Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I went hunting with my R93 today......

Walked out and set up to try for a coyote, didn't see a thing; messing with a new to me Fox Pro picked up here in the classifieds......got some crows to come in.

Took a minute to put my 28 ga barrel on that fits in my day pack, and wacked a few red squirrels in a pine stand on the way back.

Sure would like to shoot something with that 8x57 barrel.

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by dinsdale
I went hunting with my R93 today......

Walked out and set up to try for a coyote, didn't see a thing; messing with a new to me Fox Pro picked up here in the classifieds......got some crows to come in.

Took a minute to put my 28 ga barrel on that fits in my day pack, and wacked a few red squirrels in a pine stand on the way back.

Sure would like to shoot something with that 8x57 barrel.

Not had a chance to shoot a coyote with one of my 8X57s, but I can tell you from experiance, that a 9.3X62 is rather hard on em.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I had those Sellier and Bellot rounds with me.....

I had a chance to shoot to 200 yds with them and they were decent.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking forward to my 52cm 9.3x62 barrel..... Obaby grin

Taking my rifle for a walk
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Your good to go then, good lord willin, and your R93 don't blow up. wink

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 340Wby

I have a 52cm, 8X57 Attache, with sights, in the R8 on order. I like my Sauer 202 Highland so well, I had to have a short barreled Blaser, to go with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If it matters, I have also spent the last of my breaths on defending the R93, unless someone wants to know about my experence with one sampling of these rifles. There are no doubt some very innovative and high quality features but the action remains the whipping boy of this rifle. So be it.

Dom might have been referring to me in mentioning that the R8 was introduced in Jan of 2010--that is correct, I believe, at the SHOT show here. That's where they--Blaser-- received many more orders than anticipated if I have the chronology of events right now. I mentioned "2008 or 2009" because i believe I saw it advertised long before introduced, and long before availability and confused the terms.

Anyway, gents, nothing to get rancorous over. Good shooting.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A friend of mine has that Sauer on order(30-06 & 308Win).
I shouldered one a few years back....it was light n very trim. Sweet rigs those 202's, especially the alloy action type. My old Hardwood steel action was a club when scope & mounts were fitted, but ideal using with just OS.....Another compromise I guess wink

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Mine has the Attache flutes too, just no OS on it. Saving on weight....lol wink

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by corjack

Your good to go then, good lord willin, and your R93 don't blow up. wink

I got to read on the internet more so I can be safe. crazy

IC B3

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[quote=dinsdale

I got to read on the internet more so I can be safe. crazy

[/quote]

You do that you will never go hunting! grin

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Mine has the Attache flutes too, just no OS on it. Saving on weight....lol wink

I just like a rifle with sights, think they look better, and I actually use mine a bit as well. I got out the R93 rimfire kit, with RAZ sights, a few days ago, and shot at several steel gongs I have set up in my backyard/shooting range, great fun, and great practise.
On paper I have surprised myself several times at how well a rifle equipped with decent sights, can shoot. Even the plastic sights on the R93, are quite functional, and durable. If I go on a hunt I am having to pay for, having sights that I can fall back on in a pinch, and knowing they work, are very comforting to me.

Last edited by corjack; 12/27/11.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The R93 Blaser... as I said, over-engineered answer to a question no one was asking.

Things that have worked for a century do so for a reason. The metallic cartridge is a VERY simple thing and doesn't really require a technology to handle it much newer than it is.

Shocking revelation I know...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A friend of mine has that Sauer on order(30-06 & 308Win).
I shouldered one a few years back....it was light n very trim. Sweet rigs those 202's, especially the alloy action type. My old Hardwood steel action was a club when scope & mounts were fitted, but ideal using with just OS.....Another compromise I guess wink

You are dead on in that lightweight alloy 202 was about as sweet a rifle as I've ever held in my hand. I had them in 22-250, 25-06, two 243s, and two 270 Winchesters. Wound up keeping the 270 that I bought new and it's still the lightest rifle in the safe. And as much as I like my Blasers I think the 202 is the best looking conventional rifle. My R93 Blaser 270 Wby is also light and for a magnum is really about as light as I'd want one.

Which model 202 did your buddy order? They have quite a variety now to choose from.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I have a 50cm 9.3x62 barrel for my R93 and a 52cm 9.3x74r barrel on order for my K95.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by retrieverman
Originally Posted by retrieverman
As I said before, I don't doubt there is "some" truth in the Blaser blow up propaganda, but I am curious how many of the naysayers on THIS THREAD are engineers???

I personally know at least a couple of engineers who shoot and hunt with R93's, and like me, they don't feel the need to duck when they pull the trigger.

There is a lot of technical mumbo jumbo spewed on the several message board that I am a member of, and I just want to know how many here really have a clue what you are talking about.

I would like my "simple questions" answered too.

I am guessing by the lack of response that there are no engineers posting on this thread. [Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Brad
The R93 Blaser... as I said, over-engineered answer to a question no one was asking.

Things that have worked for a century do so for a reason. The metallic cartridge is a VERY simple thing and doesn't really require a technology to handle it much newer than it is.

Shocking revelation I know...

Well looking at it from that point of view the black powder cannon worked fine. However were I in a fight for my life I'd prefer a Cruise Missile or a Stealth bomber over that cannon. The 50 cal machine guns are a vast improvement over the muzzle loader. Another way to look at it is that progress is something that doesn't always go over well. Especially when we don't understand it or in some cases don't want it to happen. I remember when computers entered the work place. A lot of my older guys looked at that screen like it was something from Mars. Most were convinced that this was a new fangled gadget that would never last. They weren't given a choice when it came to learning how to write reports on it and in short order they were all doing fine. Not long after that they were all sending emails, etc., and wouldn't have given up their computer without a fight. One of the older fellows who complained the loudest began teaching newbies how to use the computer and the report writing software. It was actually quite funny how he took to it once he understood it and realized how much easier it would make things. I find myself now looking at the new phones that are out and I hate them. I don't want to have to learn how to operate one and my eyes are bad enough where I couldn't see what was on one without glasses. Double handicap. So I'll resist that 'progress' as long as I can. And being an old hard headed German I think I'll be holding out for a while. Or at least as long as I can buy a regular cell phone that I can use to CALL people! wink

As for nobody asking for it a whole lot of folks have ventured there. As I said in my earlier post when I first saw one I wasn't interested. In fact I thought it was a gadget with a price higher than I cared to pay. Times have changed and now they're here and in use and they're appreciated for being the engineering feat that they are. Being able to build a rifle out of any assorted bunch of parts is something that not many builders have mastered. Being able to swap those parts without any fitting is impressive. Being able to add another caliber and not have to buy the whole rifle to do it is nice.

It's not for everybody but then again they're having a hard enough time filling the orders they already have. The marketplace is showing it's approval even if some of the old diehard R93 folks were upset when the new one came along. Again there's that 'change' thing rearing it's head again. I suspect some might have tried holding their breath till they passed out but they won't tell us if they did. grin

BTW in an unrelated issue to your post; contrary to the complaints about the detachable magazine that is one of the reasons it has gone over so well in Germany. They can leave the gun in the vehicle, take the mag/trigger assembly with them and if it's stolen they are in a whole lot less of a mess than if a useable firearm is stolen. Were it not for their laws being what they are I doubt if the detachable trigger would ever have been thought of. Must say it pretty well neuters the rifle when it's missing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I posted. And now I see they even come with PLASTIC SIGHTS??? wow, their profit margin must be astronomical...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Yep, and besides bolting them, they are glued on as well. The R8s have metal sights on them, they look a tad nicer, but the function , and durability seem to be about the same. Six of one, half dozen of another. Good sights on both R93, and R8.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
They're definitely better than the plastic sights the Glocks came with for years. Used to have them fall off at the range when they were qualifying. Had one guy shoot better after it fell off... Wondering if Glock ever bolted them on like the aftermarket ones were affixed.

None of my Blasers have sights. All optics and if need be I use a different barrel/scope combo if something were to go wrong with the other one. Or sight the other scope in. Dinsdale here carries his second scope in his pack, ready to go just in case something happens to the first one. Also a good idea.

BTW Corjack how much are Recknagel's plastic sights? If I recall they're pretty steep.

Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,170
Posts18,484,590
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.