Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Picked up a pound of superformance powde the other day and decided to see if it is really a superformance powder. I have a good load worked up using IMR 4831 and the 168 gr barnes xlc moly bullets, I am getting 3114 fps with 70.2 gr, I figured that superformance would kick it's butt. Being that the barnes xlc's can be loaded a bit higher I started with higher charges, I have listed the results below, very dissapointing.

70 gr 2923

71 gr 3016

71.5 gr 3044

72 gr 3058

72.5 gr 3079

73 gr 3108

73.5 gr 3167 stiff bolt lift
3159 stiff bolt lift
3152 stiff bolt lift

I used winchester cases and winchester magnum primers, the last six rounds were fired with once fired cases, I have noticed that the winchester primers are very soft compared to CCi primers, even the starting load showed flat primers, the last three rounds the primers were as flat as a pancake. Loading data that I have from Hodgdon shows 72 gr produces 3273 fps with a nosler 165 gr partition. The barnes xlc bullets have always gotten me an extra 100 or more fps with a few more grains of powder without any signs of pressure. I plan trying this powder with the 165 ttsx, only thing that I can think of is that it was 38 degrees and maybe this powder does not slick bullets with slow powder in cold temps. If anyone out there has any advice or some experience with this powder I could appreciate some help.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W780 with CCI 250s. What Winchester loads in factory WSMs.

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's only a 300 WSM...it only has so much powder capacity and no matter what miracle powder it gets fed, it's only going to go so fast....3100 or thereabouts is about "it" with a 300 WSM and 165-168 gr bullets. That's what you're getting.....be happy. smile

IME "super" powders seem to give higher velocities in incremental bumps;not quantum leaps.At least not in hunting rifles and at safe pressures.

You might bump into some combo's that give another 50 fps or so,or some load data in a pressure barrel under controlled conditions,but I'd expect that would be more the exception than the rule.

If a guy wants materially more than those velocities from a 300 magnum and 165's,he should look at a case with more capacity.There are no free lunches.Case capacity rules about every time. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
D
i personal have drifted away from anything hornady says or does. ive heard alot of really good things about rl17 and 19. have you tryed those?

I hunt everying
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought a couple of pounds of Superformance specifically to try in my 300WSM. Turns out it absolutely refuses to shoot it with any sort of accuracy.

One thing I've noticed is that no one that has tried Superformance raves about its ability to shoot knots with any caliber.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dewartt
i personal have drifted away from anything hornady says or does. ive heard alot of really good things about rl17 and 19. have you tryed those?

dewartt: No, I have used H4350,RL15(lower velocity loads), and RL22 in the 300WSM.

72 gr RL22 gave me about 3130 with a 165 Partition.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
It's only a 300 WSM...it only has so much powder capacity and no matter what miracle powder it gets fed, it's only going to go so fast....3100 or thereabouts is about "it" with a 300 WSM and 165-168 gr bullets. That's what you're getting.....be happy. smile

It does not matter if we are talking 300 Savage,308 Winchester, 300WSM or any other cartridge. If the MFG advertises 200fps more velocity under the maximum pressure for that cartrdige, the powder should provide 75% of the increase or better; otherwise, it was pure marketing BS and false advertisement.

Maybe they did reach the advertised velocity for the test barre/rifle, but the powder is mass marketed so one instance is not sufficient to make the claim.

Using a cartridge with more capacity is NOT relevant so why bring it up?

Dave

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RDW

It does not matter if we are talking 300 Savage,308 Winchester, 300WSM or any other cartridge. If the MFG advertises 200fps more velocity under the maximum pressure for that cartrdige, the powder should provide 75% of the increase or better; otherwise, it was pure marketing BS and false advertisement.

Maybe they did reach the advertised velocity for the test barre/rifle, but the powder is mass marketed so one instance is not sufficient to make the claim.

Why bring it up? To illustrate the point that if you want to make a 300 WSM into a 300 Weatherby, the miracle powder won't do it....that's why I bring it up....and if you think it will, because some manufacturer says it will, then you are exactly the kind of person they want to sell it to....clearly, here, the miracle powder did not reach the 75% standard you mention. And if you want the extra velocity,the best way to get it is with a case having more capacity.That's why I brought it up..

Because (clue)there will be so much variance between their test barrels, and your hunting rifles across the board, that if you do get what they advertise, it's more a matter of luck than anything else.

And you will bump into many such examples like Freddy had, where pressure signs are reached way before the "promised" velocity increase is reached.

If 3100 from a 165 in a 300 WSM is pretty "standard",and you believe the miracle powder will give you 3300,safely,you also believe in the Easter Bunny.

I have worked with lots of miracle powders over the years, starting with the old Norma and H205's....the reason I don't fall into a swoon over any of them is that most of the "gains" came at the expense of over the top pressure,and the promised velocity gains were hardly ever seen.

Incremental gains? Yes....or reaching standard velocities with a bit less pressure?Yes.

But quantum leaps of 200 fps? Uhhh No....never.

You haven't done much handloading have you?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IME "super" powders seem to give higher velocities in incremental bumps;not quantum leaps.At least not in hunting rifles and at safe pressures.

You might bump into some combo's that give another 50 fps or so,or some load data in a pressure barrel under controlled conditions,but I'd expect that would be more the exception than the rule.

If a guy wants materially more than those velocities from a 300 magnum and 165's,he should look at a case with more capacity.There are no free lunches.Case capacity rules about every time. wink

Good words there my friend.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
300 WSM, 300 Win Mag, 300 H&H are all ballistic twins. Different loads with different powders and a 165-8 gr bullet all thit the wall at 3000-3200.
The fact that most only have 22-24" barrels doesn't help.
There is a reason long range rilfes have long barrels.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 165 with a good BC and construction doing 3100 will pretty much kick any soft targets azz smile

F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I have tried RL 17 and got up to 3119 fps with ok accuracy, so far my best load is 70.2 gr IMR 4831, it runs 3125 with one inch groups, I got up to 3150 but accuracy was not good. I am going to try the 165 gr ttsx and see if I can equal the groups that I get with IMR 4831 and the xlc bullet.

F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
May I add that Rl 17 was supposed to me a miracle powder but it failed in my 300wsm but it did provide some miracles in my 270wsm and 284.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW

Why bring it up? To illustrate the point that if you want to make a 300 WSM into a 300 Weatherby, the miracle powder won't do it....that's why I bring it up....and if you think it will, because some manufacturer says it will, then you are exactly the kind of person they want to sell it to....clearly, here, the miracle powder did not reach the 75% standard you mention. And if you want the extra velocity,the best way to get it is with a case having more capacity.That's why I brought it up..

Because (clue)there will be so much variance between their test barrels, and your hunting rifles across the board, that if you do get what they advertise, it's more a matter of luck than anything else.

And you will bump into many such examples like Freddy had, where pressure signs are reached way before the "promised" velocity increase is reached.

If 3100 from a 165 in a 300 WSM is pretty "standard",and you believe the miracle powder will give you 3300,safely,you also believe in the Easter Bunny.

I have worked with lots of miracle powders over the years, starting with the old Norma and H205's....the reason I don't fall into a swoon over any of them is that most of the "gains" came at the expense of over the top pressure,and the promised velocity gains were hardly ever seen.

Incremental gains? Yes....or reaching standard velocities with a bit less pressure?Yes.

But quantum leaps of 200 fps? Uhhh No....never.

You haven't done much handloading have you?

I have enough experience to believe a major manufacturer may fine tune a powder to reach maximum velocity within the length of a barrel (22"-24" non-magnum) and (24"-26" magnum) that provides more velocity than currently available powders or the powders of other manufacturers. And, using a powder marketed to provide increased velocity without increasing pressure beyond the cartridge limit is simply maximizing what the cartridge can provide within that case capacity.

I have bought one pound of Superformance and two pounds of RL17 that happened to suck ass in every rifle I ran it through with high pressure signs far below the max loads, I still have 3/4 pound in the second canister. The Superformance is un-opened but I will try it in my 300WSM.

If Superformance does not meet my expectations, you can bet it won't take me years of "working with miracle powders" to figure it out, maybe just a few months wink

Last edited by RDW; 01/10/12.

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Owning various 30 caliber mid range magnums (300 WSM, 300 Winnie, 300 H&H and 308 Norma), we can tell you that barrel length is is very important. For every inch of barrel (32" is our longest) you gain at least 50 fps shooting long range bullets.

The "expert" line that a 26" barrel is "unmanagable" has never owned one. 300 Magnums are not " brush guns" and especially, in a falling block single shot, a 28 or 30" barrel is no issue.

But, as a previous poster noted, a modern 165-8 gr bullet @ 3000+ fps will take any NA big game shot at an ethical range.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the insight into what the manufacturers are doing.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Interesting post, and made me want to confirm my results using Superformance powder.

So, I headed up the hill from my home set up the chrony and shot some freshly loaded rounds out of my Sako A7 300 WSM.

Here are the results from less than an hour ago.

165 GR. NOS PART 72.0 3273 63,500 PSI

165 Nosler Partition loaded to the above Hodgdon specs.
[Linked Image]

74.0 3410 63,500 PSI

I then shot 73.5 grain with a 150 Nosler AB
One half grain less than recommended.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I realize I'm -8 fps off the Hodgdon load data and probably should write them and moan and groan and belly ache about how they are screwing me over.

Naw...I think I'll eat this free lunch.
grin

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
that if you do get what they advertise, it's more a matter of luck than anything else.

You think I'm just lucky Bob?

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the insight into what the manufacturers are doing.

Go back and read it again, I said "may" and not "are"...

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,447 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,170
Posts18,484,590
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.