Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
I've been refinishing a M70 featherweight stock for a friend. It was coming along well, but lately I'm having a bit of a problem. I apply a light coat of tru-oil spray,rub it in with my fingers and let it sit overnight. The next day I sand lightly with some 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper,wipe with tack cloth and do another coat. It looks great for a bit, but once it dries there are sull streaks all through it. You don't see them from a couple feet away bit if you look close there are definite thin,dull streaks, almost like it didn't get any oil. I've tried thinner/thicker coats, same results.

I started off with the liquid Tru-oil, but it seemed a bit thick and didn't dry nice and smooth,so I switched to the aerosol. I've done probably 8-10 coats so far,and I'd like to be done with this thing. Any idea's of what I'm doing wrong? I stripped and sanded it before starting, did one coat,let it dry and then wet sanded with the oil. Since then, I've jsut been doing as described. Any help would be most welcome.

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
xclaro,

I've never used the aerosal, but I always get the coat on very very thin, using my fingertip as the applicator. I use 0000 steel wool between coats and have always had great results. I've never wet sanded between coats.

Regards,

Tony

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just redid an old 1931 Iver Johnson .22. I thin tru oil with mineral spirits wipe it on let it sit for a few minutes and wipe it off. 2 coats a day depending on humidity. Usally done in a week. Let it sit for about a month then rub it out with rottenstone and paste wax it. Thats what works for me.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I don't like Tru-Oil aerosol. Bought one can years ago, finally threw it away.

Sometimes projects for friends turn into albatrosses. BTDT and try to avoid too many of those. Finishing a stock is a lot more work than people realize when they "commission" you to do a "job" for them.

You may need to let it dry very well, then cut it down with steel wool, maybe 00 or 000 until it's evenly dull without any streaks. You may need to take it down to the wood. That will leave your base coat intact. Get a new, fresh bottle of Tru-Oil and start hand rubbing additional coats, using 0000 steel wool between. Let each coat dry overnight.

If that doesn't work, you may have to strip it down and start over. I've done that a few times.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wish I could offer a suggestion, but never done the aerosal thing.

1Minute
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Just had a thought. The aerosol could be putting some air in the Tru-Oil, which may be causing the streaks. Just guessing. I don't think aerosol Tru-Oil is a good idea, they seem to keep making it, meaning someone is still buying it... grin

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I've been refinishing a M70 featherweight stock for a friend. It was coming along well, but lately I'm having a bit of a problem. I apply a light coat of tru-oil spray,rub it in with my fingers and let it sit overnight. The next day I sand lightly with some 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper,wipe with tack cloth and do another coat. It looks great for a bit, but once it dries there are sull streaks all through it. You don't see them from a couple feet away bit if you look close there are definite thin,dull streaks, almost like it didn't get any oil. I've tried thinner/thicker coats, same results.

I started off with the liquid Tru-oil, but it seemed a bit thick and didn't dry nice and smooth,so I switched to the aerosol. I've done probably 8-10 coats so far,and I'd like to be done with this thing. Any idea's of what I'm doing wrong? I stripped and sanded it before starting, did one coat,let it dry and then wet sanded with the oil. Since then, I've jsut been doing as described. Any help would be most welcome.

I'm refinishing a Rem 700 stock with Tru-oil at this very moment and despite it being near 100F every day I find 24hrs isn't enough time to allow for it to cure properly between coats.

If I dont give it at least 48hrs to cure the previous coat will rub off with 0000 steel wool because its still too soft and hasn't cured properly.

I'd give it more time to cure before sanding.

With my stock I'm learning slowly but its coming along OK.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

After about 10-12 coats of Tru-oil I'm nearly finished.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It could be just the grain of the wood, I have a French Walnut stock I did, and the winter growth area is real tight grianed/pored, as most wood, the summer growth more opened pored as most wood, so till you fill all the pores it will looked streaked, and the closed/tight pored wood will start to layer on top, get a glossy look, and the open pored will still be absorbing the finish and looking dull, now is the time that seperates the men from the ametures!! You have to take off the layered coats off of the closed pore areas. and still keep adding finish fo the open pored areas. So make sure the finish is real dry and no tacky or gummy feeling. Take some real mineral sperits on a 0000 steel wool pad and rub the stock down to get rid of the surplus on the tight grained areas with out cutting into the wood, less is better, and a real light touch to the rub down.. then wipe off any excess, and let dry for a day or 2, stock must feel dry, no tacky feeling. THEN through away the spray on and get some liquid Tru Oil, or real linseed oil, not boild linseed oil, mix 2 parts Linseed oil to 1 part mineral spirits, put a few drops in the palm of you hand and rub it in all over the stock, add mixture as needed to keep a wet look, less is better, let soak in for a few hours, then with a damp cheese cloth of mineral spirits give a light rub to get any excess off, so the stock does not feel gummy anywhere, let dry for a day or too, in a warm place helps or a sunny window. the key here is to let dry, can not rush this, repeat untill all the wood pores are fill, then one or two coast with a long try time in between. An oiled finished stock is a thing of beauty but also a thing of work and patients!!! Until you get the thin top coat all over it will looked streaked because of the pores not all being filled. When done with a gloss/semi gloss look, the hard/soft growth will have a different accent as the light is on them , I wish I could take a pic of my stocks to show that

Last edited by BobnRoy257_b4_Bob257AI; 01/11/12.

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The trouble with Tru-Oil is it's not Lin-Speed oil. grin--- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
xcarlo,
just had a memory recall, in my remodeling business a client had custom kitchen cabenits done by another shop then the one I used, when delivered the finish on them was cloudy, they did a sprayed finish put on when it was a high humidity!!! I talked to them and they said yes a spray finish will get cloudy with high humidity. Now that was not out of a can, but in a spray booth, with a spray gun of mixed poly and air. Ya they had to redo them. Just a thought here.

Last edited by BobnRoy257_b4_Bob257AI; 01/11/12.

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bingo dingo! (Baaad, couldn't stop myself)

That was the trouble with my first attempt with Tru-Oil (in the bottle), not letting it dry long enough between applications. That and probably putting on too thick a coat. Actually it doesn't dry but polymerizes, short molecules react with oxygen in the air and link into long molecules. The surface reacts first and it takes time for oxygen to diffuse through the polymerized surface to the bottom of the coat. I probably compounded the problem by putting fresh "oil" over not fully polymerized coats which blocked oxygen from reacting with the under coats. The resulting finish wasn't fully hardened and was pulled out in places when steel wooled, leaving a streaky appearance. Boiled linseed and tung work that way too.

Unfortunately the cure is to remove the uncured finish, let whatever remains on the wood to set up completely, and begin again.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I never used the aerosol stuff but I did use the original Tru-oil to finish a walnut gun stock. I first used a paste filler and then used very thin coats of Tru-oil and let each coat dry 2 or 3 days before adding another coat. I think I used 10 coats in all and rubbed each coat with fine steel wool and then finished the job with paste wax.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BobnRoy257_b4_Bob257AI
It could be just the grain of the wood, I have a French Walnut stock I did, and the winter growth area is real tight grianed/pored, as most wood, the summer growth more opened pored as most wood, so till you fill all the pores it will looked streaked, and the closed/tight pored wood will start to layer on top, get a glossy look, and the open pored will still be absorbing the finish and looking dull, now is the time that seperates the men from the ametures!! You have to take off the layered coats off of the closed pore areas. and still keep adding finish fo the open pored areas. So make sure the finish is real dry and no tacky or gummy feeling. Take some real mineral sperits on a 0000 steel wool pad and rub the stock down to get rid of the surplus on the tight grained areas with out cutting into the wood, less is better, and a real light touch to the rub down.. then wipe off any excess, and let dry for a day or 2, stock must feel dry, no tacky feeling. THEN through away the spray on and get some liquid Tru Oil, or real linseed oil, not boild linseed oil, mix 2 parts Linseed oil to 1 part mineral spirits, put a few drops in the palm of you hand and rub it in all over the stock, add mixture as needed to keep a wet look, less is better, let soak in for a few hours, then with a damp cheese cloth of mineral spirits give a light rub to get any excess off, so the stock does not feel gummy anywhere, let dry for a day or too, in a warm place helps or a sunny window. the key here is to let dry, can not rush this, repeat untill all the wood pores are fill, then one or two coast with a long try time in between. An oiled finished stock is a thing of beauty but also a thing of work and patients!!! Until you get the thin top coat all over it will looked streaked because of the pores not all being filled. When done with a gloss/semi gloss look, the hard/soft growth will have a different accent as the light is on them , I wish I could take a pic of my stocks to show that

Winter "GROWTH" area???

Lefty Kreh the fly fisherman once said "There is more BS in flyfishing then a Kansas feedlot." He obviously never met a wood finisher.

Three absolutes:
Steel wool is a bad idea.
Solvents in oil are a bad idea.
Filling pores with "mud" is a bad idea.

Oil is applied heavily, allowed to set for 10-15 minutes and rubbed absolutely DRY with a lint-free cloth. If oil is too thick for that it has started to polymerize and should be used for non-technical finish or trashed. It is not suitable for a stock, period. Attempting to "rub it in" or any such thing does nothing positive for the process. While it "works", it gets there the hard way.

Finishes that do not cure hard enough in less than 12 hours, even under high humidity conditions, should be tossed.

Aerosol oil is an absurdity, at best...

Coats applied as described should not be sanded or reduced between coats. Multiple applications may need sanding if done improperly, but generally not even once on the typical finish job.

And that typical oil finish will shrink over time and telegraph pores... No matter what you do short of an epoxy or CA filler.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Bingo dingo! (Baaad, couldn't stop myself)

That was the trouble with my first attempt with Tru-Oil (in the bottle), not letting it dry long enough between applications. That and probably putting on too thick a coat. Actually it doesn't dry but polymerizes, short molecules react with oxygen in the air and link into long molecules. The surface reacts first and it takes time for oxygen to diffuse through the polymerized surface to the bottom of the coat. I probably compounded the problem by putting fresh "oil" over not fully polymerized coats which blocked oxygen from reacting with the under coats. The resulting finish wasn't fully hardened and was pulled out in places when steel wooled, leaving a streaky appearance. Boiled linseed and tung work that way too.

Unfortunately the cure is to remove the uncured finish, let whatever remains on the wood to set up completely, and begin again.

Not even close...

Fresh Tru-Oil is plenty cured for the next coat after 12 hours under virtually all conditions. Old oil may not be ready after a month. Truly fresh oil is ready to recoat in less than an hour.

It is not the length of the molecule but rather how the molecule links that makes the difference. The oil molecules are essentially all the same before curing.

Properly applied, oil is in very thin coats. Apply heavily, set for 10-15 minutes, and wipe dry.

Any oil finish may be set aside for a couple months under warm and dry conditions to fully shrink and then be finished over. Linseed and tung are essentially the same.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was wrong, molecules cross-link to make bigger molecules rather than longer ones. I can tell you with assurance that I had the same problems as the OP until I learned to apply thinner coats and have more patience between coats. And the Tru-Oil had not thickened in the bottle though there's no way to tell how many days transpire between when it was made and when you buy it. The wipe dry method is a pain in the butt because, in my experience and I tried it more than once, Tru-Oil starts to tack up before I can evenly apply it to the entire stock and then you have a mess. Works for me with BLO and pure tung though. Perhaps it's that different techniques work for different people as woodworkers with much more experience than I have observed.

Some believe steel wool is a bad idea, others don't. Pick your poison. Unless I'm using the finish as a filler, or screw up, I don't use either steel wool or sandpaper after de-whiskering. Same with solvents in base coats. I happen to agree with you there.

-----------
Get a little grouchy when I can't sleep, don't I. wink

Last edited by nighthawk; 01/12/12.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by xxclaro

It sounds to me that you are sanding through the very thin layers in places and that is causing the streaking.

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Use steel 0000 steel wool instead of sanding between coats.

DF

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If your application is getting too tacky to remove easily, you are trying to do too large of an area at a time. Nothing saying you have to do the whole stock at once.

If you are not wiping the oil dry after applying, in effect what you are doing is varnishing, with a darn poor varnish.

There is no substitute or shortcut for proper pore filling before starting the oiling schedule, ie: with epoxy or high quality varnish. Trying to achieve grain-fill with "oils" is a fools errand- it may well be accomplished but will indeed telegraph through with time, or wash out entirely the first time the stock receives a good soaking. Stock finishing is like life in general- you get out of it what you put in. It is a tedious time-consuming job that can't be rushed or shortcutted.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The oil is not dry/cured. I slather on tru oil and give it at least a week for it to dry than sand with 400, assuming the stock was properly sanded before you started. I avoid steel wool as I have founud that after time the fibers that have inbed them self in the finish tend to give the stock a dull look.

After you knock down the DRY oil it will look dull, re-apply sanding after every coat so the new oil has something to "grab on to". If you are going to checker the stock and dont sand bettween coats it can flake off.

I give em a final coat of poly when there a full fill.

Looks like this when done.........

[Linked Image]

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
IMHO, steel wool fibers will embed only if the Tru-Oil is green. Fibers in the finish doesn't seem to be an issue if the Tru-Oil is completely dry. Just comes off as a fine powder, removed with a clean rag, ready for the next coat.

What we're seeing, IMHO, is the diversity of stock finishing technique rather than a study of Tru-Oil as a product. Used right, it's pretty good stuff.

I use Pro-Oil from Brownells, a tung oil/urethane product, as the base coat and as the final coat, Tru-Oil as the filler. Pro-Oil gives a tougher finish than Tru-Oil, which dries faster and is easier to work with, filling the pores.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,022 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,468
Posts18,508,386
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.