Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Pocket Rocket. I really don't see a whole lot of advantage to this new one. I suppose if you were really going some distance and every single square centimeter of pack space was critical and every single gram of weight equally critical then MAYBE the case could be made that this is a better option.
Dunno.
I suppose if this is just the "new and improved" model which just happens to be slightly more compact than the "old" model then great.

Still, it has the same "problem", if you want to call it that, as the Pocket Rocket...those darned bulky and heavy fuel canisters.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTW, very interesting site you posted Brad! Thanks!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Oooh, that looks nice!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the link.

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Damn you....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Gentlemen, good afternoon (or whatever time of day it is where you are).

I noticed my site, Adventures In Stoving was getting a few visitors from 24 Hour Campfire. I thought you might be interested in my follow on post regarding the new MicroRocket: [b][i]The MicroRocket and Small Mugs/Pots -- What Fits?[/i][/b] wherein I take a look at some mug type and other small pots and see whether or not the new MicroRocket offers any advantage over the old PocketRocket.

I see someone already posted a link to my site, so hopefully posting a link here is OK. I imagine a moderator will be along in a minute to slap my hand if not. smile

By the way, I've only had the stove for two days now, but I really like what I see. This is a real product improved version.

I'll be doing more tests and blogging more on this new stove, so please join me on a few Adventures in Stoving. smile

HJ

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Jim;

Send a PM to RickBin and clear sponsorship with him, and you're golden.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
PM sent.

Thanks.

HJ

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by snubbie
I suppose if this is just the "new and improved" model which just happens to be slightly more compact than the "old" model then great.
Snubbie, as much as I like stoves, I think I have to agree with you. It's an improvement, but it's not "throw away your old stove which is now junk".

The build quality is greatly improved. The durability is improved. It's a tad lighter (1/2 ounce). It's significantly more compact though.

Speaking of more compact, let me show you two photos, if I may:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is a little 550ml mug pot (holds approx. 2 cups). In the second photos, inside the pot is the stove and a 110g canister of gas (several days worth of fuel).

If someone were out in, say, fall deer hunting season, that little mug could easily slip into a chest or fanny pack. A quick cup of coffee or soup can be a really nice thing, and there's no worry about wet wood and getting a fire started or any of that. Sure, you can make a fire, but gas is very convenient and clean -- no sooty pot to deal with.

Just thought that a photo of an entire cooking set up might put the size of the stove into perspective.

Regards,

HJ

IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Jim;

Send a PM to RickBin and clear sponsorship with him, and you're golden.

I can't see where Hikin Jim is selling anything on his website. It just looks like the site of an enthusiast (albeit a very sick one -- I like that! smile ), so why would he have to talk to Rick Bin about being a sponsor?

If there is a link to sell stuff on Jim website, I have missed it: this could be my popup blocker, or my stupidity -- would not be the first time! smile

John

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For the record, I have nothing for sale on my Blog. It is purely that, a blog.

HJ

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hikin_Jim
For the record, I have nothing for sale on my Blog. It is purely that, a blog.

HJ

Good to know. We do get a lot of posts here that just pump commercial websites, so you could see how somebody might think that was your purpose.

I have saved your site as a bookmark.

I have a friend who is one of those hiker types that saws the handle off his toothbrush to save weight. Actually, he probably leaves his toothbrush at home to save weight! I will send your url to him -- and he will spend hours reading your blog as he tries to save one gram more! smile

John

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ah, yes, I know the type.

If he's a gas stove user in cold weather, I've got a post that will drive him crazy. It's the ultimate backpacking fuel: propane in a lightweight backpacking type canister. It's been discontinued, but you can still find a can or two here and there. That ought to drive him batty. smile

HJ

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That new one is pretty cool. I'll have to get one for the backpack, and leave the old one on the boat.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It really is a nice stove. The new MR has all of the functionality of the PR in "half" the package. (OK, maybe not quite "half", but it is quite compact)

[Linked Image]

HJ

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I took it out on the trail today. It's really a nice little stove.

HJ

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Based on my hike yesterday, I compiled the following:

In a couple of days, MSR is set to release their new MicroRocket stove.
[Linked Image]
The MicroRocket will be MSR's first entry into the lightweight, high-end gas stove market. (The existing PocketRocket is more of an entry level stove).

Yesterday, I took the stove out on the trail for the first time.
[Linked Image]

Please join me on an another Adventure in Stoving: [i][b]The New MSR MicroRocket -- Trail Report #1[/b][/i]

HJ

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I took the new MR stove out again yesterday. This time I went cold and high.
[Linked Image]

I wanted to see how it would do. I was actually fairly impressed. Full report to follow when I get time.
[Linked Image]

HJ

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wow. You can save 2g... or .08 oz.

I can't see an advantage to this over the pocket rocket. If a person needed a new/additional stove...perhaps.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10ring1, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 15,479 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,305
Posts18,545,470
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.