Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I think some people have never killed anything with a22Lr. When I was growing up game laws weren't really laws they were suggestions by the state (according to my family members)... grin

I know for a fact that you can kill every deer you ever wanted with 22 LR. High speed or standard velocity matters not. The only thing that matters is bullet placement.

We won't talk about what a 22 WMR will do... grin

Unless deer have gotten alot tougher in the last 20 or 25 years you will be fine. The bigger concern is not letting that bullet get into your neighbors house.
Dink

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My uncle, who was once an outlaw and who has probably killed more deer than everyone on this thread combined, swears up and down that that the CCI Stinger will drop them about as quick as a 30-06 within range limitations.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not a matter of science, but rather one of wisdom! Proceed.

WAR EAGLE!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some farmers around here have been known to get good at it. Of course those that do, unfortunately don't worry all that much if one runs off to die a miserable death someplace else.

Unless I was in survival mode, I can't see why any reasonable person would want to.

laissez les bons temps rouler
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe_redux
My uncle, who was once an outlaw and who has probably killed more deer than everyone on this thread combined, swears up and down that that the CCI Stinger will drop them about as quick as a 30-06 within range limitations.

When I was young the Stinger was the bullet of choice. I wonder how the newer stuff works though.

Dink

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A lot of the farmers who have deer problems have gleeful dreams about the deer they've just shot running off and dying miserably.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Until they find out they can get people to pay....

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
why don't you try one of these? i'm sure a 40 gr limestone pebble would have some knockdown power

[Linked Image]

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've killed quite a few with the .22 LR and .22 magnum. You definitely don't want any hyper velocity hollow points. I've seen them flatten and fail to penetrate the skull. Any of the 40 gr. LR solids will work if they hit right. From the side your aim point should be between the eye and ear hole. A LR solid will often go completely through and out the other side with that placement. It's best to avoid front on shots as the skull is very sloped and will sometimes glance off. The eye is definitely not the place to aim if they're facing directly at you as the bullet will completely miss the brain. It will work fine if the head is at a quartering to you angle though. The back of the head right between the ears also works well. That said, the .22 magnum works much better as it will completely penetrate the skull/head from any angle with no tendency to glance off even from the front from what I've seen.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ringworm
What is going to be the most effective 22LR bullet fired?

Sooo, you have complete confidence in the .22 LR being up to the task, but you don't know which bullet to have confidence in? sense me Makes to.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I was doing it I'd bypass the .22 LR and go straight to the .22 WMR.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Do not take a head shot with a .22 LR or even the .22 mag if they are facing you.
Side head shot. Draw a line from the ear hole, thru the center of the eye. Put the bullet between the the ear and eye on that plane. You BETTER be able to hit a nickel 100% of the time at what ever distance you're shooting, cuz that's how much error you have. Back of the head works well.
Get a .22 mag if you're serious about doing this. Winchester Super-X 40 grn solids....

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by santeerangerman
Do not take a head shot with a .22 LR or even the .22 mag if they are facing you.
Never had a problem head on with the .22 mag.. In between the eyes and out the back of the head every time. Those little flat nosed 40 gr. fmj's penetrate like the dickens.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys put way too much thought into this. Back in my younger days I learned real quick that a single 40 grain American Eagle .22 LR bullet tight behind the shoulder is about the cleanest kill possible on a deer. Some shots were in excess of 100 yards and it was always the same result. Instant death. Did it quite a bit on a couple ranches owned by buddies.

FYI I haven't done anything illegal for over 14 years now so don't even go there.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
You guys put way too much thought into this. Back in my younger days I learned real quick that a single 40 grain American Eagle .22 LR bullet tight behind the shoulder is about the cleanest kill possible on a deer. Some shots were in excess of 100 yards and it was always the same result. Instant death. Did it quite a bit on a couple ranches owned by buddies.

FYI I haven't done anything illegal for over 14 years now so don't even go there.
I did several behind the shoulder with .22 mag.. None went more than 80 yds. but none dropped instantly either. I know somebody who used to lung shoot them with .22 LR but only with snow on for tracking. He told me he'd just plug one and walk away and come back later to track them out. He said they always laid down and died within 100-150 yds. that way but never said a thing about any instant drops. I've killed enough to know I don't buy instant drops every time behind the shoulder with anything, much less the .22 LR.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To each their own. On a text book broadside shot the "thwak!!!" was clearly heard and the deer fell down. I don't doubt your experiences but know mine were real.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
According to my best bud, he hunts exclusively during California's rimfire season; however, he prefers a 22 mag. lol

NRA Benefactor member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should probably clarify that by "instant death" I don't mean constant bang flops. Lots of them were but lots also did a 20-40 yard death run before they fell. What I meant by "instant death" is they were dead on their feet and I never had to go finish one off. No different than a more conventional rifle bullet through the chest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cali's got a rimfire season for deer? Are you being sarcastic?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DINK

When I was young the Stinger was the bullet of choice. I wonder how the newer stuff works though.

Dink

Dink;
Having "dealt with" yard coyotes over the years with Yellow Jackets (1), Stingers(2?), Blasers (2) and Velocitors (4), I would definitely give the edge by a pretty fair margin to the Velocitors. The Velocitors dropped the largest Okanagan male coyote I've run across so far with one shot at roughly 25yds.

As a by the way, I've shot coyotes with a bunch of cartridges up to and including the .308 Norma Mag and .338Win Mag. From that experience have a good basic understanding of their tenacity and toughness. wink

The Velocitors worked on at least one vehicle hit mulie doe as well, though in my mind I think there might have been a second one as well. We can't hunt deer with rimfire rifles legally here in BC, but when putting an animal down the CO's haven't asked what I used when I saved them a trip - they only said "thank you very much sir."

Anyway, the mulie doe in the neighbor's yard took exactly one Velocitor at the base of her left ear to ease her out of her pain.

Speaking of them, the local Conservation Officers have told me that they'll use .22's for problem bears in urban settings quite a bit. At last count the BC CO's killed somewhere on one side or the other of 1000 nuisance black bears annually and many of the times they are only a "nuisance" when they can't see their way clear to leaving town.

I apologize that I neglected to ask what they use in their .22's though, sorry.

Anyway, for those who are curious about such things, do try the Velocitors if so inclined.

Hopefully that was some use to someone, somewhere.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/14/12. Reason: added info

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

456 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 44 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,505
Posts18,472,278
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.