-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got the same boots as dad (ole_270) posted above. The first 'good' boots I ever owned were the original Pronghorns, uninsulated, gf (wife now) bought them for me in 2005. I hunted them hard for everything. The pheasant fields really did a number on the toes, wore them through after a few years. They were the most comfortable boots I'd ever owned.

I wrote Danner a letter, saying I loved their boot for its comfort, but was dissapointed in the toe wearing through. They emailed me back saying to check out their new Pronghorns that solved that issue. A few months later there was a 'friends and family sale' that got released online, 50% off any Danner boots. That's when Dad and I both got the new version of the Pronghorns, mine as replacement, his as backup. I fully agree they're not as comfortable, the footbed just feels hard. That said, its not bad enough that I can't wear them, as I wore them last fall elk hunting in Colorado.

I also bought a pair of USA made Danner's off the classifieds here, hang tags still on them, for half price. They're the "Danner Hawk", 200 gram insulation. I don't like the suede leather on them, but the boots are fine otherwise. They're comfortable, possibly more so than the newest Pronghorns I've got. I switched between these and the Pronghorns on my elk hunt. A lot of mule riding and a lot of still hunting, very little sitting.

The reason the guy sold me the USA made ones were he too had bought them through classifieds, they were sold as a 12, but fit more like an 11 1/2. I don't know if this holds true for most of their boots or not. The Pronghorns to me are sized correctly.

Cabela's offers the 'Classic Pronghorn', which looks to be the same as the original, but I can't comment as to whether it is or not. I think they're even on sale now.

GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
200 max. for me.
The more insulation the worse the fit. I do have a pair of 600g. Danners that are strickly for the treestand.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Cheesy

...The reason the guy sold me the USA made ones were he too had bought them through classifieds, they were sold as a 12, but fit more like an 11 1/2. I don't know if this holds true for most of their boots or not. The Pronghorns to me are sized correctly. ...

This is why I really want to try them on FIRST, before I lay out cash... When I measure my foot on the standard metal, adjustable, shoe sizing fixture, in the store, with my thick socks on, both feet measure out at US size 12.5, borderline D/EE width. I have tried on two pairs of Danner Pronghorns size 13EE. One pair in a store in Tennessee, One pair in a store in Michigan. With both pairs, I "think" I was on the verge of toe bump, which is what caused me to give away a $200 pair of Rockies. Don't care to go there again...

Once upon a time, I read a post about a boot company that took foot measurements (stand on a piece of paper, trace around your feet) and either sized boots, or built boots, based on the tracing. Anyone aware what company ? Are they still in business ? Do they do hiking/hunting boots ?

Again, I appreciate everyone's input...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Too much is never enough for me. I walk lots during the later elk seasons, but still prefer heavier insulation.

Depends on how cold your feet usually get in 20 degree temps and wet weather. My feet are cold in the summer.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lathrop is now offering the Prongs with their footbeds free. Worth it.

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/index.php

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not sure which custom boot you are talking about? Russells, Whites, Limmer and others.

I have the old pronghorn style snake boots and they are very comfortable and waterproof, old style pioneer 1000g and had the hikers in plain and 200g. Buy American or go to another boot.

My feet run cold but 200g of insulation seemed like extra padding only, over 600 and they are not so good for hiking. The heavier insulated models I usually end up with sweaty feet and they are actually colder than the thinner ones.

A liner and good wool sock plus a change can take care of a good range of temperatures. Usually I take an unlined Mt. boot and if much snow is likely a pair of pack boots and extra socks.

Danner sizing is not consistent they use several lasts and suppliers depending on model.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
H
I have the Pronghorns and a few other non-insulated Danners.

To keep my feet warm when I stop for awhile I use vapor barrier socks. You wear it between your liner and wool socks, keeps the feet toasty. You hike with them on, but you would need to change your socks two or three times a day, depending on how much your feet sweat.

So I just put them on when I am going to being glassing or sitting in one place for a few hours.

They sell them at REI or mountaineering stores.

...the deepest wound a veteran can recieve is to be forgotten...
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by bloodworks
Lathrop is now offering the Prongs with their footbeds free. Worth it.

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/index.php

Bloodworks,

Thanks for the post. Turns out Lathrops is relatively close to a couple facilities that I work with. Dropped them an email over the weekend after following your link. Got a response back today. Seem to be very helpful folks. I am going to try to stop at their store in the next month or so when I go thru that area. Also interested in the foot beds, but only if the boots fit properly...

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I been hunting with a pair of Danner pronghorns with 800 grs. My Danners seem to breathe and my feet stay conformable from Zero to 70 degrees.

Ted
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I wear uninsulated for the kind of hunt you are describing, temps down to 10 degrees, snow, etc. I have dense wool socks, and I change them out so they are dry. If I were setting for a long time, I'd want Thinsulate 400, but you can also just carry a fleece blanket and wrap up if you're on a long sit. Dad always said, if your feet are cold, wear a hat.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Finally pulled the trigger and purchased a pair of the Pronghorns with 400 grams insulation on Saturday. Found a pair of 13EE's in WV where I could not force my toe to the front with thick socks on. Will report back later after I load up the pack a couple times regarding comfort and toe bump.

I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wear the 400. Got a new pair for X-mas. These have the new plastic toe and heal. Most comfortable shoes I own. They are really not stiff hunting soled boots however. They do stand up to carrying heavy loads but if you need to dig into a hillside or spend a lot of time in the rocks you may want to go with a heavier styled boot.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Keep your feet from sweating. That's #1 then good socks. I use a none scented spray deodorant then good socks with a spare pair. 400gr is what I have used.

Last edited by chas1; 02/06/12.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,095
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.