Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I think we should collectively work on the differences between: they're, their, and there before we tackle rifle nomenclature.

Travis

Good luck with that endeavor and Uncle Rico (aka logcutter). Guess you won't be tackling rifle nomenclature 'til your next life. He could pay it forward though by teaching the difference between clip and magazine. Only because he's served...

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"If it doesn't work, I can always sale it in the classified..."

Drives me nuts.

Me

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Love when they leave the plug out! : blush

Uhhh, Bob, how'd you know from up there in NH???? I live in Ark. blush shocked grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hmm. I work with words, and have learned some stuff about it over the years.

One of the basics is that all modern languages are living things. They change all the time, the reason dictionaries change--because dictionaries aren't derived from a panel of experts, but by "common usage." If a lot of people say "caliber" for "cartridge," then that's common usage. Someday soon caliber will probably be dictionary-listed as a synonym for cartridge.

By the way, neither my Webster's Unabridged or my compact copy of the Oxford English Dictionary make any differentiation between "revolver" and "pistol," something many shooters get nit-picky about.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's it say about "roscoe" or "heater"?

Me

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the basics is that all modern languages are living things. They change all the time, the reason dictionaries change--because dictionaries aren't derived from a panel of experts, but by "common usage."

To what extent does that carry? Will their, there, and they're someday be listed as synonyms because they're (or is it their, or there?) commonly misused?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

By a barrel in 7x64Brenneke (caliber? cartridge? i don't know but it obsoleted the 7x57)and you'll get a good hunting rig for a real rifle loony in the US of A...
Dom laugh

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by wind_drift
Why do otherwise sensible and nitpicky rifle loonies keep using the term "caliber" when referring to a chambering? It's particularly incongruent behaviour amongst folks who often engage in lengthy and passionate debates about some pretty obscure, esoteric topics?

Odd...

Gotta say it kinda bugs me too.

Maybe it's just a more "folksy" way to say cartridge... sort of like calling antlers, "horns."

Can't stand that one myself

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Caliber and cartridge are very accurate and desciptive words but just don't seem to roll off the tongue.

However, 30-06 caliber bugs the schit out of me.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
As a technical word "caliber" refers to bullet diameter. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

In the local area where I grew up any soft drink was "a coke". Obviously that was incorrect. But it was a common usage then and there.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

cal�i�ber (kl-br)
n.
1. Abbr. cal.
a. The diameter of the inside of a round cylinder, such as a tube.
b. The diameter of the bore of a firearm, usually shown in hundredths or thousandths of an inch and expressed in writing or print in terms of a decimal fraction: .45 caliber.
c. The diameter of a large projectile, such as an artillery shell, measured in millimeters or in inches.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Yup, years back I spent a couple of summers doing angler surveys at lakes. The boat launch rodeo was a highlight. I suspect many divorce proceedings have been initated at a boat launch.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Have seen towing vehicles very nearly completely submerged. Once saw an old guy at a launch ramp trying to mount the outboard motor to the transom; it slipped off and he grabbed the oily rope that was tied to it but, no matter how much he squeezed, the rope continued to slip through his fingers until it just disappeared!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hear in WI, Memorial day weekend kicks of the boating seeson. I spend at least one day of it at the ramp. Being a boater myself, and never left the plug out, straps on, ect, because I undo everything and then make a 360 around the boat and truck rechecking, befour backing down the ramp. The won I luv is the first tyme out for the seeson, get it started, back off the ramp, go about 20 yards, it dyes, crank a bit, then battery dyes, then they figure out gas line is not open/vent, never charged up the battery from all winter storage. Then have to padle back and wate for an open spot at the peer.

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Bro Keith,

I sometimes wonder where some of the folks on here went to school. shocked

I, myself, went to some pretty podunk schools in my time. Yet in spite of that, I successfully managed to gradigiate (sp) from High School. I, also learned: Proper punctuation, reasonable grammar, and Bismillah; I EVEN learned to spell... smile

And all this with an I.Q. about 4 points above the average eggplant... grin

Also, I have heard of the "Dumbing Down" of America... Not only that, I have seen literal proof... grin

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Grass Hopper,
I went to a Catholic grade school with nuns, it made me a better person, BUT i never have developed great spelling, and here my ISpell does not work, or it is this damn Vista. I totally agree with the dumbming down, Here in Milwaukee 50 of the kids do not graduate from HS, and most of the ones that do are at about a 10th grade level compared to years back. Demand less, you get less!!!
Anyway was reading my 49 Edition Lyman reloading manual, they use caliber in place of cartridge in the area of talking about different primers affecting PSI and MV in "different Calibers", which in fact they would/could, but I think they meant cartridges.

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
What's a Muzzle Break ?

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nothing has changed for the better since the 1940s. I'm talkin' 'bout Nosler Partitions and bolt action 30-06s. Something 30 calibre chambered in something steel. Tr�s tubular.

It's depressing, ya know! Hell, I'd throw myself off a bridge, but they haven't changed them since the 1500s. Besides, it's the same old water, drank by, bathed in or peeeeeed in by countless long dead humans. Some famous, others not.

It's disgusting to think that I have put tapileen to my lips that was shat upon by a water buffalo in Africa. Who wants anything to do with Africa? Oh wait, my wife's from there. Nevermind.

30-06s or 7.62 x 63mm: In the end, they're all the same. They are identical to a plunge router, only they are powered with propellant, not 'lectricity and the bullets aren't called bits. But both have points and come off. Granted, routers are cheaper than rifles, but they are more difficult to use properly and aren't much good in a bar fight (unless you've got an extension cord). Come to think of it, I never used a router in any fights when I was posted to Europe.

But anyway, back to the rifles. They aren't like your lips or baby beef liver. They don't adapt to, or wrap around things. Rifles have to be chambered. Like a French upstairs maid or something...

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

By the way, neither my Webster's Unabridged or my compact ...

OMG, John! I can't believe you used or with neither. Tell me it was just a typo! blush

Jerry

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Steve, you may not post often but, when you do, it's a humdinger.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,447
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.