Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Looking to drop a Remington 660 rebarrled to 284 in a good quality fiberglass stock any one have an opinion on MPI or Banser or do you suggest someone else?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd go McMillan Edge of some sort as a 1st choice.

Bansner as a second choice.

You couldn't give me an MPI.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Bansner on my Rem 700 308 win and an Edge on my Model 70 284 win. The Edge is probably a little stiffer, but I really like the Bansner as well. Both weight 24 ounces - the Edge with the 1" decelerator and the Bansner with a 1" Limbsaver. Very happy with both. No experience with MPI so can't comment.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I live about 20 minutes from MPI and always see them at our local Sportsmans show. Not that impressive IMHO and the guy who always mans the booth is less than user friendly.

Also, not to say you can't build a high quality product in a less than nice building but really their "factory" looks a little suspect to say the least. Side by side they are not near a McMillan at the same cost.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Bansner all the way.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never owned an MPI. For all I know it's the best but have owned both Bansner and McMillan. I know McMillan is the most popular here and probably elsewhere but I like both equally well.

I've got a Bansner that's been on my Model 70 30-06 that Bansner bedded well over 10 years ago. It's the most consistently accurate rifle with all kinds of loads I've owned. It's been shot a lot and I've never had a problem with it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The MPI will require a lot more work . I have both on some of my rifle

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
McM would be my first choice.

If going cheap, get a B&C Medalist on line from Stocky. Mine cost $209 and isn't a bad stock. Not a McM, but not bad and for less than half the cost.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Money or wait not an issue. McMillian all the way. Love mine

Handy and can do your own fitting and bedding. Banser is a great stock finishing the 2nd one this week as I type this. They take some effort.

Never had an MPI, can't say.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The only reason I ever get a micky is to get the molded in swirl finish. Other than this, there are several good stock makers out there. I have an MPI, Brown Precision, several Mickys, have done one Bansner and a slew of B&C stocks.

MPI and Brown take the most work. The Bansner is the lightest. I have only ever broken one fiberglass stock- it was a B&C from a long time ago- the recoil lug broke through the flimsy mortise. I filled it and rebedded it which has lasted to this day.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MPI? IMO don't.

Before I knew much about the synthetic stock industry and McMillan, I had MPI install a stock for me. Rifle had a blind magazine. They didn't add an escheon so front action screw pulled through. It was a throw together job. LOP that was requested was shorter. They just chopped off rear of stock never moving sling swivel forward. Action was bedded with an upwards tilt. Spent a fortune shipping rifle and stock back and forth three times. They finally agreed to give me a new stock.

I put the original blind mag rifle in a McMillan which is still doing fine 15 yrs later. I had another model 70 that I sent to have a new stock installed. This model 70 had a floorplate and they put that rifle into the second stock. That one split behind front action screw below the hinge recess. I was disgusted at that point. Sent back stock and requested that my money be returned. Their ad has said for years that they guaranteed customer satisfaction. They would not return my money. So...I wrote to the attorneys gen of Oregon AND Az. Doc wrote a scathing letter to the attorneys general that I was a con man, hustler etc. Neither state could do anything. End result Doc kept the stock AND never returned my money.

If you want customer satisfaction don't use MPI. Who knows maybe things will be okay but then again you might get another popsicle stick stock.

pic that has been shown on 24 hr in the past.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a bunch of MPI stocks. Have never had an issue with one. The key to an MPI stock is a competent gunsmith.They do require a bit more work than others.
Have a Bansner at this time also. Its a nice stock but it is not as stiff as an MPI.
If you want light weight nobody makes a stock lighter than MPI

Top pick is a Bansner bottom is MPI

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trappererick,

If you want the lightest you can get you might go with Lone Wolf. They make a twelve ounce version. I ordered one but had them make it look like a Weatherby shape. It still came in under twenty ounces.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I checked with Lone Wolf and they don't inlet for the 600. I have only seen some finished MPI stocks and to be honest they all looked good to me but like stated I think it depend on the guy who puts it on.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a 600 in a MPI, it is over 20 years old and I like it. At the time Brown Precision required much more work to finish. I have no idea what they are like now but it was a pretty good stock for the $ at that time.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Trappererick
I checked with Lone Wolf and they don't inlet for the 600. I have only seen some finished MPI stocks and to be honest they all looked good to me but like stated I think it depend on the guy who puts it on.

I have a M-7 in a Lone Wolf Summit. I don't know how much difference, other than the bolt handle, there is between a M-600 and a M-7. Maybe someone can add some light.

DF

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got two MPI Kevlar stocks. Both ran 18-19 ozs. ready to bolt up. Over ten years ago, they had problems and were not recommended. But now, the last I heard, their record for holding up was even better than the Brown Pounders.
I've got two McMillians and had one other. They were alot more expensive, heavier and took alot longer to get. My 660 action custom has one on it. No problems or complaints. But at 32 ozs., it's alot heavier than the MPI Kevlar models. E

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Azshooter
MPI? IMO don't.

Before I knew much about the synthetic stock industry and McMillan, I had MPI install a stock for me. Rifle had a blind magazine. They didn't add an escheon so front action screw pulled through. It was a throw together job. LOP that was requested was shorter. They just chopped off rear of stock never moving sling swivel forward. Action was bedded with an upwards tilt. Spent a fortune shipping rifle and stock back and forth three times. They finally agreed to give me a new stock.

I put the original blind mag rifle in a McMillan which is still doing fine 15 yrs later. I had another model 70 that I sent to have a new stock installed. This model 70 had a floorplate and they put that rifle into the second stock. That one split behind front action screw below the hinge recess. I was disgusted at that point. Sent back stock and requested that my money be returned. Their ad has said for years that they guaranteed customer satisfaction. They would not return my money. So...I wrote to the attorneys gen of Oregon AND Az. Doc wrote a scathing letter to the attorneys general that I was a con man, hustler etc. Neither state could do anything. End result Doc kept the stock AND never returned my money.

If you want customer satisfaction don't use MPI. Who knows maybe things will be okay but then again you might get another popsicle stick stock.

pic that has been shown on 24 hr in the past.

[Linked Image]

Ahh, the popsicle stick stock makes it's rounds again. This was done by an ex-MPI employee who decided to circulate it on the net to make Doc look bad. I have had 14 different MPI's and have bedded bunches of others for customers when I had my shop. I will say that I have never been unhappy with one. They do require a bit more work, but worth it IMO. Just my 2 cents.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most "MPI gone bad" stories I've read about are due to improper bedding or fitting by gunsmiths, Of course everyone puts out a lemon once on a while.

I have another rifle at the smiths right now having a MPI installed sure hope it not a lemon >grin

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
See if Wildcat Composites make one for a 600.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (22250rem, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,247
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.