Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=3658

I saw a picture of the wardens holding this rack and it was indeed a world class buck and would have possibly been our new state record.

What's sad is that it was legally taken except for the cal(204, via the 204 Ruger). He could have taken it with the lowly 22 Hornet and been legal, yet he took it with a cart of greater ballistics and got nailed. If it would have been a normal size buck, I doubt anything would have been done to him.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you can't fix stupid

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
They want to hang him up for felony fraud for killing a deer with a caliber to small? That is utterly absurd. This is a very minor violation. No reason for any penalty other than a small fine and call it a day.

Trying to trump up minor charges into something more than what is fair just makes law enforcement look stupid.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
readonly, It all has to do with the caliber of the buck laugh

I would imagine some jealous hunters are the ones pushing the issue, possibly some big money hunters in the same contests.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Whether the law is rightous or not, it's still the law.

Aim for the exit hole.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. The regulations are just a guideline that sportsmen may or may not elect to follow. If one can read, he should have no excuse. Trophy or not.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/12/12.

1Minute
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
He may have broken "THE LAW" but he didnt do anything that is unethical or morally reprehensible.
"THE LAW" varies according to culture local tradition and in many cases it is based in inaccurate information that is foised upoon a biased public by uninformed public officials.
Remeber.. the assault weapons ban was "THE LAW". Seatbelt requirments are "THE LAW". Prohibition was "THE LAW".
Everyone reading this has/ will break some law today before the sun is high in the sky.
The difference is that you justify your actions and condem the actions of another.
So what if this guy never speeds? always wears his seatbelt? reports online purchases and pays state retail taxs on them? ect ect ect...
BUT he shot a deer with a smaller caliber than some state no nothing decided was legal.
I see the same thing here in SC.
In various game zones its legal to bait deer, run dogs, shoot deer with rimfires ect ect ect.
in other game zones its illigal. Same state. same taxs. same licence fees...
So he violated the caliber clause in the weapons/ methods code. BIG F-IN DEAL.
he should pay the exact fine that the last person who was charged in the state paid.

Some of you guys would turn in your Jewish neighbors, have your son executed for being gay...
So tell me you guys who think "ITS THE LAW"...

A 20 year old war wounded USMC veteran coming home from Afgan... Would you say he should or shouldnt be able to share a beer with his father?
The surest sigh of a declining culture is the peoples inability to disern right from wrong without LAW.

"The conflicting interests of competing groups often leads to differences of opinion about right and wrong, and these differences of opinion can easily escalate into political power struggles. The winners of these struggles usually get to impose their own ideas about right and wrong upon everyone else."

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I read the article right what is hanging him is entering the big deer contests with an illegal kill. Assuming of course he knew it was illegal.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by readonly
They want to hang him up for felony fraud for killing a deer with a caliber to small? That is utterly absurd. This is a very minor violation. No reason for any penalty other than a small fine and call it a day.

Trying to trump up minor charges into something more than what is fair just makes law enforcement look stupid.

I disagree. I believe that persons who violate the law in egregious way, should be punished to the full extent allowed under statute.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This is the dumbest damned thing I've ever heard and anyone who thinks it is okay, is so stupid as to not be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ignorance of the law is no excuse

the game laws that are written are not guidelines or suggestions

i hope he gets more than he deserves

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Anybody notice that the hunter's name is Bill Jordan?

It would be ridiculous if they confiscated the deer but I do agree that ignorance is no excuse for the law and he should at least have to pay a small fine.

Maybe he was out shooting crows with his .204 and spotted the buck. Who knows?

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I agree that he should have to face fines for breaking the law. What I don't agree with is the fact that if the buck would have been smaller or even if it were a doe and he had been caught, he would have simply gotten a small ticket and nothing more. It happens all the time, some people get reamed and others get a slap on the hand for breaking the same laws.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Maverick940

I disagree. I believe that persons who violate the law in egregious way, should be punished to the full extent allowed under statute.

Define egrigious. Proportionality is an important component of law. In this case, the response is not proportionate to the offense.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I agree that he should have to face fines for breaking the law. What I don't agree with is the fact that if the buck would have been smaller or even if it were a doe and he had been caught, he would have simply gotten a small ticket and nothing more. It happens all the time, some people get reamed and others get a slap on the hand for breaking the same laws.

Not necessarily. Some states have statutes which reflect the extent of punishment in accordance with the trophy quality of an animal that is illegally killed. But, other factors also play into the punishment, such as the egregious nature of the crime and so on and so forth, regardless as to whether or not the animals is/was a trophy.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Maverick, I am aware that some states base the punishment on the trophy size, but I don't believe La does. I could be wrong. If that were the case, his fines would be far greater.

I bet he doesn't shoot anymore deer with that cart laugh

Of course, he could have shot it with a 35grn XTP from a 25ACP at a blistering 800fps and been perfectly legal. That makes alot of sense.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would be interested to know what evidence they have to substantiae the crime in this case. A confession alone is not enough to uphold a confession, there must me some extrinsic substantiation. Unless there is a third party witness, or some phyiscal evidence of the caliber....he may need to fight this one out, and if he does they may have a hard time convicting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would be interested to know what evidence they have to substantiae the crime in this case. A confession alone is not enough to uphold a confession, there must me some extrinsic substantiation. Unless there is a third party witness, or some phyiscal evidence of the caliber....he may need to fight this one out, and if he does they may have a hard time convicting.

I'm sure you can find information on the local dispatch report and in local media. I haven't looked into it as yet, but there's no doubt that plenty if information per the crime is available in local venues/formats.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Frick, this is Louisiana. More deer have been killed with a .22 and a spotlight than all the other calibers combined. It is just insanity.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Pretty stupid if you ask me. I could see going after him if shot it out of season, at night or trespassed. I can't believe he confessed, they must of water boarded him!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,978
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.