Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is equal risk on both sides.

That would be my assessment as well but it seems as if the consensus here at the fire is that, my goods are worth more than your money, or else I am the only one that is not a crook. You pick. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
There is equal risk on both sides.

That would be my assessment as well but it seems as if the consensus here at the fire is that, my goods are worth more than your money, or else I am the only one that is not a crook. You pick. miles

What you fail to realize is you are speaking in generalities in regards to the seller. I am speaking of myself and what I am selling specifically. I know I have it for sale, I don't know if the buyer is legitimate.

He doesn't know any more about me than I do him, so there lies the risk. When I know the money is good, I send the item, if he has a problem with my legitimacy, he has the option to not buy.

I can only control the transaction from my end, I know what I have and I wait for funds. It is the best way as a seller to stay secure. Remember the original question "Would you ship before payment?" it has nothing to do with the question of of who is more honest, but how you handle such a transaction and keep from losing out.

I do have records of bad checks, they do exist and believe it or not, people do lie and cheat.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife once sent a rifle to the ATF in Atlanta. They in fact did remove the packed bolt and ship it back to me with it rattling around in the box. I contacted the buyer and sent him pics...offered to refund his trade but he went forward and I shipped it to him as I should have the first go round.

Things happen....Lesson learned.

Bruz

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bruzer
My wife once sent a rifle to the ATF in Atlanta. They in fact did remove the packed bolt and ship it back to me with it rattling around in the box. I contacted the buyer and sent him pics...offered to refund his trade but he went forward and I shipped it to him as I should have the first go round.
HUH??!!!

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I feel the person I am shipping too is a trusted member on this site then I have no problem shipping it before I get payment. I've done it several times and have never been burned.

Include the shipping in the price, it makes the transaction easier IMO.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yes....

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I did it today, hopefully it dont come back and bite me!!!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Have had a couple people on this site say payment on the way and never heard back from them. Left pm's and posts and no reply. Just a buyer/seller beware kind of thing. I wont ship until Money clears my account. Unless have done business with the buyer before. Just have to cover your own butt. Always a few bad apples on the tree. Just my 2 cents. Thanks Rich Good Disscussion

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would not tell someone to do it,but I have done so,when everything seemed right with the buyer.Check whatever history he has,then bucket up and go with your gut....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He doesn't know any more about me than I do him, so there lies the risk.

I fully understand your position. I an commenting that with this method the buyer assumes all of the risk. That would lead one to assume that, sellers think that as a whole they are more trustworthy than buyers. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just completed yet another great transaction today. MO and stuff were both sent on the same day, MO and stuff were both received on the same day. That's the way they all oughta play out.

shrapnel, I'm thinking we had a similar transaction back in Dec. Your check got lost in my truck for a while, just found it and cashed it yesterday.

cheers...

Black Cows Matter!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by boatboy
Originally Posted by nimrodtracy
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ship. I always list price as shipped.

Never understood XYZ $300 plus $25 shipping, just say $325 shipped.

+1

Well one reason for me anyway is there are a lot of Michigan guys here and I travel alot. There has been many times that a guy will meet up with me and save us the shipping

Its almost a courtesy with the price of time and fuel some times it cost more in the end, but Oh well maybe a cup of coffee and BS make it well worth it

Hank

Jesus H. Christ, guess I should mention in my post that it's an extra $50 if you expect me to put up with your company.

Some damn stupid folks on here. No wonder Obama is president.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Jesus H. Christ, guess I should mention in my post that it's an extra $50 if you expect me to put up with your company.
I'd pay it.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muleshoe
shrapnel, I'm thinking we had a similar transaction back in Dec. Your check got lost in my truck for a while, just found it and cashed it yesterday.

cheers...

Good luck cashing that check, Ha Ha...

For those that still want to send their item before payment is secured, here is a check I got that literally wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. If you do transactions, buying or selling, you have to be ready to survive a total loss or don't do it...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I don't think I'll read all the post post. I have in the past sent out items in the $20.00 to $50.00 range and the response from the buyer was nothing but, it's my pleasure to know there are trusting and honest people still out there. But to be safe get the flat rate boxes and tack on the $9.95 or $14.95 shipping. most understand. Heck even Amazon is starting to charge shipping, plus it helps the USPS keep it's head above water.

A bore is a man that opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. -Henry Ford.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I ship before payment on most stuff I sell but most of the stuff is under $150 but I have been lucky and have had buyers that have been on the "Fire" for along time, never been burned, and I appreciate the honest people here!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by fellas2
I'm currently compiling and extensive list during my winter gunroom cleanup that i'll be posting later this week.Mylist will contain everything from optics and stocks to ammo,brass,bullets and mounts.My dillema lies in shipping all of these packages and what to charge.I don't really want to make a profit on shipping but i don't want to lose money either.Being a trusting person at heart,would you ship the item first and then ask for the sale price to include actual shipping or just throw a number at it and hope for the best.By the way,my first transaction on the fire was a Rem 700 barreled action that was shipped before payment was made.

Use the USPS 'Flat-Rate' boxes.. You'll know for sure what the shipping is and you can get paid upfront before ship.. Unless you know the person on the other end, I'd get paid first, ship second..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,731
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.