-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys are pissin' me off! All this talk about cool combination guns...I can't afford any new guns right now. Stop it! I mean, don't stop, or...oh, I'm so confused... crazy

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HunterMontana
I bought a Antonio Zoli 12ga/7x57R about a year ago.

Did you buy that off of GunBroker by chance? If so, I remember that gun.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I was hoping to take a whitetail with my Valmet combo this year. I usually take a couple of different guns out to use during the season, but I always use my M14SA for the first one. The eight point that I shot was with that, and I didn't see anything afterwards when I went hunting with the Valmet.

Next year I think that I'm going to shift to the Valmet for the first deer, and everything else for the rest. If I can find either a .22LR/20GA or .22Mag/20GA combo, or get the fellow who makes the .223/.22LR inserts to answer his e mail, I will likely try and use combos for both small game and big game.

Did I mention that I REALLY like combo guns?

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Originally Posted by HunterMontana
I bought a Antonio Zoli 12ga/7x57R about a year ago.

Did you buy that off of GunBroker by chance? If so, I remember that gun.

Brian.

No, I got it at the Bozeman gun show. Anyway, if I get another combination, which I probably will, I'd LOVE to get a drilling in 20ga/7x57R.(Good luck finding that for less than a good used car price...) If I get another combo it will be a 12ga/9.3x74.

I'm amazed how useful a combo is. The difficult part for most is price. For something that works well in common caliber/gauge combinations expect to a least pay $2000 to get everything squared away, gun, scope mounts, maybe chokes. I did see a very nice drilling, with an excellent scope, in 16ga/8x57R for $3500, so it is possible to get something nice for less than some of the prices on Gunbroker or other web sites.

If you buy something without a scope be aware that it may not be simple or cheap to put a sturdy scope mount on the weapon. Also, all the older guns I've handled have a lot of drop in the stock and will need either a butt pad or a new stock to bring them up to work well with a scope. I use a butt pad that holds 5 rifle rounds on the outside and 6 12ga rounds in the zip pocket, this worked very well for me this last season.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mesa,

The 2400 was a good comb gun and was much lighter than the later Valmet 412s. I had two of the 12/308 2400 along the way and sold my last one to raise $$ for a Valmet system. I actually wish I had kept the 2400; it was much faster handling and easier carrying. I never did get to try one in 222, but I heard they were tack drivers. This series uses the Sako dovetail mount system.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by akjeff
Don't have any combo guns(cape or combo), but sure do like the drillings. This one is a circa 1969 Simson 12x12/9.3x74R. Briley choke tubes, and a Zeiss 4x. Great all around hunting gun.

Jeff

[Linked Image]

cool cool ( two-cool )

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
You guys are pissin' me off! All this talk about cool combination guns...I can't afford any new guns right now. Stop it! I mean, don't stop, or...oh, I'm so confused... crazy

I started trading in them at age 13. I mowed lawns for two summers to buy my first drilling, a Sauer 3000 circa 1958 in 16ga and 7X57R. The only rifle ammo available was from Stoeger at that time. I learned all I could about them from anyone who had one or knew about them...made some whopper mistakes, too. I'm not close to wealthy and scratch out a modest living. I did learn enough over 51 years of trading and upgrading drillings and other combo guns to have owned a lot of them, just never many at one time, as I have to sell and trade to move on to other guns I want to fondle for a while. I figure I have tried out somewhere around 200 of various flavors along the way, from Savage 24s to some pretty exotic drilling sets...some with several barrel sets and scopes.

Combination guns push my "hot" button. As a boy I one day took a 5X5 mulie, 6 chuckar and 15 valley quail. I used a Charles Daly sidelock-sidecock 12/12/30-30 similar to Scott's. I was hooked for life. grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You must be feeling better, as I noticed that you're bidding on a Sauer & Sohn Dreiling on Gunbroker. Get well soon.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Bruce! Also got an eland and some sand grouse with it. Really awesome trip. The eland was most satisfying. We tracked and got within range of three different groups over a two week period, walking many miles. Passed as I really wanted an older over the hill bull. Finally found this guy by himself. Full of ticks, and a big hole punched in his skull below his right eye. Think I did him a favor.

Regards,

Jeff

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am bidding on it. I don't really NEED it, but ... well...

I DO TOO NEED IT!!! crazy

( I bid all the gun is worth. If someone wants to over pay, I'll let them have it. wink )

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
THAT is a G R E A T old bull eland! laugh

He has a fantastic "brush" and has those worn horns. IMO that guy is the perfect trophy. cool

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
None of us NEED any of our gun purchases, at least not after the basic .22/shotgun/big game rifle/defensive handgun buys, but when you gotta have it, you gotta have it. Just glad that you're able to show an interest. Get better soon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
THAT is G R E A T old bull eland! laugh

He has a fantastic "brush" and has those worn horns. IMO that guy is the perfect trophy. cool

Thank you sir! Definitely one of my most cherished hunts. The other bulls we tracked and I passed on, were all bigger horned, and in prime condition, but I committed myself to finding an over the hill bull. It was worth it. Cepo, the tracker, was truly amazing to watch. It was worth passing on the others, just to get to track another, and watch him do his thing!

This photo is kinda low res, but in the original, you can see the bulge of the 286gr A-Square Dead Tough under the hide at the neck/shoulder junction. It raked through him from about mid rib cage on the other side. Shot from about 40-50 yards. Followed with a solid just behind the last rib, and it stopped just a few inches below the soft.

Regards,

Jeff

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
cant believe such little talk on this topic about the Baikal IZH94. was imported for about a year by Remington by the model # SPR94 and now imported through EAA and USSG as the MP-94.
I own a 223/12ga and a 308/12ga [Linked Image]

Great little gun with a few problems. absolutely the worst recoil pad on the planet and brutal trigger's. spend a little time with one and you will have to have one

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by boatanchor
cant believe such little talk on this topic about the Baikal IZH94. was imported for about a year by Remington by the model # SPR94 and now imported through EAA and USSG as the MP-94.
I own a 223/12ga and a 308/12ga [Linked Image]

Great little gun with a few problems. absolutely the worst recoil pad on the planet and brutal trigger's. spend a little time with one and you will have to have one

Yea, so, compared to my Zoli which has NO recoil pad and that is NOT an issue due to the very well designed stock. Everyone that has fired it was surprised that it had no recoil pad.

My gun weighs in at 9lbs with 7 rounds of 12ga, 5 7x57R cartridges, scope, butt pack and sling. It also had a very nice crisp trigger on both the rifle and shotgun barrels plus a set trigger for the rifle.

It also had regulated barrels that are joined together, not a functional thing. And actually the floating gap barrels on the Baikal are easier to deal with, just not that attractive. Some makers provide a plastic insert to "bridge" the canyon and this would do a lot to improve the Baikal appearance wise.

Would I buy a MP-94/ Baikal? You bet, I hear a lot of nice things about accuracy, and ruggedness, however; I would prefer it in a rimmed cartridge since I'm not to sure how reliable long term these weapons are with rimless extraction. BUT it would never be my first choice unless I felt I could not come up with the cash for a Valmet or an Italian made version of the Valmet. Balance, handling qualities and appearance do count for something. If I found one at a gun show under $500 I'd probably buy it regardless of caliber configuration.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about one in 12ga and 7X57R with a scope mount? wink

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here is a better priced Heym similar to the one on Gunbroker at twice the money-
at Martini & Hagn in Canada:

Heym 22 ST . This little combination rifle is 16 Gauge ,22Win Mag . It has 23 1/2 inch barrels , 14 1/4" Length of pull . It has "coin finish " receiver . Manual cocking with rear trigger , very safe set up with also sliding tang safety on stock . Barrel selector . This handy little gun weighs 7 lbs with scope . Overall length 39 " ,. ed . Very handy .claw mounted , NORRIS, fixed four scope , Reticule post and heavy duplex . Slight "low grade" handling marks on stock (a few light scratches but not through the finish ) Overall condition very good . Blueing wood , metal , bore ; very good !

Price 2400 .CAD

Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just wanted to say thanks, you guys made this informative, and interesting - 'preciated!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is a decent buy on a high quality drilling with some bells & whistles not readily noticed.

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=267498798

It has the bullet trap, an expensive option, and it is set up to shoot rimmed or rimless 8MM ammo. It is a bit higher grade gun, also.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,507
Posts18,472,347
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.