Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
When I went in for yesterday's oil change, I finally got their attention by telling them the "low engine oil" warning message was displayed. [I checked it immediately after it popped up, & found there was still oil on the stick, but it was below the last marker. Since it was only 2 days 'til the scheduled oil change, I let it ride.] They said that since it had used 1 qt. in the last 1,660 miles, they were finally going to do something about it. [sarcasm]Mighty big of them, I thought. [/sarcasm]

Anyway, they're going to take it for a week, & give me a loaner. They said it will get pistons & rings, & possibly even heads and/or valves. Methinks 'twould be cheaper for them to just replace the engine.

No, I'm not at all happy that a truck with < 72K miles needs this kind of work, nor am I happy that they dragged their feet this long to agree to do it. But I do take some small measure of comfort that they're going to rebuild an engine 5 years after the in-service date, especially given that I bought the thing used.

Since it looks like I'll be spending my would-be truck money on lawyers this year, I'm hoping their latest "fix" actually is one, and gets me through for a few years.

I'll post an update after they're done adulterating my power plant.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had 2, both 2005 vintage. One I got rid of at around 50K and it didn't use any oil (good truck). The other has around 75k and uses more than I would like.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
FC, what year model truck?

A man's got to know his limitations!
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
2007 1/2 ton Yukon XL.

- Mrs. FC
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I think you did good, considering it has that number of miles and you bought it used for them to take care of all of that. They could have easily said "it is a used truck". Good job.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
When I went in for yesterday's oil change, I finally got their attention by telling them the "low engine oil" warning message was displayed. [I checked it immediately after it popped up, & found there was still oil on the stick, but it was below the last marker. Since it was only 2 days 'til the scheduled oil change, I let it ride.] They said that since it had used 1 qt. in the last 1,660 miles, they were finally going to do something about it. [sarcasm]Mighty big of them, I thought. [/sarcasm]

Anyway, they're going to take it for a week, & give me a loaner. They said it will get pistons & rings, & possibly even heads and/or valves. Methinks 'twould be cheaper for them to just replace the engine.

No, I'm not at all happy that a truck with < 72K miles needs this kind of work, nor am I happy that they dragged their feet this long to agree to do it. But I do take some small measure of comfort that they're going to rebuild an engine 5 years after the in-service date, especially given that I bought the thing used.

Since it looks like I'll be spending my would-be truck money on lawyers this year, I'm hoping their latest "fix" actually is one, and gets me through for a few years.

I'll post an update after they're done adulterating my power plant.

FC

is it the 4/6/8 motor. Of course there are internet rumors to he effect that the cylinders not powered are causing a higher then normal oil consumption rate. You can Google it and one of the fixes was some sort of baffle that would keep oil from splashing on the non powered cylinders. On my 2004 it averages 1/2 quart every 4K if that . Good to see that they are at least attempting to fix it but they do have a 100k powertrain on those anyway if I am not mistaken.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably better to just install a fitted block.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

FC

A used truck, you have no idea how it was treated those first 72K miles. They're gonna fix it.....you've no gripes coming.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Sorry, I am a little late to this party. Hate to hear your oil troubles, but has anyone mentioned that the PCV valve may be drawing oil into the combustion chambers and burning it that way?

GM came out with a fixed orifice PCV valve to solve this problem. It is a simple, quick, and cheap fix. If that is the problem.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Does this engine have GM's "Active Fuel Management"? If so, many people claim it plays a very vital role in this problem.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Ackman

A used truck, you have no idea how it was treated those first 72K miles. They're gonna fix it.....you've no gripes coming.

I bought it at 40K miles as a GM Certified used model, and I had my own mechanic check it out first.

Originally Posted by Longbob
Sorry, I am a little late to this party. Hate to hear your oil troubles, but has anyone mentioned that the PCV valve may be drawing oil into the combustion chambers and burning it that way?

GM came out with a fixed orifice PCV valve to solve this problem. It is a simple, quick, and cheap fix. If that is the problem.

They did the first part of the TSB a few months back: soaking the carbon off the pistons & installing a deflector in the oil pan. They might have done something with the PCV at that time.

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Does this engine have GM's "Active Fuel Management"? If so, many people claim it plays a very vital role in this problem.

Yup, that's what it's got. They've been going through the TSB one agonizingly slow step at a time.

FC

- Mrs. FC
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
You can tell real easily by pulling the PCV out and see if it rattles when you shake it. If it does, then they skipped that TSB.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Ackman

I bought it at 40K miles as a GM Certified used model, and I had my own mechanic check it out first.

Originally Posted by Longbob

They did the first part of the TSB a few months back: soaking the carbon off the pistons & installing a deflector in the oil pan. They might have done something with the PCV at that time.

Originally Posted by VAhuntr

Yup, that's what it's got. They've been going through the TSB one agonizingly slow step at a time.

FC

You can pay a tuner/programmer to turn the AFM off on your vehicle. My understanding is once this is done, there are not any more oil consumption issues. I'm told it will void a new vehicle warranty though.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
They just called to tell me they found oil sitting on top of the valves, so they're going to put on 2 new heads, complete with valves. They claim the pistons & rings are fine.

I'm crossing my fingers that this gets the problem taken care of. I pick it up Friday am.

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 02/08/12.

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That can't be cheap, is it still under warranty?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
It is covered, barely: I'm within a couple months of its 5 year in-service date.

I asked the guy what the warranty will be on this work, & he said it will be covered under the original powertrain warranty. When I reminded him that said warranty is nearly expired, he said they'd still take care of me for a while, given that I had documented the problem starting many months ago. I suppose I'll find out what his word is worth.

FC

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good deal, gotta love those warranties! Make sure you get the guys name just in case.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I am pretty sure all service work with parts has a warranty of a year for chevy... Should have nothing to do with your original warranty.. Ever notice how they will change everything you can unbolt without taking the motor out? smile

Mine has 180k on it and I put about a quart in once a month. Like clockwork. No more or less. Have been for 2 years. If it was in warranty I would be there every day...

Guessing valve seals are a problem for these because mine still has all kinds of nut. If it were losing compression I think the power drop would be noticeable.. If it sits for a day or so I get a nice blue poof at start up so I am guessing seals...

Have no intention of touching it till parts fall out the side. I have noticed the low mileage 5.3 engines in yards are climbing in price pretty quick as the last year I think for my model was 06'. There was an enormous glut 2 years ago... Get em' while they are hot...

W

Last edited by woofer; 02/08/12.

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
With all the 5.3L engines with Active Fuel Mgmt running the roads in Chevys and GMC's, I wonder what % of them experience this problem?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buddy is getting his tore down as we speak. Went through all the TSBs, and no go. 66K miles on his rig...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 222Sako, 1badf350, 2500HD, 204guy, 57 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,509
Posts18,509,332
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.