Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by rsilvers
300 BLK is not 6.8 all over again, for a few reasons:

1. The military will actually adopt 300 BLK.
2. The brass is only 10-25 cents each while 6.8 is 50 to 75 each.
3. The ammo is $12.50 a box rather than $16 a box. Ammo will likely go to $9 a box.
4. 30 cal is more popular.
5. It uses normal magazines.
6. It uses a normal bolt.
7. ~75 companies have jumped on in 1 year. 6.8 is about 8 years old and had much less rapid growth.
8. Many optimal loads are out or coming out in 2012.
9. Works really well out of 16 inch barrels, while 6.8 and 5.56mm favor longer barrels.

A suppressor is not required for it any more than one is for 30-30 or 7.62x39mm. Just because it also has good subsonic ammo does not mean that is what it is all about.

The traveling salesman for AAC makes his bi-annual drive by BS.

Time and time again you make outrageous claims that never pan out then disappear for a few months, only to appear again when a .300 AAC thread appears and you throw out more outrageous claims and claim the check's in the mail... rinse, repeat.

[Linked Image]

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Foxbat
300 BLK is not 6.8 all over again, for a few reasons:

1. The military will actually adopt 300 BLK.
2. The brass is only 10-25 cents each while 6.8 is 50 to 75 each.
3. The ammo is $12.50 a box rather than $16 a box. Ammo will likely go to $9 a box.
4. 30 cal is more popular.
5. It uses normal magazines.
6. It uses a normal bolt.
7. ~75 companies have jumped on in 1 year. 6.8 is about 8 years old and had much less rapid growth.
8. Many optimal loads are out or coming out in 2012.
9. Works really well out of 16 inch barrels, while 6.8 and 5.56mm favor longer barrels.

A suppressor is not required for it any more than one is for 30-30 or 7.62x39mm. Just because it also has good subsonic ammo does not mean that is what it is all about.

The traveling salesman for AAC makes his bi-annual drive by BS.

Time and time again you make outrageous claims that never pan out then disappear for a few months, only to appear again when a .300 AAC thread appears and you throw out more outrageous claims and claim the check's in the mail... rinse, repeat.

Too funny and TRUE!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
aww c'mon, tell us what you guys really think. grin

I've always thought the round was interesting, even long before I thought about owning an AR. The commercialization of the round, making it readily supported by guns, ammo, and components, is appreciated. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Never underestimate the bureaucracy of the Army Procurement System... it rushes forward at the speed of a glacier...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I think it's a great round. One that I have been seriously considering for some time, whether it be in the flavor of Blackout, Fireball or Whisper.

But it is a niche round and I think a salesman for AAC would be better served promoting honest virtues of the round, instead of going from shooting site to shooting site constantly trying to denigrate the competition, with wild claims.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am also considering the 300 BO instead of a used-new lever 30-30. RSilvers is one of the creators of the round I believe so he is really more than a salesman. The 6.8 is a fine round but I just don't want to have a separate collection of magazines that look similar to my other magazines. The other question that I have had was will a round fire if you drop the hammer on a blackout round accidentally chambered in a 5.56 gun. For sure the hammer will drop, don't know if the pin will reach the primer.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I am also considering the 300 BO instead of a used-new lever 30-30. RSilvers is one of the creators of the round I believe so he is really more than a salesman. The 6.8 is a fine round but I just don't want to have a separate collection of magazines that look similar to my other magazines. The other question that I have had was will a round fire if you drop the hammer on a blackout round accidentally chambered in a 5.56 gun. For sure the hammer will drop, don't know if the pin will reach the primer.

I would hesitate to call someone a 'creator' of a round that was already in existence. That would be like calling whomever came up with the 6.8 Spec II chamber the creator of the round. Silvers may have massaged the specs slightly and been a driving force to push it thru SAAMI but that's about it. Let's give credit where it's due to JD Jones for creating the round.

In addition, it is my contention that if you come to a website to push a product, you should be open and upfront about who you are and what your relationship is to the product/company whenever you post. That way, everyone knows your agenda and there can be no doubt that your position is tainted by your employment status. No one can then mistake your information as independent, personal experience when you post.

Sadly, I do not know if the .300 BO will chamber and fire in a 5.56 chamber. I know the 5.56 can be loaded in the 6.8 chamber and in certain cases I have seen, the extractor will hold the round tight enough that it can be fired. Usually only happens once though...... eek

Within the parameters of the AR design, the .300 BO/Whisper is a fine round.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
you should hone your reading skills as I said "one of the creators of the round"...further the BO was not in existence, I presume you are talking about the whisper, very similar but not identical.

Last edited by jimmyp; 12/28/11.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
He said "a creator" which has the same exact meaning as "one of the creators", so his reading skills appear fine.

It's pretty obvious they Whisper/Fireball was copied and tweaked just barely enough. It would be highly disingenuous to pretend AAC had never seen the .300 Fireball/Whisper before and created this from blank canvas.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Its a matter of interpretation, the round was not in existence, the whisper was in existence. Your arguing as you usually do just to be arguing. I don't deny that Rsilvers was influenced by the whisper, but that has nothing to do with the round being in existence. It was not "in existence" its a new creation, but very similar to the whisper.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Its a matter of interpretation, the round was not in existence, the whisper was in existence. Your arguing as you usually do just to be arguing. I don't deny that Rsilvers was influenced by the whisper, but that has nothing to do with the round being in existence. It was not "in existence" its a new creation, but very similar to the whisper.

Says the guy that was arguing the meaning of "a".

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R

What claim was outrageous and did not pan out?

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by the_gman
Let's give credit where it's due to JD Jones for creating the round.

The credit JD is due is for building interest in the 300-221 concept of shooting subsonic. JD did not create the 300-221 - he trademarked his version of it as the Whisper(R). People have been shortening 5.56mm cases and opening them to 30 cal since at least 1969. Also, most of the dimensions were exactly copied from a Remington design - the 221 Fireball.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by the_gman
But please, don't pee down my back and try to tell me that the sudden interest in the round is due entirely to the performance.

The interest is due mostly to SAAMI standardization and making several types of ammo available.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
It's pretty obvious they Whisper/Fireball was copied and tweaked just barely enough. It would be highly disingenuous to pretend AAC had never seen the .300 Fireball/Whisper before and created this from blank canvas.

300 BLK was picking final dimensions for a standardized 300-221 Fireball and submitting them to SAAMI.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Are there SAAMI specs for the .300 Whisper and clones?

How is your round different?

DF

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
No, there are no SAAMI specs for those. 300 BLK is the only SAAMI standard.

I am not sure how it is different, as I don't know what those other rounds use for dimensions - as they are not a standard, so each drawing I have run across is different. I can say what we did...

We took a 221 Fireball and opened it to 30 cal. We set the headspace datum to not be on a radius. We picked the radii to something reasonable. We picked a neck diameter which would be compatible with brass formed from 223 or 5.56mm without neck turning. We picked a throat diameter 0.0005 smaller than 308. We picked a throat length that would allow a 220 Sierra to be loaded to AR mag length and have 0.010 jump.

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Rifle/300%20AAC%20Blackout.pdf

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

What claim was outrageous and did not pan out?

Plenty of misstatements and examples of questionable claims in this thread, the last time we hashed this out.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5650653/1

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I can't read 11 pages. If you have a specific example, please let me know.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (10ring1, 17Hunter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,984
Posts18,520,042
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.