-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Advertising, gun writers, TV shows-------thats the real reason people want them. And, for the same reasons, the uniformed want
the 300 ultra super magnums. Bigger is better is the mentality of most.

I have a lot of guns...hence my ID, yet I gravitate to those that only kill at one end...(dont kill my shoulder at the other). Yesterday, I hunted with a 300 Savage in a Reminton 722, Friday afternoon I used a Savage 99 chambered in 250 Savage. Hmmm today I think I will use my ole Rem 742 ...hope the 30-06 is powerful enough.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Only accurate rifles are interesting.

I think someone once said that.

I was hoping someone who KNOWS would speak up but they haven't so far.

IIRC it was Warren Page who said that.
Jerry

No Sir, it was Townsend Whelen... wink

You mean Swampass is actually Townsend Whelen?! shocked

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Heaven Forbid...

Last edited by LBP; 01/08/12.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A common argument for a lever or pump is that you can get a 2d shot off faster. My comment to that is hit it right the 1st time and forget the 2d shot.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A lot of hunters can't make the first shot count........so much for the second shot.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A common argument for a lever or pump is that you can get a 2d shot off faster. My comment to that is hit it right the 1st time and forget the 2d shot.

You've never made a perfect shot in both lungs on and elk, and have it stand there looking at you? Sometimes a second shot is handy.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

And I've often wondered why those that hunt with a single shot carry more than one cartridge with them.

Lots of [bleep] can and will happen.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I can understand the attraction to other types of actions other than bolts. Some people can't really work a bolt very well.

Steve

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Steven_CO
I can understand the attraction to other types of actions other than bolts. Some people can't really work a bolt very well.

They usually trip a lot, and drop things too. wink

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Originally Posted by Steven_CO

They usually trip a lot, and drop things too. wink
grin

Steve

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
A lot of hunters can't make the first shot count........so much for the second shot.

Hmmm, I guess that's your experience.

For me it's about making the 2nd shot count when it's available.

[Linked Image]

David

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Canazes - You might be 'surprised' or ' shocked' how fast a second shot
can be fired with a BOLT action. It only takes familiarity (practice).

I don't believe in carrying any more weight than necessary in my rifles.
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now that I've put 30 years of deer hunting under my belt (Wasn't there supposed to be a party or something?) I feel like I can weigh in on this, at least as far as whitetail deer.

1) Second shots are nice. Not fumbling around to make a second shot is even better. I shoot, and if I can, I shoot again. The
most fire I had to lay into a buck was 3. I was in the process of chambering the 4th when he finally fell over. They all went into the heart lung area.

2) For normal deer hunting at normal deer distances, action is the least of the rifle hunter's worries. The rifle's accuracy is normally not going to be a problem for me either. I can live with a 4MOA rifle. Beginners need as accurate a rifle as possible to build confidence.

3) Of all the deer rifles I use, I think I like my Savage 99 (a lever) the best. I loved my Remington 742, but it broke my heart. If I really had to pick a favorite deer rifle action, it would be an exposed hammer lever like the Marlin 336. My dream gun would be a pump-action with an exposed hammer like a WIN 1897 shotgun. For treestand hunting, I like an exposed hammer that gives you that extra half-cock safety.

4) Bolt actions are fine for deer hunting. I usually take one when I'm going to hunt pastures. I don't buy the inherent accuracy chestnut, but mine has the better optics on it and it also has a stock length and barrel length better suited to my afternoon sits in the blind.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Canazes - There is a 'technique' to operating a bolt action rifle that is secure and 'faster' than the way some do it.

I've seen even this year a 'pro' hunter on a name brand deer hunting show doing what a lot of hunters do. When/after a shot he grabs the bolt handle/knob with his FINGERS and then raises the bolt. He has SLIPPED more than once and lost control of the bolt.

The more secure and FASTER way to operate the bolt is 'after' the shot, rotate your hand so that the PALM is UP and fingers are up. Raise the bolt with the hand (palm) up and drag back, rotate wrist and PUSH bolt with WHOLE hand.

With JUST A LITTLE practice is becomes NATURAL and faster than you'd expect. I've used this technique longer than I can REMEMBER, and it is a natural reaction. I don't ever think about it whether I need a second shot or not.

Now don't get me wrong, I HAVE pumps and levers and 1 semi auto Ruger 10-22. However I never feel disadvantaged or handicapped hunting a bolt action.

If you have a bolt action rifle of any caliber give it a try a few times. You can see and feel the security of bolt operation and with practice it is fast.

edited to add: I errr, my wife has a Nylon 66 & I inherited my Dad's Rem 552.

Last edited by jwall; 01/10/12.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My Dad always used a .35 Rem Marlin. He was amazed when he shot with me one day and saw me work the my bolt action like jwall mentioned. He laughed after seeing it then trying it and said "it should have been common sense to do it that way"....but sometimes we miss the obvious.

Edited to add......it was reading a post by Mule Deer that I learned the "obvious" way to work a bolt....

Last edited by JCMCUBIC; 01/10/12. Reason: credit to Mule Deer for the obvious
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
JCM - Yeah, while I was writing that, I remembered 'someone' posting it a while back. Honestly didn't remember who, but I 'shoulda known'. Mule Deer SEEMS to know his stuff. grin laugh
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have numerous bolt rifles. I hunt with numerous bolt rifles. I most assuredly know how to operate them quickly and how to get off a quick second shot.

Anybody that thinks they can duplicate the speed of a good gas action autoloader w/ a bolt is badly delusional and apparently enjoys the sensation of self administered smoke in their nether regions.

I never said that an autoloader is always the best rifle for the job or that it's the only decent choice to hunt with. My post was in reply to the sentiment offered by a few that the only people that hunt w/ auto's are slinging lead around the woods because they don't know how to shoot. It's arrogant BS, "mine is better than yours - must be, I picked it!"

By the way, that Benelli weighs 7 pounds without the scope, it's not heavy, it carrys great! I put that scope on there because I've been using that rifle for night hunting, but it's very easy to set it up so that it weighs less than 8 pounds all up. I think some of the "auto's are $hit" crowd might be surprised at how it shoots:

[Linked Image]

Carry on with your "auto's are $hit and anyone who shoots them is a toothless hillbilly" discussion....

laugh

David

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Why do most hunters have some type of 4wd or truck with same instead of a Buick Regal, Ford Taurus or Chevy Malibu as a hunting vehicle?

Day in day out the bolt wins for durability, cartridge choices, scope mounting choices, accuracy over the long haul, simplicity of design, etc.

It has evolved into the position of the best hammer for the job.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well good morning to you too. Who put poison ivy in your jock strap?

If you will read my posts wilth a little less attitude, you'll find that I never insulted you or your rifle. My only point is that you don't have to have an auto loading rifle for a quick second shot.

"beauty is in the eye....". "one man's junk is .....". I could have been but WAS NOT critical or insulting of your R1. They are not my cup of tea, but neither is Starbucks coffee my choice. However it seems a lot of people like Starbucks, they stay in business.

Have a good day.
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Truth is most of us are casual hunters. We don't make a living with a rifle. We don't have it bouncing around in a scabbard 3months out of the year or home base it out of a tent or bounce it around in a boat for the better part of a season. We take care of them at the end of the day and not leave them sitting exposed to the whims of the elements for extended periods of time. We are not for the most part outfitters or guides who have other duties other than than worriying about will our rifle do its job when called on.

We don't have to count on them working going into the alders after a Bear that may or may not decide too play with us.

Those people for the most part relay on the proven dependability of bolts. I've seen pictures of the exception-not yet in real life-but they are just that.

Will levers, pumps and semis work for the majority of us? Definitely. However don't let that delude you into thinking they are the best.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 325wsm1, 35, 6mmbrfan, 12 invisible), 13,471 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,229
Posts18,544,004
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.