-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
#1 Marlin Cowboy 45-70 Not all than fun to sight in.

#2 Ruger .338 Win mag, 40 rounds, 250 gr Nosler Part., hot loaded for Alaska, on the bench. Just beat the heck out of me. After being Mag-Na-Ported it's just like shooting a .270.

#3 454 Casull, 325 gr hard cast, and all the H-110 the case could hold. Loaded for the same trip to Alaska, and just as unpleasent to shoot as the above .338.

After the Alaska trip, I sold the Casull, as I just didn't like shooting the darn thing. Still have the Marlin Cowboy, but only killed a couple of Elk & a Bison with it. Other than hunting, it just sits in the safe. Good looking, but I'd much rather be shooting my other rifles.

Cat, the other white meat!
HR IC

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
When S&W's 329 came out I found a guy peddling one with a box of 49 rounds at a gunshow for $400....should've bought the darned thing.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
6-1/2 lb 458 off the bench. I couldn't believe how bad it hurt!!
Both shots.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Who was the genius that bought the 6-1/2 lb .458? I wouldn't think it much fun to shoot!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If my memory serves me right I believe the .700NE was 13-1/2 lb

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I see .300 Weatherby Vanguards on the used gun racks quite often.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've really ony 2 memorable experiences with recoil issues ...and was not really flinch prone in those days.

The funny one was when I was Rep'ing for Stoeger back in the mid '80's and I had a SAKO sample show up unannouced right before the Dallas Safari Show back in the days at the Conv Ctr at the DFW Airport. It was a 7lb 3oz SAKO 375H&H carbine in a the first Mickey stock I had seen on a SAKO. Called the office to see what I was 'posed to do with it, took it to the Show as ordered and sold the right guy a couple dozen as planned to go to Alaska for Salmon guides....but he wanted some changes and did not want the Sample shipped to him...so I kept it to show off the new Mickey stock with. Following week I had some range time planned and took the 'lil guy along to burn up some 300gr factory Remmy's I had left over from another live dealer demo.
The bench's at my range are an individual concrete deck with a height adjustable wedge seat that slides up and down the seat brace pole. As per usual I hooked my heels around the pole to get my fat feet out of the way in the super tight area...touched one off...and "came to" flat on my back and stretched out on the concrete sidewalk behind the bench with the gun pointing up at the tin rood overhead. The Range Master freaked, and wanted to call an ambulance until I shook it off...and figured out what I had done WRONG ...and took a linebacker type squat & forward lean into the gun with my feet behind me since we cannot shoot standing at this Public Range... and finished off the box ...with the gun lifting me up about 6"s off the bags without any pain or additional excitment. Needless to say I cleared the bench for several positions around me with the Carbine's muzzle blast but I was getting 1 1/2-2" groups out of a freeby Tasco 1.5x5 World Class that stayed together long after this. Shot the gun later off some sticks and freehanded and it was a joy to shoot...with my feet properly put where they belonged Under Me...wish'd I'd kept that SAKO Carbine!

The other time was with a Wby MkV 300Wby FiberClass in their 1st 'glass stock I'd picked up trading. Again the gun only weighed about 7lbs bare nekkid. I was using some Federal factory 180's and the gun shot great left and right holding under a 1/2" wide 5 shot group. However the groups would range from 2-3"s to 5-6's high in a verticle string. I Got Mad at the groups I was shooting and my "obvious flinching" ...and shot 2 full box's in an hour or less. Thank God we ran out of daylight...as my face and right ear was black and blue from past my nose to the back of my neck on my shooting shoulder when I got home an hour later. My 'smith later pointed out the flimsy 'glass stock was bowing out from the sides of the reciever and almost collapsing thru the receiver area as I had Polished a 4" strip on the bottom of the barrel from where the forend was moving back and forth. I knew then why the guy I had bought it from was so willing to take a beating on the price ...but Dang that gun sold fast Again!
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Shot a friends lightweight, un-scoped, .338 Mag. with a checkered steel butt plate. It was hot out and I was only wearing a t-shirt. After 2 shots my shoulder looked like I'd been attacked with a meat tenderizing hammer.

Last edited by doubletap; 02/19/12.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No doubt whatsoever for me. Browning 10ga BPS with a Goodyear hard rubber recoil plate. Got that sucker and went out right away and shot 5 rounds of 2 1/4oz 1200fps turkey loads. My right cheek looked like I'd lost a fist fight to a good left cross and my right shoulder looked like it'd been used for an anvil. Never shot it again until it got back from being Pro-Ported. That took the buck out of the comb but did nothing for the kick. Shot some turkey with it but finally came to the conclusion I just don't hate turkey all that much. Last few times I shot it resulted in first round immediate headache. Would have traded it off but son used it on a black coyote that came to a turkey call and died in a hail of copper plated #5's and wants to keep it. He's bigger and stronger than I ever was so I guess it'll work out for him. But for me, nevermore.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I bought an XP-100 chambered in .308 Win. I had some 180 gr factory loads, so I took it out to shoot. That thing recoiled so fast it was like something out of a ninja movie. It became a 250 Sav., which was the plan all along.

I think I still have that barrel somewhere, if somebody needs it.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
8 bore black powder rifle, 850 gn round ball at 1400 fps pushed by 300 gns BP in a 10 lb steel butted rifle.

Things that make you go WTF?

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tom264
When S&W's 329 came out I found a guy peddling one with a box of 49 rounds at a gunshow for $400....should've bought the darned thing.

It would been a good one to pick up, then put on some grips off the S&W 500 and life would be good!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Who was the genius that bought the 6-1/2 lb .458? I wouldn't think it much fun to shoot!

Thinking that one was built for when the mother in law wanted to go to elk camp... grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
About a year after I got the 10ga, Mossberg came out with a 3 1/2" 12ga pump that weighed about 2 pounds. Couple of friends of mine bought them. Absolutely made the boys belly-crawl when they shot them with 2 1/4 oz loads. Offered me the opportunity to share in the fun but I declined.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You haven't lived until the day you need to sight in a newly scoped 870 pump slug gun with 2 oz slugs... Fun times...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Tom264
Harrington & Richardson single shot 12 gauge 3" magnum with 2 oz turkey loads.. I'll put it up with any of the above.

Uhh, huh my old 12 ga. Ithaca 66 supersingle will get your attention with turkey loads too.

Yep 870 sighting in a scope with 12 ga. 3" mag turkey loads, took 5 shot to center on forty yard target left 8" diameter bruise on my shoulder.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sako AV 338WM, shooting prone downhill, with butt of stock not firmly anchored cry.

Naught's had, alls spent
When desire is got without content
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth
You haven't lived until the day you need to sight in a newly scoped 870 pump slug gun with 2 oz slugs... Fun times...

I've never had someone sight in a gun for me b4, but if I ever have a need to sight in a rig like that I'll give you a call... grin. Come on, help a brotha out.

Dober

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
358 Norma Magnum in a Schultz & Larsen 65. I was sneaking along a steep mountain side when suddenly gravel and small rocks tumbled towards me. I look just about straight up and there stands a bull elk and three cows about 150 yards above me. I shouldered the rifle, put the crosshairs were they should be and fired. Recoil drove me to the right and off balance. I thought I dislocated my shoulder...I didn't but it hurt for days.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Another vote for the 870 Super Mag Pump. Lightweight synthetic camo stock. 3 1/2" turkey loads. Definitly made an impression (no pun intended) on me.
First time I ever shot it was at a crow....flying directly over head. The crow burst into a puff of feathers, and I truly thought he got off easier than my shoulder.

Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,040
Posts18,500,763
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.