Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm proud to come from a long line of Pennsyltukians.
The family tree is very straight!
We only got out of the hills for WWII.
LOL

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of ethnic influences on "PA-speak". Anything from eastern Europeans, to da Amish. Some of it blended together over many generations. Been exposed to most of them.

Once worked for Bethlehem Steel in Steelton (near Harrisburg). Most of the ethnic groups "stuck together" at meal time, but I often bounced around, ate with most of them while working there.

That little town had just about every European ethnic group represented and at one time, each group had its own Catholic church and social club. The Diocese long ago consolidated most of the churches, but the clubs remain. And as noted previously above, most belonged to more than one ethnic social club and attended all the picnics. Beer, good eats, polkas and more beer.

Noticed years ago, that much of northern Indiana, Wisconsin, western NY and northcentral PA, have similar accents. Was in Elkhart, IN once and thought I was back in northcentral PA, where my dad is from and where I still hunt. Most pronounce "on" as "ahn", fog as fahg, etc.

'Course my maternal Granny always had her a "flahr" garden out back.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jericho
I havent had an Iron City beer in a long time.

You really haven't missed anything! lol

Stush
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My grandmother "warshed" her laundry

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot

Another term for poaching was "speed beef".

Pa at one time possibly could have laid claim to the poaching capital of the U.S.
Then again we had more than alot of Deer at one time. Growing up it was nothing to count over a hundred a day in the mountain counties. Herds of 40 and 50 where a common sight and in the fields you could often spotlight hundreds in a single evening.

Haven't heard that term used for a while. Had an acquaintance who was the friend of a cousin and his rifle looked more than beat up and I asked him about it. His reply was; "If you had been thrown out of a car as many times as that rifle has, you wouldn't look all that great either."

Addition: 10 plus years ago the head of the GC was booted out.
The reason? Poaching Deer, among others. smirk

http://pgchallofshame.com/news/news6.htm

Last edited by battue; 01/27/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think the PA term that always got the biggest WTF from people was when I asked for a gum band.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Didja PennDOT's having a big lay-off? Seems some Chinese guy invented a shovel that stands up by itself.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
...he said he served in the 8th Air Force in Britain in WWII. I mentioned it was my understanding that my grandfather was also in Britain with the 8th Air Force during that time. The gentleman didn't recall my grandfather by name, but did say they had a lot of "Pennsyltuckians" over there.

I just had the honor and priviledge of interviewing a gentleman that was a tail gunner who flew 35 missions with the 8th Air Force.

Instead of a typical back and forth Q&A interview, I just led with "Harry, tell me a little bit about what you did back then." And that was pretty much all I said for the next hour. He just wanted to talk, and tell his story, on his own. His wife, daughter-in-law, and grandson were there as well. We all just sat and listened. What a fantastic experience...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Pop = soda

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Having grown up in Youngstown Ohio I recognize many of the phrases that crossed the state line. Lots of other fond memories of Pa.
I saw Emerson,Lake and Palmer's first US show at Thiel College in Greenville, the prettiest girl I didn't marry was from New Brighton
in the heart of the "Beaver Valley". We liked to go to "Frenchy's" restaurant in Pittsburgh.
Anybody remember the "Garden Gate Restaurant" on 224 west of Butler? best buffet ever at the time.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
Originally Posted by rem141r
Originally Posted by boswellbuckhunter
[quote=Partagas]My dad's family is from Holsopple near Boswell and Jerome between Johnstown and Somerset. He and both of brothers moved out to Wyoming in the late 60's. I then grew up hearing the accents and eating gobs. Red the table, a rift is apparently a belch.

Tell your family I said hello....I'm betting I know them?????????????
I was born and raised and still live in Boswell. Spent alot of time in Jerome and Hollsopple drinking beer and playing softball............

drank many a beer at the Kings & Queens and Emerald Inn on way to camp. that burger king in boswell is the dirtiest fast food restaurant i was ever in. they must be paying the health dept off or something.

Is gas 'still 85 cents a gallon' at that gas station by that burger king??

they finally put another business in there and took down the 85 cent gas sign. it was there for many years though and i'm sure made a few folks jump. i hear the only cop in jennerstown is also the night manager at that filthy burger king.

My diploma is a DD214
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I ate at the Garden Gate when I was a kid. I'd forgotten all about that place. Wasn't it on 422 though, not 224?

Dale

This space for rent

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Having grown up in Youngstown Ohio....Anybody remember the "Garden Gate Restaurant" on 224 west of Butler?

Originally Posted by Dale K
Wasn't it on 422 though, not 224?

Yep, it is 422.

224 is over near Youngstown however, so maybe that's the thing that caused the little hiccup in memory.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Diesel
I live near Tidioute and Tionesta.

Pronounced Tiddy-Youte and Ti-o-Nesta

I use to own land near Tionesta on Iran Furnace road.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Dad, and his buds had a camp near Hearts Content. High school pal of mine's family's camp was near McGee Run. Fond memories of both places. My buddy wound up moving up to the Warren area. Married a local gal, and is still there. I really liked the Emporium area. One of my Dad's co-workers at West Penn Power, transferred up there, and we visited and hunted up there a bit. They're all gone to the Happy Hunting Grounds now.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TomSmith
I was born in Erie. Some of this is familiar. I always call cold-cuts "lunch meat". I thought everybody did. My grandmother always called her purse a "pocketbook".

Erie is a town with plenty of ethnic private clubs. For a small city they probably have more private clubs than anywhere I've ever seen. I was just in Erie last summer and was at the Polish Falcon's Club for a breakfast fundraiser and none of us are Polish. My father was able to drink at their bar when he was 17.

Ox Roast and City Chicken, I think, are pretty unique Erie things.

Dont forget the rad-o-light.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hearts Content is a cool place. Love looking at all the old growth timber there.

These threads do stir up old memories.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rrroae
Hearts Content is a cool place. Love looking at all the old growth timber there.

These threads do stir up old memories.

That it is. The view from the Fire Tower (pronounced fire tire in PA speak!) was really something. Wonder if it's still there? If it is, I doubt a kid is allowed to climb it to take a look.

There used to be a bunch of guys who would pitch a big Army tent on a bed of straw near there, and spend the entire deer season there.

Jeff

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
About five years ago I did a "Route 6 trip" with a buddy of mine. We left his place in Centre County, drove up to the Drake Oil Well, spent the night in Erie and then took a couple of days to drive across the northern tier. We had to cut the trip short at Tunkhannock, and then came back through Hughesville to Centre County.
I really liked Warren and the Kinzua Dam area and also like the towns of Coudersport and Galeton, along with Emporium, which isn't on Route 6.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Having grown up in Youngstown Ohio....Anybody remember the "Garden Gate Restaurant" on 224 west of Butler?

Originally Posted by Dale K
Wasn't it on 422 though, not 224?

Yep, it is 422.

224 is over near Youngstown however, so maybe that's the thing that caused the little hiccup in memory.

You're correct, it was 422. I just remember the managers name was Shirley, and she was an incredible lady.
I had to go back and look at a map 224 and 422 converged in New Castle, speaking of New Castle is PO Lunch still in business?

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,368 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,864
Posts18,497,278
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.