Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
But load development, as Royce said, for a Tikka consists of putting a cartridge in one.....
Yep, that's how they work. Great hunting tools. I have two of the older 595/695 Tikka's and they're the most consistently accurate factory rifles I've ever owned. By that I mean they shoot anything you stuff in their chambers sub MOA. Never had to do a darn thing to either of them to get there either. Just mount scopes, load and shoot. Too bad nobody else can seem to get that right except by accident on rare occasions.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't like the newer Tikkas because I got sold on the Older Tikkas from back in the late 80s early 90s...

same with the older Sakos....

any free Savages show up in your shop Ingwe, feel free to call me.. I'll get those out of your hair.. especially if they are a Predator Model...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I know they shoot, and shoot well...but I also know earthworms will catch fish...I just can't bring myself to use one....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I know they shoot, and shoot well...but I also know earthworms will catch fish...I just can't bring myself to use one....

yeah Ingwe, even tho you and I may not have the same tastes.. I have to yield and admit.. you have a way with words...that easily explain your perspective...

dat be why you'b da Poobaa...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Let's just say the boundaries of my Hypocrisy are usually ill-defined..... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tell's me they have no panache, and no soul...

Ahhh, cough, cough...Tom, what about the grand old 6.5x55 SE?

As to answer the OP's question, get the Tikka. See this thread for some of my Tikka comments: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._the_more_i_look_at_the_tikk#Post6025204

BTW, I thought my 30'06 T3 was a great hunting rifle, I just replaced it with a better one: a SS Tikka T3 in 6.5x55...

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A sample of one is just that... My buddy bought the LH SS Savage in 30-06 when they came out with the new stock design. He couldn't get it to shoot with several different factory loads, so I offered to handload for it. He was dead set on shooting factory loads, so sent the rifle back to Savage. They shot a 5 shot group with factory match ammo close to 3in, then sent the target and rifle back to him stating it passed their accuracy test. He was so pissed, he got in the truck and went to a local gun shop to trade it for a 700. Took a big loss, but luckily the 700 shot sub moa with factory ammo.

At least Tikka has an accuracy gtty. How many folks do you hear saying T3s don't shoot?

All factory rifles are a gamble when it comes to accuracy, some just less of a gamble than others.

Good Luck,

loder

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN

BTW, I thought my 30'06 T3 was a great hunting rifle, I just replaced it with a better one: a SS Tikka T3 in 6.5x55...

Bob: I will concede...on the panache scale, the 6.5 is above the '06......( but below the 7x57... whistle )

grin

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN

Bob: I will concede...on the panache scale, the 6.5 is above the '06......( but below the 7x57... whistle )

grin

The 6.5s (.260 especially) have panache out the azz grin . I haven't figured out if the 7x57 is for sophisticates or those who have caught the gay. I'll likely never find out.....

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well gents, it seems the consensus here for the most part is for the Tikka. Marlin was mentioned, but remember bearkiller kills bears with his left hand, and unless I missed it somewhere Marlin doesn't cater to southpaws. Otherwise I'd have already sold him on the Marlin. I like Rugers, they just don't have as smooth an action as my Marlin, but bearkiller - when you make it home on leave if you're up in our neck of the woods, stop by my place. I'll tell the missus to let you go play with my 22-250 for a while so you can get a feel for the Ruger.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Sounds good matt I will most def. look into that. You know I plan on trying for my first WA state blackie this summer as well depending on my R&R dates and such. But seems the Tikka is what people are giving the +1 to. As for doing barrel swaps and such I do not plan on hunting anything that requires more than a 30-06 and we all know from first hand experience a 1000+lb brown bear will fall to a well placed shot with a .06 smile

[Linked Image]

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
here is the shot group from my mossberg 4x4 30-06 @ 100 the stray round was the first shot when I was setting the zero on it. The gun sadly is falling apart after well over 200 rounds through it and a abusive prior owner. She served her purpose well though and dropped 2 nice black bears last year. All rounds I sent through it were the winchester XP3 which were dead on and never failed me.
[Linked Image]

The rifle is one of the tightest tack drivers I have ever shot and I was hitting the same groups at 300yd there are a total of 5 shots taken on this target first shot was low and left so made a adjustment second two were to see where it was while making adjustments to the scope with the final result 1/2 high @ 100

Last edited by BearKiller; 01/17/12.

[Linked Image]

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (3333vl, 44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.