-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For on line shopping just open a second account and maintain the minimum allowable. Then when you are going to make an on line purchase just transfer the amount of the purchase into your second account. if your card gets hacked there is nothing they can take. It works.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Shreck, I tried googling it earlier but my PI skills suck.

What is it, gas station, whore house?

Full page translation (use the little scroll button over on the right side): http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...cionarios%2fsinaloa%2fculiacan%2f3262403

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw a second bank account balance and number on my Wells Fargo account a few years ago. A phone call to them accomplished nothing. (Neither account was moving either direction.) WF immediately shut down my access to the internet service upon the other guy notifying them of the problem however. Ironically, I was the one with more balance and activity. WF claimed there had been a data entry error which was their fault. So much for confidence in big banks, not that I ever had much.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
September 2011 I had two separate $250.00 unauthorized charges on my debit card. I was out of town at deer camp and my wife called me and asked if I had made those charges. I said how? I am in the middle of no where and have no computer. She told me about it and I was pissed. The unauthorized charges were to facebook in California. I don't even belong to facebook, still have not figured it out. I had to file a claim with my credit union and they investigated it. They did reverse the charges and continued their fraud investigation. Have not heard anything else about it. They sent me a new debit card with a new pin number.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by joken2

Full page translation (use the little scroll button over on the right side): http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...cionarios%2fsinaloa%2fculiacan%2f3262403

Interesting, thanks for link and translations everyone. That is useful info for the police, at least might help narrow things down if other local people had a similiar problem(which they did).

Last edited by SamOlson; 01/05/12.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks SamO! *burp* >grin<

Refried beans do that to a fella.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope they catch the bastard Sam.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mako25
Thanks SamO! *burp* >grin<

Refried beans do that to a fella.

laughin'!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know I'm a simpleton, but educate me fellas.

Say the guy at the gas station, or the waiter at the restuarant writes down my credit card number. Then what do they do with it? They can't go to an ATM or gas pump because they don't have the card. If they order anything online, they have to ship it to an address right? So how do they effectively use it? I'm sure its simple, I guess I'm to honest to think of a way of cheating the system.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shreck

I've been in a barbershop/whorehouse but never a gas station/whorehouse, sounds like a good business model, fill her up and go.

Ha!!!!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They can clone a card, it is not as simple as writing down the number, they use a small scanner to get all the info from the magnetic strip on the back.

Daughters got hacked 5 years ago and it took her some 18 months to get her money back.

On the internet they just claim gift and the delivery address of their choosing.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
You can by scanners that fit in your pocket. Swipe someones card and it stores the card info. Watch 'em enter a pin and your off to the races.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have had it happen last year. It's way easier than you think for someone to get your number. You don't even have to use the card and someone can get the number. Someone could have randomly generated it by computer. Any time your number is entered or scanned someone can get it. They could have had your number for years before trying to use it. It's kinda scary. You will never know how they got your info...

Public landowner...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bea175
I lot of time this breach occurs when some waiter takes your card when you pay for dinner and write down the info off your card and the three digit security number off the back.
Yep.. Or they'll use a skimmer to swipe the card and steal the number..

That's why I always pay in cash in any restaurant in or around the Twin Cities..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a way to tell your about to get hacked is if you see a small incidental charge go thru, like $1.05 to something you have no idea what it is (not to be confused with gas stations that do this for some odd reason)

They (the hackers) are "testing the waters" so to speak to see if the card number they have is good and will work. If it does, they're about to go online and buy a ton of stuff until its gets shut down.

I had my number hacked -it was randomly generated from someone in Russia about 4 years ago. The good news is I think the laws say you are only responsible for $50.

The guy that had my number tried to buy about $1500 worth of computer stuff from an online store that I was a customer of. They recognized my name/number and got suspicious when it was being shipped to a new address.

Last edited by KFWA; 01/06/12.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The problem is that Visa is making a fortune off us using their cards.. They need to figure out a way to keep us safe from fraud. BTW, I check my online banking/cards daily.

Last edited by Calvin; 01/06/12.
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
To me a debit card should be way safer than a regular credit card. You do need a pin # afterall. The problem is, you don't need to use it as a debit card you can use it as a credit card. I tried this the other day at the gas pump. It asked credit or debit. I always press debit and put in my pin #. This time, I hit credit and the transaction went through. It even allowed me to put more money than if it were done as a debit. It usually cuts off at 75.00. It let me go beyond that. Debit cards should not be allowed to be used as credit. If you don't have the pin #, you shouldn't be allowed to use the card. My debit card # was stolen and they used it at a gas station. A few hundred dollars later, and the bank shut the card down. Had they needed a pin # this wouldn't have happened. They used it as a credit card by simply saying credit instead of debit.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think you are referring to a "check" card. If it has a visa logo, it can be used as a credit card too.

Keep your daily withdrawal limit low for cash. You can also keep you daily spending limit set low too. That will minimize damage if someone does get your numbers.

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have two debit cards from two different banks. One is visa one is master card. Both say debit on the front, and both have been used as a credit card instead of debit. Should still need a pin to activate a transaction. But I agree, I only use them for small purchases and gas.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I saw a second bank account balance and number on my Wells Fargo account a few years ago. A phone call to them accomplished nothing. (Neither account was moving either direction.) WF immediately shut down my access to the internet service upon the other guy notifying them of the problem however. Ironically, I was the one with more balance and activity. WF claimed there had been a data entry error which was their fault. So much for confidence in big banks, not that I ever had much.

wells fargo, right. Few years ago my wife gets an email looks like from the wells fargo site and answers some questions. Next morning early i am on line, and notice a large sum moving from the line of credit to the checking to another wells fargo checking. I start calling their security and it takes two or three hours cause they ain't open. I checked the source of the email under properties and it was a south american military base. The bank shut down my internet access and froze accounts, i ended up talking to three different states. They eventually made it good. But what really irritated me my wife were maintaining two joint accounts, one for her, one for me. when she went in to reopen her account, they wanted to charge for it when there had never been any charges. And the woman in the bank questioned my wife adding MY name to HER account. "women should always have their separate funds." I didn't think i needed the social planning on the part of the bank, so we went bye bye

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,505
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.