'm going to suggest an EG in 300 Savage. Lots of flexibility if you don't have to rely on factory ammunition.

If you don't reload, a 1950's 99F in 308 can be hard to find but should be reasonably priced for a shooter.

3stars Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey Calhoun
Thanks
Can I pick you brain on why an EG 300 ? My brother is now reloading, so that can help me out in the ammo choices.
Thanks a bunch

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I could have only one 99 to hunt with it would be a pre mil post war F.

If I could have 2, I have the F and an EG. And both would be 300 Savage.

Just sayin.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 3stars
Hey Calhoun
Thanks
Can I pick you brain on why an EG 300 ? My brother is now reloading, so that can help me out in the ammo choices.
Thanks a bunch

I learned from Calhoun that the EG and in 300 Savage was the most popular version at the time and therefore is still pretty easy to find at a decent price. I had my heart set on a 50's EG in 308 but this is a pretty rare bird...hence pricier.

I went with a 52 EG in 300 Savage. The EG has a shnable (sp?) fore end which I like the look of.

Last edited by Recruit; 12/27/11.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The best information available is not in any book but found on this forum. Not that I don't recommend Murray's book, I do, but there's a wealth of information found on this forum. Work your way backward here, while you read Murray's book and you will receive quite the education smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun
If you reload, I'm going to suggest an EG in 300 Savage. Lots of flexibility if you don't have to rely on factory ammunition.

If you don't reload, a 1950's 99F in 308 can be hard to find but should be reasonably priced for a shooter.

Calhoun, would you want to recommend a post 900,000 but pre-mil (if in 308) due to the modifications Savage made post 900,000 and post 1 million? Or a post mil if an E model in 308? Just checking, not correcting!

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd recommend the EG because it is the most common cartridge/model found out there for 99's, and is more of the classic 99 look with a schnabel forearm. I also prefer the thinner forearm for handling, those 99T's/99R's/99F's are nice but it doesn't feel as nice as a schnabel. The 99EG may weigh 8-12 ounces more than a 99F, but that's no biggie unless you're traipsing high into the mountains. Basically, it's a good starter 99 that's a DANGED good hunter. I'm also not a huge fan of pencil thin barrels like the 99F has, I've found they can be touchier about accuracy - just my opinion there.

The 300 Savage cartridge can be loaded low like a 30-30, and almost up to 308 velocities, so there's no real gain in paying the extra $$ for a 308 if you reload. If you don't reload, there's a ton of factory ammunition available for the 308 so I'd recommend it over the 300 Savage in that case.

The 1950's 99F and 99R will always be factory d&t. The 99R has the advantage of having sling eyes, the 99F has the advantage of being lightweight and having nicer checkering. Both are still pretty inexpensive and common in 300 Savage.

Any premil 99 in 308 will be in the 900,000 serial number range, so that's the ones to look for.

If looking for postmil guns, find one you like for a reasonable price. I've hunted with a 99C and it worked fine, owned 99E's and 99DL's. I don't like the impressed checkering or a lot of the 99E birch stocks, but you can find early postmils with cut checkering or later postmils with good checkering. Despite the scorn they get here in a collector's forum, I think almost all of the postmil 99's are good hunting rifles.

3stars Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Everyone!
My lesson on 99's started with this first post! I will pick up Murray's book and continue reading this forum to continue my education! I know if I have any questions, where to ask....
Looking forward to learning more and then starting my search(gotta wrestle the $ from my wife and kids first). Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!!!
3stars

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by hclark
I like Carbines, my personal favorite is the 99H:
[Linked Image]

All I can say is wow...that is a beauty! I'll let you guess if it's the deer or gun I'm referring to. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 26 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,652
Posts18,512,756
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.