Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've killed a few feral hogs with a .22LR loaded with CCI 40gr. SGB

.22WMR is better.
Winchester 40gr. JHP has been quite effective on feral hogs and exotics (axis and fallow doe).

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, the 40 gr. Win JHP is a fantastic little bullet. The one I used on every lung shot deer I killed with the .22 WMR cartridge. I have a couple perfectly mushroomed specimens recovered from under the hide on the offiside of lung shot deer. They are picture perfect mushrooms suitable for a big game bullet advertisement.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by santeerangerman
Do not take a head shot with a .22 LR or even the .22 mag if they are facing you.
Never had a problem head on with the .22 mag.. In between the eyes and out the back of the head every time. Those little flat nosed 40 gr. fmj's penetrate like the dickens.

Not questioning what you have experienced, but I've seen several shot between the eyes with the .22 mag and the bullet skipped off the front of the skull just under the skin without penetrating the skull. Never had a problem when they turned to the side though.

I've shot deperadation tags on the farm here in SC with a .22 mag for years, so I've got a pretty fair idea of how well they work. We use it to keep the noise down, and no recoil. I've always kept the shots under 50 yrds with the rimfire. Shooting farm tags evening after evening, after evening is a chore. Make no mistake about it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Do not take a head shot with a .22 LR or even the .22 mag if they are facing you.
Never had a problem head on with the .22 mag.. In between the eyes and out the back of the head every time. Those little flat nosed 40 gr. fmj's penetrate like the dickens.

Not questioning what you have experienced, but I've seen several shot between the eyes with the .22 mag and the bullet skipped off the front of the skull just under the skin without penetrating the skull. Never had a problem when they turned to the side though.

I've shot deperadation tags on the farm here in SC with a .22 mag for years, so I've got a pretty fair idea of how well they work. We use it to keep the noise down, and no recoil. I've always kept the shots under 50 yrds with the rimfire. Shooting farm tags evening after evening, after evening is a chore. Make no mistake about it.
My experience came the same way. Agricultural damage control near a housing development. Rimfires used to keep noise down.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If I was to use a .22 LR for deer I would use a Mini Mag solid or preferably a SGB load. For body/neck shots I would use Velocitors.

I have had too many Round nose 22 LR loads bounce off the skull to really trust them. It doesn't take much of an angle. It is especially true out of a revolver like a K-22 where a lot of velocity is lost. Actually the SGB bullet desrves some penetration testing....

If at all possible, I would use a .22 WMR rather than a 22LR. The 40 grain Magnum solid loads penetrate all out of proportion to the size/velocity. The HP's will take a rib and be laying under the hide on the far side.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Fosteology,

The 50grn Federal HP is a humb dinger on swine as well. We've used the 40g CCIs mostly, but those Federal 50s work like a champ. They chrono about 300-350fps slower than the 40s.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
You guys put way too much thought into this. Back in my younger days I learned real quick that a single 40 grain American Eagle .22 LR bullet tight behind the shoulder is about the cleanest kill possible on a deer. Some shots were in excess of 100 yards and it was always the same result. Instant death. Did it quite a bit on a couple ranches owned by buddies.

FYI I haven't done anything illegal for over 14 years now so don't even go there.

I have heard guys say the exact same thing on behind the shoulder shots. I have also been told that sometimes after being shot behind the shoulder that the deer would jump/run a few steps and then go back to feeding until they fell over.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 02/14/12.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by DINK

When I was young the Stinger was the bullet of choice. I wonder how the newer stuff works though.

Dink

Dink;
Having "dealt with" yard coyotes over the years with Yellow Jackets (1), Stingers(2?), Blasers (2) and Velocitors (4), I would definitely give the edge by a pretty fair margin to the Velocitors. The Velocitors dropped the largest Okanagan male coyote I've run across so far with one shot at roughly 25yds.

As a by the way, I've shot coyotes with a bunch of cartridges up to and including the .308 Norma Mag and .338Win Mag. From that experience have a good basic understanding of their tenacity and toughness. wink

The Velocitors worked on at least one vehicle hit mulie doe as well, though in my mind I think there might have been a second one as well. We can't hunt deer with rimfire rifles legally here in BC, but when putting an animal down the CO's haven't asked what I used when I saved them a trip - they only said "thank you very much sir."

Anyway, the mulie doe in the neighbor's yard took exactly one Velocitor at the base of her left ear to ease her out of her pain.

Speaking of them, the local Conservation Officers have told me that they'll use .22's for problem bears in urban settings quite a bit. At last count the BC CO's killed somewhere on one side or the other of 1000 nuisance black bears annually and many of the times they are only a "nuisance" when they can't see their way clear to leaving town.

I apologize that I neglected to ask what they use in their .22's though, sorry.

Anyway, for those who are curious about such things, do try the Velocitors if so inclined.

Hopefully that was some use to someone, somewhere.

Regards,
Dwayne

Thanks for the report. I don't get to shoot much stuff, other than small game, with a rimfire anymore and was wondering how the new stuff stacked up.

Dink

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
We hog hunt on federal forest service land, if deer season is not open you have to use whatever firearm that would be legal to hunt whatever game the season is open for ( such as squirrel) as there is no "hog" season. So we hunt with either 22lr or 22mag. We only take close range head shots, 50 yards or less. Doesn't seem to matter what you shoot them with, if you put it in the skull it will die right there. I use 22 mag cci solids. Weight range of the hogs are 50-250lb. I guy who shot benchrest once told me all you need for deer is a .222, I asked where he shot them, he replied anywhere in the eye.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I'll take the bait...I wouldn't even hunt a coyote with a .22, let alone a deer. Even a 22 Hornet, 218 Bee etc would be a better choice.

My 220 Swift always worked.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
maybe our deer just arnt as tough as the rest of the country...
I have close neighbors and while it's 100% legal from every standpoint, noise is the reason I am even looking into using the 22.
A can and paperwork is going to run me just over $1K and even then if using subsonics I probably wont get the best stabilization from my 1-12" bbl, which means buying a different rifle to can up.
regardless, I would only going to take head/ neck shots even with a centerfire because I cant afford to have a deer run out into the road and into a car or through a neighbors sliding glass door.
Amazing that using a LEGAL cartrige, on MY land in a 100% LEGAL manner brings the slander from some here.
Do you guys really think that a 22LR in the head at 40 yards is less lethal than than a 223 at 200 in the body?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by DINK
I think some people have never killed anything with a22Lr. When I was growing up game laws weren't really laws they were suggestions by the state (according to my family members)... grin

I know for a fact that you can kill every deer you ever wanted with 22 LR. High speed or standard velocity matters not. The only thing that matters is bullet placement.

We won't talk about what a 22 WMR will do... grin

Unless deer have gotten alot tougher in the last 20 or 25 years you will be fine. The bigger concern is not letting that bullet get into your neighbors house.
Dink

Thats as concise as it needs to be on the subject

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer the .50 BMG.....doesn't really matter where you hit em, it's always lethal

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aside from the noise issue, do y'all really think a head shot with a 22LR is that much safer in highly populated areas?

Even shooting at a sharp downward angle, it looks like ricochets on head shots could be problematic.

DJ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ringworm
maybe our deer just arnt as tough as the rest of the country...
I have close neighbors and while it's 100% legal from every standpoint, noise is the reason I am even looking into using the 22.
A can and paperwork is going to run me just over $1K and even then if using subsonics I probably wont get the best stabilization from my 1-12" bbl, which means buying a different rifle to can up.
regardless, I would only going to take head/ neck shots even with a centerfire because I cant afford to have a deer run out into the road and into a car or through a neighbors sliding glass door.
Amazing that using a LEGAL cartrige, on MY land in a 100% LEGAL manner brings the slander from some here.
Do you guys really think that a 22LR in the head at 40 yards is less lethal than than a 223 at 200 in the body?

No. I think they're about the same which is the problem in a nutshell.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Standard velocity RN, CNS. Your problem will be placement, not terminal performance. You need to present the bullet to bone in as perpendicular aspect as possible to avoid deflection. You also have to recognize that deer move their heads often and abruptly. There is little difference in the killing of deer or hogs in context of terminal ballistics and anatomy, but the trick for deer is getting them to hold still for it.

Thinking this is a format you'd do well to reconsider.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DJTex
Aside from the noise issue, do y'all really think a head shot with a 22LR is that much safer in highly populated areas?

Even shooting at a sharp downward angle, it looks like ricochets on head shots could be problematic.

DJ

Common sense answer and in addition with close neighbors who knows where the bullet will go if perchance it does pass through. Then there is the problem with the Deer dying in one of those close yards.

"Oh excuse me for interrupting your picnic. I'll have this out of the way in a minute."

Last edited by battue; 02/15/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
When i was a young kid dad use to send me out at night to shoot a deer for a family at the end of the road that had about 10 children.

The daddy was a wood cutter and the mother cut and fixed other peoples hair in the community, they did the best they could, but had trouble making ends meet, 6 or 7 deer through the winter months sure didnt hurt, I must have shot 5 pickup bed loads of deer with the 22 LR and an old Weaver scope over the years, lead round nose bullet in the head/ear/eye and it was a done deal, never lost one.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a copy of some Milk Jug Tests I posted over at rimfirecentral about six years ago. Not bone/meat but may help you decide on what round to use. I quit testing solid points as they did not expand no matter the velocity and the penetration was eating up my jug supply. Based on this I would vote for the Velocitor or a solid (anything but Remington which have had velocity consistency issues for twenty five years that I am aware of).

Digital Dan also has/had(?) some pictures of pig skulls that were shot with 22's down on the rimfire forum.

Jerry

Milk Jug Expansion Tests
22 Rimfire Milk Jug Tests

Shot at 50 Yards unless noted otherwise, Original Bullet Weight is in Parenthesis. All Rounds are Long Rifle Except CCI-Short HP and Aguila Super Colibri. Barrel length was 22 inches.

A-HV HP (Aguila High Velocity HP); Completely Penetrated 3 Jugs. Recovered weight 37.6 grains (38). Max. Expansion 0.295".

A-SC (Aguila Super Colibri); Shot at 20 Yards. Penetrated into 1st Jug, did Not Dimple Back Wall of Jug. Recovered weight 20 grains (20). No Visible Expansion.

A-SS HP (Aguila Sub-Sonic Hollow Point); Recovered in 2nd Jug. Recovered weight 37.4 grains (38). Max. Expansion 0.325".

CCI-QS (CCI Quik Shok) Did not Penetrate Back Wall of 1st Jug, Blew Jug Apart. Only Found 1 Small Fragment in Jug. Recovered weight 3.5 grains. This was the older packaged Quik Shok (pre 2006).

CCI-Short HP (CCI Short Hollow Point); Shot at 35 Yards. Found in 2nd Jug. Recovered weight 27.0 grains (27). Max. Expansion 0.400".

CCI-Short HP (50) (CCI Short Hollow Point); Shot at 50 Yards. Found in 3rd Jug. Recovered weight 26.5 grains (27). Max. Expansion 0.420".

CCI-SS HP (CCI Sub Sonic Hollow Point); Penetrated 2 Milk Jugs, Stopped on Face of 3rd Jug, Blew Apart 1st Jug. Recovered weight 39.0 grains (40). Max. Expansion 0.380".

REM-SS HP (Remington Sub Sonic Hollow Point); Penetrated 2 Milk Jugs. Recovered weight 39.3 grains (?). Max. Expansion 0.335".

RWS-SS HP (RWS Sub-Sonic Hollow Point); Penetrated into 3rd Jug. Recovered weight 40.3 grains (40). Max. Expansion 0.330".

WMT (Wolf Match Target); Penetrated into 5th Jug. Recovered weight 40 grains (40). No Visible Expansion.
[Linked Image]

2nd Set of 22 Rimfire Milk Jug Tests
I dropped the expansion measurement and weight as I felt the picture gives a better idea of how they opened up.

All were shot at 50 Yards. 2 Rounds were tested of each type and both are in the photograph. All Rounds are Long Rifle Hollow Points. Barrel Length was 22 inches.

AGUILA-SUPER MAX ; Both bullets penetrated into 2nd Jug. 2nd Bullet did not lose it�s frontal mushroom piece.

CCI- MINI MAG HP; 1ST Bullet penetrated the 2nd Jug and left a dimple (leaking water) in 3rd Jug, bullet was found at interface of jugs 2 and 3. 2nd Bullet penetrated into 3rd Jug and had the more extensive mushroom.

CCI-QUIK SHOK; Small fragment found in 1st Jug, larger fragment found in 2nd Jug (1st round is on the right side). 2nd shot had the same results, except the fragment in 1st jug was larger (2nd round is on the left). This is the new packaged Quik Shok (2006), which as OIS noted earlier blows apart less violently than the older stuff.

CCI-stinger; 1st Bullet penetrated 2nd jug and was found at interface with 3rd jug. 2nd Bullet penetrated into the 3rd jug, 2nd Bullet has the larger mushroom.

CCI-velocitor; Both Bullets penetrated into the 3rd jug.
[Linked Image][u][/u]

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 02/15/12.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Best advice so far, BC30cal !

I too lean to the Velocitor, mostly for the slight edge over the Mini-Mags for penetration.

About half the 'yotes will run on me. Usually about the distance you would expect for Rimfire stuff,, + or -, 70 yards or so. I usually go for the double lung shot on 'yotes because I know they will be dead 'shortly'.

I expect similar results on problem deer, up to about the 80# maximum live weight. Velocitor (and Mini-Mags) there also, with Velocitors again 1st choice. Over the 80# weight 'shortly' often gets different to predict.

The protocol on head and neck shots here is, as quickly as possible approach and another to the heart lung/area AND brain pan. Seen a few of those head and neck shots that were 'dead' get up and take off again.

Don't know the OP's situation, safety seems to be his paramount problem.

Out of this thread.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (10Glocks, 35, 406_SBC, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 41rem, 12 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,117
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.