Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
People can be schitheads in how they go out and get their meat and trophies.
People can be just as big of schitheads in how they choose to enforce the law, or "contests".

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bullshit

You can shear a sheep many times.But you can only skin him once!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seminole39
ignorance of the law is no excuse

the game laws that are written are not guidelines or suggestions

i hope he gets more than he deserves

Unless you are a LEO in the state of La. Here they are protected by state law.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=3658

I saw a picture of the wardens holding this rack and it was indeed a world class buck and would have possibly been our new state record.

What's sad is that it was legally taken except for the cal(204, via the 204 Ruger). He could have taken it with the lowly 22 Hornet and been legal, yet he took it with a cart of greater ballistics and got nailed. If it would have been a normal size buck, I doubt anything would have been done to him.

A felony for using the wrong caliber? You've got to be kidding. mad

Last edited by RobJordan; 02/18/12.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=3658

I saw a picture of the wardens holding this rack and it was indeed a world class buck and would have possibly been our new state record.

What's sad is that it was legally taken except for the cal(204, via the 204 Ruger). He could have taken it with the lowly 22 Hornet and been legal, yet he took it with a cart of greater ballistics and got nailed. If it would have been a normal size buck, I doubt anything would have been done to him.

A felony for using the wrong caliber? You've got to be kidding. mad

If memory serves me correctly, the felony counts fall under the Rico Act.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Originally Posted by M77shooter
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Originally Posted by M77shooter
Quite a few years ago in a Central LA paper there was a story of a gentleman (doctor I think) who took a deer with a spear he had made. It was a nice buck. Bad part is, that is illegal to take a deer in LA with a spear. Seems like he had the deer taken away from him. Been many years ago so memory is a little fuzzy.

I take it you heard about the 218 B&C non-typical Louisiana buck that a young lady killed this past fall? The buck had made his escape from a high-fence "ranch" and then walked past her stand. How lucky is that ?!!!!!

Yes I did hear about that. If I read it correctly, if someone shoots a deer like that here one has to pay restitution for the deer. I am not sure how one can tell it was a high fence deer though when they shoot it. Looks like the land owner would be responsible for his own deer getting loose. In this case, the owner of the high fence knew the family of the girl that shot it so he did not demand restitution which would have cost about 10k if I remember correctly.

It was a recognizable buck and became a legal deer under the State's authority when it escaped the enclosure. She killed it legally and no restitution is mandanted in that case.

One would think that it could be taken legally, but according to the article I have linked to the story that isn't so. Just as Rock Chuck states below, the deer had a tag mandated by law. I couldn't remember the exact circumstances, but apparently it was a tagged deer. What makes me wonder about it is the fact that they had so many trail cam pics of it I would think they could have seen the tag in at least one of the pics.

LA woman kills escaped deer

It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.
Ronald Reagan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What evidence would they have that he used a 204?

You have a right to remain silent and get a lawyer. Do not do an interview until you get legal advice.

He probably only hung himself in the interview after filling out an application form for a big buck contest. Very stupid mistake! (after using an illegal weapon).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by readonly
I would be interested to know what evidence they have to substantiae the crime in this case. A confession alone is not enough to uphold a confession, there must me some extrinsic substantiation. Unless there is a third party witness, or some phyiscal evidence of the caliber....he may need to fight this one out, and if he does they may have a hard time convicting.

no, actually, a confession will do just fine. He admitted the fact of the violation, apparently. If he gets on the stand and denies it, says it was a mistake, or whatever....it's a jury question whether he was lying when he confessed or when he denied it.

that said, it seems a massively disproportionate response to an error of .016 inch in bullet diameter. if he'd killed it with a .25-20, no problemo.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ruin a mans life over using the wrong caliber on a animal.stupity at its finest

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"The conflicting interests of competing groups often leads to differences of opinion about right and wrong, and these differences of opinion can easily escalate into political power struggles. The winners of these struggles usually get to impose their own ideas about right and wrong upon everyone else."

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree. The law is the law! Laws are made for a reason. And he broke it. Period. If he didn't know the law, HE SHOULD OF. And that's his fault. We shouldn't defend law breakers.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
still no Picture

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Originally Posted by readonly
I would be interested to know what evidence they have to substantiae the crime in this case. A confession alone is not enough to uphold a confession, there must me some extrinsic substantiation. Unless there is a third party witness, or some phyiscal evidence of the caliber....he may need to fight this one out, and if he does they may have a hard time convicting.

no, actually, a confession will do just fine. He admitted the fact of the violation, apparently. If he gets on the stand and denies it, says it was a mistake, or whatever....it's a jury question whether he was lying when he confessed or when he denied it.

that said, it seems a massively disproportionate response to an error of .016 inch in bullet diameter. if he'd killed it with a .25-20, no problemo.

I am sorry, but you are wrong. The legal principle is called Corpus Delecti. The defendent need not take the stand at his trial, and without independent corroborating evidence that a crime has been committed, his out of court confession is insufficient to establish a prima facie case.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hunter01
I agree. The law is the law! Laws are made for a reason. And he broke it. Period. If he didn't know the law, HE SHOULD OF. And that's his fault. We shouldn't defend law breakers.

whats the difference between him using the wrong caliber and you speeding?
not wearing a seatbelt?
not paying taxs on online purchases?

I really get fed up with some of you hypocrites.

He used bullet that someone decided was to small. OK
fine him.

you fkin guys would have him burned at the stake.

somebody once said that Nothing of choice is ever made punishable unless those who do the prohibiting (and exact the fierce punishments) have a repressed desire to participate.

As Shakespeare put it in King Lear "the policeman who lashes the whore has a hot need to use her for the very offense for which he plies the lash.�

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ringworm
Originally Posted by hunter01

not wearing a seatbelt?
not paying taxs on online purchases?

I really get fed up with some of you hypocrites.

He used bullet that someone decided was to small. OK
fine him.

you fkin guys would have him burned at the stake.

somebody once said that Nothing of choice is ever made punishable unless those who do the prohibiting (and exact the fierce punishments) have a repressed desire to participate.

As Shakespeare put it in King Lear "the policeman who lashes the whore has a hot need to use her for the very offense for which he plies the lash.”

Ok so what is wrong with shooting one day out of season? Where do you draw this line sir?

Yes I speed and if cuaght I will pay the fine because that is what we as A people have set forth.

Don't try to fade that line sir it gets very dim!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There's absolutely no difference what so ever. When I get caught I man up and pay. I don't speed, however, in an attempt to bag a trophy and carry off the winnings in several big buck contests.

1Minute
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the punishment should fit the crime.
Its just a little thing call justice.
google it.

Making someone a felon, taking away thier right to own firearms and vote. taking away thier livelyhood and dispariging thier character and reputation for using a bullet that was too small?

FK YEAH!!!
LETS GET HIM!
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
RING WORM the name is starting to fit! It's the LAW try looking it up!!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd take it to court, point out the actual POWER of the round vs other less powerful rounds and speak of the INTENT of the law vs the law.....

Ya know you still hear of folks spitting on sidewalks being illegal too...

Not to mention how many folks been killed with a 223, that its a non issue at all to me. And shouldn't be to fish and game either in reality.

[bleep] with wally world 06s bore sighted and never zero'd shooting at deer that run off(wounded or dying) and dont' even look for the deer because I musta missed because it didn't fall over are much more of an issue to me anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
The felony charges were for 'contest fraud' not the killing of the deer.

Originally Posted by from the SECOND sentence of the article
LDWF agents cited Billy W. Jordan, 54, of Winnsboro for taking a deer with an illegal weapon and four felony counts of contest fraud, the agency reported.

Maybe the third time is the charm. The FELONY counts are for contest fraud NOT the illegal weapon charge. The illegal weapon charge is NOT a felony and I suspect carries a pretty soft sentence.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (12344mag, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 264mag, 338rcm, 21 invisible), 1,626 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,972
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.